• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation.com Streams 2009 Fullmetal Alchemist Again

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
[reserving judgement]

Last edited by Tofusensei on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pitargo Nats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
If it isn't fixed, it really is going to make those of us who get the show legally disappointed/frustrated.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Was just about to say the new FMA ep leaked early.
Clearly they have ALONG way to go before their security measures are upto scratch.
From what I've seen, they've simply renamed the show links, removing any vowels from the titles, probably in an attempt to make them harder for people to find.
Can hardly call that a revamp though...
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Quote:
"after successfully implementing additional security measures."

Funimation's Episode 9 just leaked to bit torrent 2 days early. I think they've still got issues to sort out.

Note: I'm not downloading it to confirm if it's real or not, but the uploader hash is the same as the usual HorribleSubs guys so I'm assuming it's valid.

I wish Funi the best of luck in fixing this mess.

Why bother mentioning the leak and the group when that wasn't the first release of English subtitled ep. 9? It was the last release of English subtitled ep. 9 before the official release.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Why bother mentioning the leak and the group when that wasn't the first release of English subtitled ep. 9?

It's in the context of whether funimation fixed their security on their server or not, hikaru. It's got nothing to do with who fansubbed it first.

Like I said, it could be an elaborate troll. I just thought it was worth pointing out.
morefunthanlaw
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Funimation's Episode 9 just leaked to bit torrent 2 days early. I think they've still got issues to sort out.
Two days early? This episode already aired in Japan and the torrents followed promptly.

What leads you to believe it leaked from FUNimation? I can assure you, it did not.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
morefunthanlaw wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:
Two days early? This episode already aired in Japan and the torrents followed promptly.

What leads you to believe it leaked from FUNimation? I can assure you, it did not.

Then it was an elaborate troll and I apologize if that is the case.

I guess the only solution is to wait until the Funi stream goes live and compare the subtitles.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
The date was May 31st for raw and 1st English subtitled ep not FUNi derived for those keeping tally which is more of a threat by the way.

Tofusensei wrote:

Then it was an elaborate troll and I apologize if that is the case.

I guess the only solution is to wait until the Funi stream goes live and compare the subtitles.

Or you could just leave it up to their internet security and BayTSP to sort the details. It's not productive to keep posting when group X ripped ep Y of Funi stream title Z. If you're that concerned why not just email FUNi with your concerns? People are being paid to professionally track this kind of thing.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Guys, relax.

My intent was just to point out a potentially newsworthy item for discussion on the discussion section of an anime news site.

In retrospect, my tone was accusatory in nature, and for that, I apologize. That was not my intent.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, I for one am just glad it's back up and streaming. Hopefully there won't be any more leaks or hackers, and we can keep our legal access to anime going.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Well i'm glad. But does this mean they'll eventually stream One Piece again?
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Here I posted an assessment of Funimation new security measures, and how they could still use improvements, only to find out afterwords it was useless since it had already been leaked way before then. Seems I need to be a little more observant. It wasn't posted here because this news post and topic didn't exist when I started typing the other post. Oh well, for those interested, feel free to read my post linked to above.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
cyberbeing wrote:
Here I posted an assessment of Funimation new security measures, and how they could still use improvements, only to find out afterwords it was useless since it had already been leaked way before then. Seems I need to be a little more observant. It wasn't posted here because this news post and topic didn't exist when I started typing the other post. Oh well, for those interested, feel free to read my post linked to above.

Comparing this situation to the One Piece situation is like comparing apples to oranges. With the 5-day delay between the airing of FMA:B in Japan and the posting of new episodes on FUNimation, it's not really a "leak" if fansubs appear. The One Piece situation, on the other hand, involved an episode that had never been seen before in JAPAN. That's a much more serious case of security breach. In other words, the FUNi sub of the episode got out, which is bad. The FMA:B situation is just some yahoos subtitling it because they want it earlier, which is the same principle, but different circumstances.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Funimation simply needs a complete renovation.

restart from scratch, and make sure actual security is in place.

Look these people have no morals about stealing, they don't want to pay you any money, as they see anime as something that has no real value.

All Funimation has done is make better subs that these people will download, and Funimation simply loses money.

It's for this reason why I think streaming is due to failure except for sites like Hulu who are owned by these major websites.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to avoid this thread, but...

Funi Phantom 10 is out in the wild. It doesn't air in Japan for another 19 hours. It's been confirmed as legit. Apparently it was up on the Funi site at one point, though it's erroring now.

The security still needs improvement, guys, both best practices and technical. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5