• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Burn After Playing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the review on the FFVI sequels. It reminds me how I still need to finish the game. Unneeded or not, it's still nice to see some of the older FFs get some love. There were some great cosplays from it this year at Fanime (I swear, I think of doing FFVI and next year, everyone does it, I have a concept for FFIV, and now there's actual cosplay groups).

Gives me another reason to consider a Wii or at least hang over at my friends place. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:10 am Reply with quote
Hm, that Zelda pic looks like a Wind Waker style Great Fairy... Maybe a PH sequel? On the Wii? Three games on three systems with the same Link is unprecedented, though. (Counting GC and Wii TP as the same game).
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:57 am Reply with quote
Eeeeeeeeee new Zelda Art.

Why do I get the feeling that once FFIV AY is done being released its gonna get some kind of disk collection thing the following year?

For a downloadable collection it seems like a lot but if its really parts of the whole game and it still only hits $37. That's cheap now a days. I think I'll wait until a few more episodes come out but definitely plan to get it.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also shipping: the multi-platform Ghostbusters games. If there were a Ghostbusters anime, I could justify a full write-up, but…

Then you will be happy to know of the manga I nearly fell on the floor laughing at while in Borders this week! Tokyopop will make a manga out of anything...
sashaisme

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
NEW... WII... ZELDA!! *scene stops*

Sorry, but this fangirl moment was way too violent for the public eye......

I've been waiting for a new zelda that isn't for a handheld whatchamacallit... I hope it's good... The art is sweet... I wonder if that fairy thing is going to be his partner through the series? You know, like Navi, Midna, Tatl (WOOT), Ezlo, and the little stone thingy from WW...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
Glad to know that I wasn't the only one that said (aside from others) that the new Castlevania was borrowing some 'God of War' moves. I guess IGA is still trying to sell a 3D series. It could work, but it's hard to break away from what the old-school fans originally enjoyed.

I'm pissed that 'FFIV:TAY' is on the VC. I really wish they would release it for the DS.

As for 'Zelda', it seems they can find just about anything to make a game about. Glad to know that there is still another installment coming.
darcerin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote
Phantom Hourglass was truly boring, and made me angry, going through the whole temple each time I had to retrieve something/go down to a new level, whatever. What happened to shortcuts to spare me some time on the hourglass? Sheesh. I hope this new game is better.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
Well, anyway, the Zelda art also intrigues me since it definitely proves Nintendo is busy on a Wii Zelda.

I've got mixed feelings about this one. On one hand a new Zelda is always great news, but on the other after the disappointing Twilight Princess I remain somewhat sceptical about it, especially given Nintendo's present course (which I'm very much not a fan of). Guess we'll just have to wait and see, hopefully they'll be able to bring something new to the table.

Agreed. I've actually seen some screen shots of the new Zelda game and I am unsure if I'll pick this game up or not. Twilight Princess was a disapointment, but we'll see. But Tod's comment on the Zelda picture was priceless. I laughed for quite a while.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
like I said before and like it said in the bloody article, Lords of Shadow was just some Castlevania clone announced at GC 2008 and they just slapped on the Castlevania name as well as Kojima Productions in order to fool people. Heck, at TGS 2008 Konami even showed a teaser for the next console Castlevania that appeared to have Alucard wielding a blood red sword. I wish people would stop trying to use Kojima's name as a shield; he came in halfway through development, there's nothing he can really change.

....HOW was TP in any way a disappointment?????????????? That was the best made Zelda since OoT
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge fan of Monolith Soft, so I'm very eager for information on Monado. The new Castlevania looks intriguing, at least style-wise. If it's being supervised by Kojima Productions, it can't turn out THAT bad. I mean, worst-case scenario, it turns out playable, but not exceptional. The caption for the Zelda picture made me laugh out loud, too.

