• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Fall 2012 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

No need. I've subscribed to CR for around 2 years now. Well, a long time. I'm not sure how long. I meant BD *on my TV*. I want to see it in the best possible way that I can, and that means BD on my 46" 1080p TV. I *have* been tempted to watch it on CR, but I've resisted. I can be *very* stubborn when I want to be, and I'm not budging on this *because* of all the good things I've heard about it. If it were a lesser series, I wouldn't mind watching it on my computer.

You realize that HDTVs are just glorified Computer monitors, right?

Basically, you have every opportunity to watch the show, but you aren't going to take it. Got it.

When my 24" monitor up and expands itself to 46", I'll be sure to watch it on that instead. Until then, it'll remain a 24" monitor and far smaller than my 46" TV. Are you really trying to tell me that the experience of watching something on my monitor is as good as watching it on my TV? I watched Fate/Zero on my monitor, and the whole time I was wishing I could watch it on my TV instead. So, no, not for me, anyway. If that works for you, then so be it, but it doesn't work as well for me.

I really don't get why you would want me to watch an excellent anime on anything less than the best means I have to view it on.

TVs and Monitors are the exact same thing now, except that PC monitors are generally made smaller . Would you refuse to watch anime on a 46" PC monitor, just because thats how its advertised and sold? Both can connect to BD players these days, so the difference is pretty much nil.

Plus, if you want to watch it on your 46 inch tv so badly, nothing is stopping you from connecting it to your PC. Except maybe if you don't have 10 dollars for the cord.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
TVs and Monitors are the exact same thing now, except that PC monitors are generally made smaller . Would you refuse to watch anime on a 46" PC monitor, just because thats how its advertised and sold? Both can connect to BD players these days, so the difference is pretty much nil.

I do realize that. But 24" is not 46". Even when I switch to fullscreen while watching Crunchyroll streamed in 1080p, it's not the same experience as watching a BD on my 46" TV.

I do want to watch PMMM, and someday I will. Eventually, Aniplex is going to stop trying to charge such a ridiculously high price (which I refuse to support by refusing to buy it) for 13 episodes and drop it down to something more reasonable (check out the Region 2 price). When that happens I *will* buy it, but not before.

dtm42,

You seem to think that your standards are (or should be) held by everyone else. They're not. I value different things than you do, and value some of the same things differently than you do. You need to realize this, and you need to realize *what that means*. Just because *you* were willing to watch the fansub of PMMM and were happy to see it that way doesn't mean that *I* want to watch it that way.

When I see a show fansubbed or even streamed and subbed (like on CR), and I think I am *really* going to like the show, I will *stop* watching it and wait for the dubbed version to come out and also wait for it to be available for purchase. That way, I can see it the way *I* want to see it. The exception to this is if I'm reasonably certain it wont be released in the US and/or will never be dubbed. I don't do this for most shows, only for the really, really good ones.

You have your own preferences; I have mine. Yours works for you, and *mine work for me*. It's really that simple. I'm not going to look down my nose at how you prefer to see anime, even if I were to think it was inferior to my own method, because you aren't me, and how you view it is up to you, not me. I think it's fair for me to expect the same sort of consideration in return.

BTW, that list you responded to: I've seen all of FMA: Brotherhood, F/Z, Nanoha A's, and K-On from that list. The ones I haven't seen on it, I have either seen a bit of and rejected (Code Geass and Gintama), or known from the start it wasn't something I would like (Clannad). The rest I've seen, and three of them I own entirely (K-On, Soul Eater, and Nanoha A's).

And speaking of my list, I wasn't trying to be dishonest with you. I actually try to make sure that I have some idea of what I'm rating before I actually rate something. Since I think that the list exists for rating shows, if I didn't rate the show, there's no need to put it on the list. It's that simple. It's not some diabolical attempt to mislead those who peruse it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Plus, if you want to watch it on your 46 inch tv so badly, nothing is stopping you from connecting it to your PC. Except maybe if you don't have 10 dollars for the cord.

I have a 32" T.V. that I bought purely to be the monitor for my archive computer. It's glorious; I've never had anything beyond a 17" before. Sure, I had to buy an HDMI cable to make it work but it was worth it.

Key, it is not my intention to harass Tuor_of_Gondolin. But since they responded to me, I think I have the right to reply.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I really don't get why you would want me to watch an excellent anime on anything less than the best means I have to view it on.

This is just an excuse. A fancy setup is not needed to enjoy PMMM, so I don't understand why you keep on insisting that you must have the Blu-Ray. After all, whether you watch it on a 15.6" laptop screen or a 46" HDTV screen, it won't change the writing or the character development.

