• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Fall 2012 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
So if I think the manga is bad and I vastly prefer the first anime to both the manga and Brotherhood, will I be chased out of town by a torch-and-pitchfork wielding mob? Twisted Evil (Btw I don't think the manga is bad, I just found it unremarkable and boring.)

Yup. I've been polishing my pitchfork for just such an occasion. Wink
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
The first season of FMA was a wreck after they went to filler. Its like the anime script writers were trying to make the most extravagant story they could. Its like they all got together and thought up cool ideas and added them all into the story, not caring whether they fit or contradicted eachother. And it had one of the lamest villains I know of.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
rahzel.rose wrote:
I feel like I have to jump in here because really? You do realize that Brotherhood was pretty much based exactly off of the manga, right?

Yes, I know.

It seems like you fail to understand that Manga can have plot holes and be badly written. You also seem not to realise that Anime adaptations can improve upon the writing of the original Manga. Case in point: the way the first series handled Trisha Elric was far, far better than in Brotherhood.
shinigami_aka

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
So, shoujo's a guilty pleasure of mine. The plan was to check out the first episode of the three this season.

But Say I Love You sounds A LOT like Kimi ni Todoke. And dear God do I hate Kimi-ni-drag-it-out-Todoke. I don't know which half of that couple grated my nerves the most.

So if there's any shoujo manga readers here, I'm curious about Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and Kamisama Hajimemashite. Are the characters likable? Do they have a backbone when they need to? Is the story somewhat clever/unique?

I mean, I'll probably watch all the first episodes anyway. I was just curious if anyone had thoughts.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
shinigami_aka wrote:
So, shoujo's a guilty pleasure of mine. The plan was to check out the first episode of the three this season.

But Say I Love You sounds A LOT like Kimi ni Todoke. And dear God do I hate Kimi-ni-drag-it-out-Todoke. I don't know which half of that couple grated my nerves the most.

So if there's any shoujo manga readers here, I'm curious about Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and Kamisama Hajimemashite. Are the characters likable? Do they have a backbone when they need to? Is the story somewhat clever/unique?

I mean, I'll probably watch all the first episodes anyway. I was just curious if anyone had thoughts.

I can see where people get the idea that SILY is a lot like KnT, but having read both series, SILY definitely doesn't drag like KnT, and Mei is pretty badass. She's not a completely passive character.

Kamisama Hajimemashite I've read the first three volumes of, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I like the main girl a lot and I think it's a super cute series. Plus I really like Tachibana Shinnosuke, so I'm excited to hear him as Tomoe.

As for Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun . . . I'd heard about it and when I saw that it was going to be made into an anime, I decided to check out the manga. I made it halfway through the first chapter until I got to the part where the main guy drags the main girl into an alley and says "If you make any noise, I'll rape you." This immediately turned me off because that was entirely unnecessary for what that whole situation turns out to be, and I haven't gone back to try and read more since. TO BE FAIR, I haven't read it in Japanese yet, so it could be that that's not what he actually says as opposed to how the scanlator translated it. But as it stands right now, I need a cooling off period from the series.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:
K... well, the production values and animation look very good. But with so many handsome/cute young men and women in the ensemble cast, it looks like a show targeted squarely at teenyboppers, fujoshi and otaku. Neutral Not really my thing.

If they were truly aiming for males as well, wouldn't it make more sense to balance out the guy-girl ratio?

Why?
kpk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The first season of FMA was a wreck after they went to filler. Its like the anime script writers were trying to make the most extravagant story they could. Its like they all got together and thought up cool ideas and added them all into the story, not caring whether they fit or contradicted eachother. And it had one of the lamest villains I know of.

Wrong.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Wrong.

For another opinion, I quickly lost interest in the second half of the original FMA (and had not read the manga, and did not really give a shit if it followed the manga) and never actually finished it, but found all of Brotherhood to be fantastic.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The main problem I see is that with a show like Tiger & Bunny, nobody has any kind of issue with the main characters, even though they are an assortment of popular fujoshi fetishes. Yet, if you had the exact same show, but with two girls with a lot of popular otaku fetishes, everyone would just complain and not even watch it. Thats where the double standards come from.

I wonder just how true this is? Take, for example, the series Dirty Pair.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
shinigami_aka wrote:

SILY does not drag on like KnT. Sawako is like so fluffy while Mei is a bit tougher.

Kaibutsu-kun, in my opinion is quite good. The heroine isn't a crybaby, only sometimes she still annoyed me with her attitude....maybe that's just me.

KamiHaji has to be my fave from the three shoujos. Nanami is very likeable though things in this manga so a bit slowly, its still worth it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:
K... well, the production values and animation look very good. But with so many handsome/cute young men and women in the ensemble cast, it looks like a show targeted squarely at teenyboppers, fujoshi and otaku. Neutral Not really my thing.

If they were truly aiming for males as well, wouldn't it make more sense to balance out the guy-girl ratio?

Why?

To give everyone a fair share of opportunity to attach towards some characters.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
The main problem I see is that with a show like Tiger & Bunny, nobody has any kind of issue with the main characters, even though they are an assortment of popular fujoshi fetishes. Yet, if you had the exact same show, but with two girls with a lot of popular otaku fetishes, everyone would just complain and not even watch it. Thats where the double standards come from.

Two very sexual and scantily clad single women, very easy on the eyes.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
So anyone checkout From the New World yet? Yeah I know it isn't legal yet, but still...
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

The show that arguably prompted the term still in use for the pairing of two female characters?

Also, its from the 80s so its basically exempt from criticism around here.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll's added their fall simulcast page now. In addition to the 4 shows announced so far, it looks like we got at least 6 more announcements coming. I'm hoping that list will grow a little.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 39