• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 20,000 Evangelion Mobile Phones Sell Out in 5 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
I'll bet there will be an English-language version of the phone when (and IF) Eva 2.0 comes out over here.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 90,000 yen more like $200?

The rate of the yen changes what, daily? Weekly? Luckily there is an easy way to figure out what yens are in dollars. Just take off the last 2 digits of the yen amount and that's the amount in dollars. That will give you a general amount.

So 100,000 yen = about $1000 or 1000 yen = about $10. Just think that 1 yen = 1 US penny. It's been a good generalization since the late 90's to now.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
If I could start making some ridiculous amount, I would spend that kind of money in a heartbeat, but definitely not in this economy even though spending is "good" for this economy. However, I actually expected it to sell out faster say in about 2 hours rather than 5. I guess things are beginning to lose hype as expected due to the huge financial crisis.
sarsman45

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Minimum wage in Japan must be like $30 an hour.

it actually depends on your job.. so if you work fast food, you would get like 10 an hour, but if you have an awesome job, 30-50 is average but things cost more than they do in the states by a lot... I mean a lot Sad
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, Eva is serious business in Japan.
Laughing

To be fair, this thing looks like is has a seriously good camera and has a 3.3 inch screen for videos and the camera (which is only a little smaller than the iTouch's screen). I can't really tell much else, though, the specs given on the official website aren't much to go off of. Nonetheless, seeing as an iTouch was almost half of that when it came out (and was selling out everywhere), it's pretty amazing to see something twice as much sell out like this, even if it's a collector's item.

I've been trying to look up the non-EVA version of the phone to see what it's going for for comparison. I'm not finding anything on phone related sites, but one blog reports it as ~59,000 (They reported the EVA version as ~85,000, so adjust that estimation as you will)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Although it is an expensive phone, it looks really nice.

I just wish that I could get one (and use it) outside of Japan.
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
I'll bet there will be an English-language version of the phone when (and IF) Eva 2.0 comes out over here.

I doubt it. Japan's cell phone technology is leaps and bounds beyond ours. We're just now getting in G3 technology here in the States, but Japan was using G3 at least 5 years ago, if not at the turn of the millennium. They're probably up to like G5 or G6 by now. Wink

I guess they could take the body of the phone, rip out the awesome Japanese guts, and put in crappy American cellphone tech, but I wonder if that would be worth it to them (or us)?
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
The phone looks cool and I am big Evangelion fan. But nine hundred dollars? Shocked I'm not that big a fan.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to have that phone, but no way I'm paying that price...

So the movie will release here on the 31st hmmm? Has a blu-ray version been announced yet? Because I'm waiting for that...
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
So the movie will release here on the 31st hmmm? Has a blu-ray version been announced yet? Because I'm waiting for that...

No, the announcement was made on the 31st last year. Release will happen before then, I imagine.

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
However, I actually expected it to sell out faster say in about 2 hours rather than 5. I guess things are beginning to lose hype as expected due to the huge financial crisis.

Nope. Hype isn't being lost. If 5000 of the pre-order slots had failed to fill on day one, I still wouldn't call that lost hype.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Cool phone. EVA factor wins.

But... actual cooler anime phone, a la Eden of the East:
http://www.thebanzaieffect.com/articles/jellokun/nec-releasing-an-actual-eden-of-the-east-phone/
cetriya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:

http://www.thebanzaieffect.com/articles/jellokun/nec-releasing-an-actual-eden-of-the-east-phone/

EofE cell phone is much more sexy Very Happy
yanigurl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:25 am Reply with quote
waaaaaaah! can't it be more cheaper? Crying or Very sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
I'm holding out for the Pen Pen bath set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm holding out for the Pen Pen bath set.

In all fairness, that's the sort of merchandise I'd prefer. When an Eva-related gadget costs far more than the complete series, I question whether it's worth purchasing. It's a striking design, but phones live in pockets, and as such I try not to be wooed by their aesthetics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:

If I had too much money and wasn't (weren't?) totally afraid of losing expensive things, I would buy one. Best mobile phone design ever. Who cares about features anyway?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3