If you really must have the best quality, buy the Blu-Rays. Or, download the 1080p Blu-Ray rips, hook your laptop/computer up to your T.V. and voilà.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I do want to watch PMMM, and someday I will. Eventually, Aniplex is going to stop trying to charge such a ridiculously high price (which I refuse to support by refusing to buy it) for 13 episodes and drop it down to something more reasonable (check out the Region 2 price). When that happens I *will* buy it, but not before.

Ever thought about second-hand?

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
You seem to think that your standards are (or should be) held by everyone else.

Wrong. [Then prove it or don't make the accusation. Others can have their own opinions and you should respect that or you're just getting back in to dangerous territory.]

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
When I see a show fansubbed or even streamed and subbed (like on CR), and I think I am *really* going to like the show, I will *stop* watching it and wait for the dubbed version to come out and also wait for it to be available for purchase. That way, I can see it the way *I* want to see it. The exception to this is if I'm reasonably certain it wont be released in the US and/or will never be dubbed. I don't do this for most shows, only for the really, really good ones.

I have to wonder what the point of this is. You can re-watch series you've finished, you know.

And besides, if it is a really good show, why do you refuse to pay a little bit more for it, hmm? Premium products deserve premium prices, didn't you know?

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
You have your own preferences; I have mine. Yours works for you, and *mine work for me*. It's really that simple. I'm not going to look down my nose at how you prefer to see anime, even if I were to think it was inferior to my own method, because you aren't me, and how you view it is up to you, not me. I think it's fair for me to expect the same sort of consideration in return.

Well they quite plainly don't work for you because your precious preferences are what's stopping you from watching a show you wish to see.

I'm not going to think that how you view Anime is fine because your system is messed up.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
And speaking of my list, I wasn't trying to be dishonest with you. I actually try to make sure that I have some idea of what I'm rating before I actually rate something. Since I think that the list exists for rating shows, if I didn't rate the show, there's no need to put it on the list. It's that simple. It's not some diabolical attempt to mislead those who peruse it.

Quite frankly you were being deceitful. You accused me of not reading your list closely enough because you'd already seen a bit of Death Note and Code Geass - two Anime that aren't on your list in the first place.

Accusing me of not reading something carefully enough when the information was never there in the first place is dishonest no matter how you slice it. If it was a simple mistake (you genuinely thought you'd added the titles but you'd forgotten to) then that would have been okay. But as you admitted, they were never there at all, so no matter how closely I'd scanned your list I wouldn't have found them.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

This is just an excuse. A fancy setup is not needed to enjoy PMMM, so I don't understand why you keep on insisting that you must have the Blu-Ray. After all, whether you watch it on a 15.6" laptop screen or a 46" HDTV screen, it won't change the writing or the character development.

If you really must have the best quality, buy the Blu-Rays. Or, download the 1080p Blu-Ray rips, hook your laptop/computer up to your T.V. and voilà.

It's like, you only read the parts that you want to read, and ignore the rest. I've already decided how I want to see it. I spent a lot of money for my TV. I have it set up the way I want it. I have a high quality Blu-ray player hooked up to it. I have a nice couch in front of it. When I see PMMM, *that* is the way I'm going to see it. Do you also expect me to eat the same way you do, the same foods you do? Would you like me to imitate everything about you? I'm pretty sure that the answer to that will be "no". So *why do you demand that I watch anime the same way you do?* It doesn't make sense.

Furthermore, you act like I don't know how to hook things up the way I want them. I'm pretty sure that I've been hooking up stuff for a lot longer than you've been alive. I didn't ask for nor do I need any advice from you on how to go about it. Can you honestly tell me that if I started harping on you the way you're doing to me that you would be okay with it? I think not. Seriously, you need to think about other people's point of view, and that we're not all dtm42 clones that need your guidence in order to appreciate our anime.

You admit that you don't understand why I insist on watching it for the first time on Blu-Ray. It's because *I want to* see it that way. Is this really so hard to understand? My preferences are different than yours, so *of course* I'm going want things that don't really matter to you.

Now, I've said far, far more than enough on this matter. I'm sure the rest of the guys reading this (assuming they aren't just wisely skipping these posts), are getting pretty sick of this sort of trivial stuff. If, after all of this, you still can't grasp my point, then I'm just going to have to concede that I lack the ability to explain it to you and move on. Hopefully, though, I've gotten across what I'm trying to say and we can continue on all peaceful-like and respectful and stuff.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:45 am Reply with quote
For someone who has spent a lot of money on a nice couch and a high-end T.V. and Blu-Ray player combo, you are exceptionally cheap when it comes to buying Anime. All this hassle because you insist on only buying premium products at clearance-sale prices.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Hopefully, though, I've gotten across what I'm trying to say and we can continue on all peaceful-like and respectful and stuff.