By the way, here's an interesting little tidbit I just found out: Remember a few weeks back, when you reported that Sands of Destruction was rescheduled for winter 2010? Well, Amazon.com has fortunately clarified: it IS coming out in winter 2010, but by "winter" they meant January. It's listed for a January 10 release.

Also, any hints as to the identity of the five new characters for Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom? Or was it just announced that there would be five new ones, with no further information? I hope one of them's Speed Racer (easily the most recognizable Tatsunoko property to Western fans). Speaking of which, I'm curious as to whether the game will have an English voiceover (like Street Fighter IV) or retain the Japanese voices (like a lot of other niche fighting games) or have some combination of both (like Marvel Vs. Capcom).

I was teetering on the fence about whether I might get FF4:TAY, but now I probably won't. The one thing I absolutely hate more than anything else about the old-school Final Fantasies (and most old-school JRPGs in general) is GODDAMN RANDOM BATTLES. THEY DRIVE ME INSANE, and it is my opinion that they should be ABOLISHED FROM GAMES FOREVER. If anyone else complains about the frequency of random battles in ANY game, it is almost a given that I will find them TEN TIMES MORE ANNOYING than they do. God, I could go on all day about how much I HATE random battles. I HATE THEM SO MUCH!!!!

*cough* yeah. So, uh, I'll probably pass on this new FF4. I'd much rather see the long-awaited and well-deserved remakes of FF5 and especially FF6 that SquEnix knows they need to make, and almost inevitably will... eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
B.K.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Monolith Soft, so I'm very eager for information on Monado.

It looks like it's a new game from the Soma Bringer team. Here are some screens and the trailer.

http://www.gfdata.de/archiv05-2009-gamefront/4387.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcflgnLmgms
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've seen the trailer. I should probably clarify: I'm eager for MORE information about the game. Specifically, the story, the development team, and what that whole battle system is about anyway. The only thing I can say for sure about it at this point is that the graphics could use quite a bit of work before the game is finished. Overall it looks straight-up graphically inferior to Final Fantasy XII, a game made for a system with significantly less powerful hardware. The textures in this screenshot (http://www.gfdata.de/archiv05-2009-gamefront/monando8.jpg) are so embarrassingly bad I actually laughed inadvertently.
Fortunately, it seems pretty clear that the game is still a long way from its finished form, so I'm not overly distressed just yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
I was teetering on the fence about whether I might get FF4:TAY, but now I probably won't. The one thing I absolutely hate more than anything else about the old-school Final Fantasies (and most old-school JRPGs in general) is GODDAMN RANDOM BATTLES. THEY DRIVE ME INSANE, and it is my opinion that they should be ABOLISHED FROM GAMES FOREVER. If anyone else complains about the frequency of random battles in ANY game, it is almost a given that I will find them TEN TIMES MORE ANNOYING than they do. God, I could go on all day about how much I HATE random battles. I HATE THEM SO MUCH!!!!

*cough* yeah. So, uh, I'll probably pass on this new FF4. I'd much rather see the long-awaited and well-deserved remakes of FF5 and especially FF6 that SquEnix knows they need to make, and almost inevitably will... eventually.
Uhh, you know those FF V and FF VI remakes would have random battles, right?

Also, my guess is Square isn't actually going to be doing a DS remake for V. They've already announced it's going to be released on the Virtual Console, but for some reason FF VI is not going to be (at least as of right now). Seems to me they might just be jumping straight to VI with the DS remakes.

Or maybe they just won't bother.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Don't see why not. They'd be quaranteed moneymakers and S-E certainly likes money. The FFIII/IV DS-engine should be easily able to handle V and VI too.

E: And yeah, random encounters are an ancient relic of the 8-bit era (savepoints too) and they really, really need to be completely abolished. It continues to baffle why devs still resort to using them.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
"Hardcore" gamers are the ones who shell out the bucks for "armored space marines vs ___ " first-person-shooters again and again and scoff at the idea that popular/good video games could be anything other than exquisitely rendered gorefests?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4