• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Edit List - Read or Die OVA

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano*

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:17 am Reply with quote
I agree that AS should have beaten out Tech TV in airing the R.O.D. TV series. I rather see that on AS than that crappy Sealab 2021 garbage.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:19 am Reply with quote
Why is this discussion in this forum?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:21 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Why is this discussion in this forum?

Because it deals with the most recent edition of the column "The Edit List".
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:38 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I agree that AS should have beaten out Tech TV in airing the R.O.D. TV series. I rather see that on AS than that crappy Sealab 2021 garbage.

Well, don't get too comfortable then. Adult Swim has something like 3 or 4 new in-house comedy series in development, plus new episodes of their current shows. They seem to be slacking off in the anime department, comparitively anyway.
Vekou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I disagree. Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Super Milk-Chan and R.O.D. are all brand new for October/November 2004. I wouldn't call that slacking at all. That's admirable.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:26 pm Reply with quote
sinistertaco wrote:
biliano wrote:

Well, don't get too comfortable then. Adult Swim has something like 3 or 4 new in-house comedy series in development, plus new episodes of their current shows. They seem to be slacking off in the anime department, comparitively anyway.

Like Vekou said, they are airing anime. They got some anime movies to air next year. Besides, Adult Swim is not a block of just anime. It's comedy shows bring in more ratings than anime. Kyle, I heard that there was an edit on another message board. When that pole goes through Ganjo's neck, some blood was deleted.
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:57 pm Reply with quote
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:
sinistertaco wrote:
biliano wrote:

Like Vekou said, they are airing anime. They got some anime movies to air next year. Besides, Adult Swim is not a block of just anime. It's comedy shows bring in more ratings than anime. Kyle, I heard that there was an edit on another message board. When that pole goes through Ganjo's neck, some blood was deleted.

Well, that's fine, but most of those series were in negotiations before the Saturday action lineup began struggling, pulling in as little as half the ratins of the comedy block.

If you haven't noticed, Adult Swim is less than happy with the numbers their anime-centric lineup is drawing.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:23 pm Reply with quote
sinistertaco wrote:

If you haven't noticed, Adult Swim is less than happy with the numbers their anime-centric lineup is drawing.

The anime lineup has always struggled compared to the comedy block, yet they still obtain plenty of new series to show. There's only so much you can show when you have to split the time with the comedy block.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:46 pm Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken, the anime portion of Adult Swim is still a rather popular part of the network's overall programming lineup, it just loses out to the comedy segment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I really don't understand why so many people are surprised with the things that aren't edited out of the anime that airs on AS. One need look no further than their own Sealab 2021 to see just how much they get away with.
jstillion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I saw Outlaw Star for the 1st time on Adult Swim, later on I picked up the series box set and never released how edited it was. Glad to hear they loosened up a bit. I did really enjoy ROD OVA.
Vekou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:25 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
I really don't understand why so many people are surprised with the things that aren't edited out of the anime that airs on AS. One need look no further than their own Sealab 2021 to see just how much they get away with.

If you've been watching Adult Swim since day one, you'd know that their editing standards have loosened drastically. When you compare Cowboy Bebop's edits to, say, Wolf's Rain's edits (or lack of, for that matter), it becomes clear that we have come a long way in the last three years.
jstillion wrote:
I saw Outlaw Star for the 1st time on Adult Swim, later on I picked up the series box set and never released how edited it was. Glad to hear they loosened up a bit. I did really enjoy ROD OVA.

Outlaw Star was edited to Toonami standards, and was never "de-edited" for Adult Swim. The same happened to Tenchi Muyo!, Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083, and Pilot Candidate.
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:44 am Reply with quote
I was kind of surprised that the ROD OVA on AS didn't try to translate any of the onscreen Japanese text. I know we Americans tend to be dead-set against subtitles on our television programs, but I thought some scenes were potentially confusing. For example, early on as Yomiko is going book-shopping there is a sign posted with her picture at one of the stores that says something like "This is our best customer." Since they didn't try to translate it at all, it could have been a wanted poster for all the viewers knew.

I guess subtitles were probably out of the question and it might have been too costly to create overlays for the broadcast. Still, I couldn't help but think of those new to ROD and how this affected their understanding of what was going on.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:20 am Reply with quote
BrianRuh wrote:
I was kind of surprised that the ROD OVA on AS didn't try to translate any of the onscreen Japanese text. I know we Americans tend to be dead-set against subtitles on our television programs, but I thought some scenes were potentially confusing. For example, early on as Yomiko is going book-shopping there is a sign posted with her picture at one of the stores that says something like "This is our best customer." Since they didn't try to translate it at all, it could have been a wanted poster for all the viewers knew.

I guess subtitles were probably out of the question and it might have been too costly to create overlays for the broadcast. Still, I couldn't help but think of those new to ROD and how this affected their understanding of what was going on.

The subtitles that were on the disc were horrid. I don't know who chose the color scheme but they were black letters against a dark background. Pretty worthless, if you ask me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:24 am Reply with quote
Hey, fignuts, I rather like Sealab 2021. Of course I think their best comedy show is Venture Brothers. That's just one of the funniest shows on TV for me.

I too hope for more anime, but their home grown shows are nice too and have been there since its conception. Adult Swim is for anime and adult comedy toon too.

Of course I'm glad to see they got Super Milkchan and are exploring odd Japanese comedy as well.

-Xenos
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2