Yes, peaceful. But respectful? Uh, no. Too late for that. What you have said has drastically lowered my opinion of you. It's sad, and I certainly didn't ask you to say all those things. But you did, and now we both have to live with it.

I think we've both said enough, so this is the last post I will make on this subject.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:53 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

When my 24" monitor up and expands itself to 46", I'll be sure to watch it on that instead. Until then, it'll remain a 24" monitor and far smaller than my 46" TV. Are you really trying to tell me that the experience of watching something on my monitor is as good as watching it on my TV? I watched Fate/Zero on my monitor, and the whole time I was wishing I could watch it on my TV instead. So, no, not for me, anyway. If that works for you, then so be it, but it doesn't work as well for me.

Cables
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
I just realised that I forgot to thank RyanSaotome for actually deigning to go out on a limb and mentioning titles that he thought were good. Even if I don't agree with some of his choices, at the very least he has guts.
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
Well, Madoka might not be in my top ten for the decade, but it's sure in the running for most obnoxiously pushy fanbase, clearly!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Cables

I know that there are ways to hook up your TV to your GPU via a HDMI cable. I'm not interested in doing so. I want to lie on my couch, BD-player remote in hand, and watch my anime with the maximum fidelity I can get. That is how I intend to watch PMMM when I finally get it. All of these "suggestions" aren't going to change that. This doesn't seem very complicated, so I don't understand why some people appear to be struggling with this viewpoint. If you, Fencedude, want to hook up your system to work that way, then knock yourself out. I hope you enjoy the way you've decided to watch your anime; I know that I enjoy the way *I* have decided to watch my anime.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:35 am Reply with quote
I'm going to commit social suicide and say I agree with RyanSaotome in that Madoka isn't the best show of the decade. I haven't watched every show produced in the past 10 years, but I've watched plenty that I thought made more sense, and had a much better ending.

Honestly PMMM was amazing all through the first 10 episodes except for spoiler[Madoka doing nothing in spite of being the title character but the ending felt so Deus Ex Machina pulled-out-of-sleeve-because-can't-figure-out-how-to-save-these-poor-miserable-girls stuff]. Also, the only spoiler[god] I believe in isspoiler[ Haruhi]

I'm not going to enter a long discussion about it, because I know that disliking Madoka is as bad as kicking a crippled orphaned puppy in this forum, and I'm not in the mood for being bullied over disagreeing with the general opinion.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:39 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Gen Urobuchi a new animated PV of Psycho Pass is coming out today,also people who were at the event in which they showed first two episodes of it really liked them.They were apparently reminded of Ghost in the Shell and Blade Runner.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:05 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
...because I know that disliking Madoka is as bad as kicking a crippled orphaned puppy...

I don't know. The crippled orphaned puppy would have to be really cute, and have at least two debilitating illnesses (preferably three, to be on the safe side). And you'd have to be kicking it with steel-capped shoe at size thirteen or larger.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Speaking of Gen Urobuchi a new animated PV of Psycho Pass is coming out today,also people who were at the event in which they showed first two episodes of it really liked them.They were apparently reminded of Ghost in the Shell and Blade Runner.

oh? this is good news!
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood was ridden with plot-holes, completely shat on Trisha Elric (A.K.A. the person who spoiler[is the whole reason the entire show even happened in the first place]), and just was inferior to the original series.

I feel like I have to jump in here because really? You do realize that Brotherhood was pretty much based exactly off of the manga, right? The original series took a complete turn for the bizarre after episode 25 once it deviated away from the original canon. I mean, does anyone remember RoboArcher? Come on.

I'm not saying the original series wasn't enjoyable in its own trainwreck kind of way, but Brotherhood certainly isn't worse unless you think the manga itself is bad.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
Re: Shinsekai yori/From the New World...

Quote:
I first had the idea for it over 30 years ago when I'd just entered university. It came to me after I read the book, On Aggression, published in 1970 by Australian ethologist Roland Lorenz.

Umm.. I don't know if it was the translator or the author himself, but "On Aggression" was written by the renowned Austrian ethologist Konrad Lorenz...

Also the character description has Maria's name as Marina, twice. Wtf, ANN? Very Happy

rahzel.rose wrote:
I'm not saying the original series wasn't enjoyable in its own trainwreck kind of way, but Brotherhood certainly isn't worse unless you think the manga itself is bad.

So if I think the manga is bad and I vastly prefer the first anime to both the manga and Brotherhood, will I be chased out of town by a torch-and-pitchfork wielding mob? Twisted Evil (Btw I don't think the manga is bad, I just found it unremarkable and boring.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 33 of 39