• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Central Park Media's Licenses Offered by Liquidator

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Area 88 and Slayers have also have been acquired by ADV and Funi.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
why the flip isn't Munto on the list?
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Someone needs to pick up the La Blue Girl series!!! It's a CLASSIC!!!
Very Happy
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
It's going to be difficult to get a lot of companies interested in these shows since many of them are a couple decades old and have already seen the best of sales. Still, there might be a few who would try some sort of on-line download or streaming service with a few of the titles, but DVD releases could be difficult.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
why the flip isn't Munto on the list?

It could be that while CPM produced the dub and sub translations, the materials and copyright might be retained by Kyoto Animation.

Other titles already reoffered by others-
-Area 88 [w/ ADV's new dub]
-Angel Sanctuary [rereleased by Media Blasters]
-Black Jack [offered on Itunes by Tezuka film alongside other Osamu Tezuka shows, though no DVD rights holders at the moment]
- assorted Anime18 titles and webdomain rights bought by and rereleased by RightStuf
-Here is Greenwood [2-disc set w/new dub from Media Blasters a few years ago]
- Manga Ent has TV rights for Descendants of Darkness [which they had also done for some of CPM's movies like Time Strange and N&T,H&T, which ADV subsequently picked up for DVD], and broadcasts it on SCIFI.

I'm curious if we'll see assorted companies pick up remaining titles, or if ADV has a number of them already and will just announce them as release dates come up.....

From what I recall, none of CPM's manga titles have been rescued or licensed by others [TPop released the Slayers novels, which CPM hadn't]
WhosAsking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
And (Agent) Aika is now held by Bandai, who has gone on to release Aika R-16 as well.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
It's going to be difficult to get a lot of companies interested in these shows since many of them are a couple decades old and have already seen the best of sales. Still, there might be a few who would try some sort of on-line download or streaming service with a few of the titles, but DVD releases could be difficult.

As ADV has already snatched up some of these, including the violence ridden retro-tastic Darkside Blues and MD Geist, I imagine most of these might appeal to distributors- pre-made dubs/subtitles, dvd ready materials, some with solid cult followings, makes for an inexpensive product with an existing market. I don't imagine that everything's going to find a home, but there's some stuff here that is pretty solid.

Just remembered another-
-Iria has been released a few times now by Media Blasters, the most recent a 3-disc economy collection. They also released the live action movies.
-Zenki was license rescued by Media Blasters in the past, who released the series in 4 boxsets a number of years ago. I think it might be OOP at the moment (boxsets are hard to find), though MB might still retain the rights to it.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I know most of these titles are pretty well looked down upon by the majority of the fanbase nowadays but, I think it would be great if someone would re-license these (Media Blasters or ADV, even Funimation). It'd be silly for Funimation not to go after Yu Yu Hakusho the Movie since they already have the TV show. I'd love for someone to grab these titles: Akai Hayate; Detonator Orgun; Hades Project Zeorymer; the Humanoid; Hyper Speed Grandoll; Legend of Lemnear; the Rumik World OVA's; Crystal Triangle; Dog Soldier; Ayane's High Kick; Harmageddon; Odin; Roots Search; RG Veda; Ariel (both of them); Zeguy; Grappler Baki; Patlabor both OVA & tv series; Takegami; Yotoden; Dominion; Explorer Woman Ray; Record of Lodoss War OVA & TV; Utena TV & Movie; Project A-ko (all of it); Demon City Shinjuku; Dancougar; Blue Sonnet; Peacock King; Gall Force (all of it); Ultimate Teacher; Wanna Be's; A Wind Named Amnesia; They Were 11; Gowcaizer; and Arslan

Sorry about the long list. All of these are fun titles and a lot of them were some of the first anime I ever saw. I have a lot of them on one format or another, but it'd be nice to see them re-released with a remastered transfer or even put on DVD at all in most cases. Most of the stuff is quite old and most folks nowadays snub their noses at them but, for the old collector like me, it'd be great to have even half of these titles on DVD with a nice transfer. One can only hope I suppose. Anyway, kinda sad to see CPM going out like this...they're one of the last of the old guard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
So if I got enough money, I can buy these licenses?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
It's be a super huge win if Crunchyroll or Hulu could grab some of this stuff and get it online.

Daimao Raki wrote:

Legally and technically, yes. Although you'd have to go through alot of legal legwork that's probably a major hassle for someone who works fulltime.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow, CPM licensed a lot of hentai titles. Perhaps will Funimation pick them up and gain a new reputation?
WhosAsking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
Wow, CPM licensed a lot of hentai titles. Perhaps will Funimation pick them up and gain a new reputation?
I doubt it. They've kept out of the hentai arena so far, and since they also deal with children's programming, it would perhaps be best to steer clear. Also, ADV has done hentai in the past, but I think they've kept quiet recently--they might want Twin Angels, though, since they already possess the Twin Dolls prequel. The two most prominent companies who might pick up the hentai titles would be Media Blasters (through their Kitty label) and Nozomi/RightStuf (through the Critical Mass label).
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
UtenaUtenaUtenaUtenaUtenaUtenaUtena...

*ahem* Sorry, just one of my favorite series of all time. Of course, were the license grabbed up, at this point I hope whoever took it would invest in getting the remastered version someone posted screencaps to a ways back on the forum. It really deserves it, it's such a phenomenal series!

That said, a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush, and anything more affordable than bidding for old copies on ebay would be appreciated.

(edited for a typo)

Last edited by vashfanatic on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:

I think you'd still have to go through the japanese rights holders- getting CPM's materials would just make things easier. And depending on the materials and what rights the japanese holders have on them, I imagine you'd have to give them to whoever gets the DVD rights.
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Just remembered another-
-Iria has been released a few times now by Media Blasters, the most recent a 3-disc economy collection. They also released the live action movies.

Yeah, I didn't expect to see that on the list. I have that collection, and on the back it says published by d-rights, but then has the Media Blasters web address on the back and a Media Blasters insert inside. So I'm not sure what that's all about.

All I know is, if I had the time and money I would love to buy the rights to Record of Lodoss War, RoLW Legend of the Heroic Knight and The Legend of Arslan. Some of my all time favs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4