• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Brad Behavior

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Ohhh, this is going to be one heck of a nostalgia trip! AMVs really propelled my overall anime fandom since the early 2000s.
wSwans

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Zac didn't bother doing any research on AMVs first. He continued to deride the medium without showing any evidence that he follows it. His opinion is intellectually (and creatively) bankrupt, and the interview suffers for it.
fentras

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
There's some insane level of irony going on here with the choice of interviewer and interviewee.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
AMVs are so 90s/early 00s.

Nowadays, it's all about those MADs.
irriadin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
There's a lot of misconceptions presented in the questions asked. Most AMVs do not go for pure fan pandering and are not created just to "get laughs" out of the audience. While it's true that most of these types of videos are well received by the audience at conventions, it is often seen negatively within the AMV community.

The vaaaast majority of AMVs are not comedy, but rather drama. Followed closely by action. And in drama AMVs, you see a lot of storytelling. During the other podcast with Daryl, Justin and Mike, you mentioned that you see AMVs as "not particularly creative" and "creatively bankrupt." I found this insulting. AMVs are an especially creative medium; there is much more that goes into it than merely selecting the right song and anime to "mash together." You've got to consider the tone of the song, symbolic references in visual elements, story progression, sync, effect scheme, color scheme, movement, continuity, lighting, etc.

As an AMV editor, I've spoken with my other editor friends about this topic before. AMVs are an artistic medium much like collage. You're taking different scraps of art (in this case, clips from an anime) and synthesizing them together in a meaningful, expressive way. Some of my favorite videos use custom art assets made by the editor. Others take bits of one anime and use it to enhance the mood without actually using anything identifiable from the anime (for example, Casshern Sins has some particularly gorgeous underwater backgrounds. This can be easily combined with other underwater anime.)

This AMV uses many, many different sources and even a lot of custom animation: PencilHead.
Is this creative? I think it definitely is. Is there something going on beneath the surface? Without a doubt.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
wSwans wrote:
Zac didn't bother doing any research on AMVs first. He continued to deride the medium without showing any evidence that he follows it. His opinion is intellectually (and creatively) bankrupt, and the interview suffers for it.

What's worse is that Zac is trying his best to sound like an AMV fan. Well, since we've all known what Zac's primary opinion has been on AMVs, and that in 2011 his comments on AX's contest was that it was "the Pirated Copy of Adobe AfterEffects competition", it's safe to say that Zac should have never moderated this interview.

(No offense to Brad, though. He did a good job on his side of the interview, and I did like hearing about his stories of the old days. I'd probably like to meet him at a convention someday.)
RiderG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:
(No offense to Brad, though. He did a good job on his side of the interview, and I did like hearing about his stories of the old days. I'd probably like to meet him at a convention someday.)

Brad is one of the nicest people you'd ever meet. you can't help but be put in a good mood while around him.

and his 2 year old son is ADORABLE.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Man, y'all are harsh.

I appreciate AMVs, but I've had some harsh words about them. I'm of two minds on the subject, and my questions related to that.

I don't think an interview that's just inside baseball talk about the AMV community (and talk that would pander to how the AMV community wants people to talk about their work) is particularly helpful to much of anyone. This was a general discussion about the medium and Brad's long history in the community.

I had fun doing it and Brad was a great guest. I'm sorry some of you didn't like my questions, but I stand by them.

Glory Questor wrote:

What's worse is that Zac is trying his best to sound like an AMV fan. Well, since we've all known what Zac's primary opinion has been on AMVs, and that in 2011 his comments on AX's contest was that it was "the Pirated Copy of Adobe AfterEffects competition", it's safe to say that Zac should have never moderated this interview.

Sorry I hurt your feelings with that comment, I guess, but I've never heard anyone (in person, anyway, without the wall of anonymity the internet provides) actually disagree with the truth behind that joke.
wSwans

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's asking too much for a journalist (if it's fair to call you that) to have some up to date knowledge on a topic before beginning an interview that focuses on it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
wSwans wrote:
I don't think it's asking too much for a journalist (if it's fair to call you that) to have some up to date knowledge on a topic before beginning an interview that focuses on it.

You signed up for the forums just to fling crap at me for this, so maybe you could point out at least a couple things I said that were 'out of date' and/or wrong so I can at least be educated instead of just being asked to join in with some rando on yet another pissing contest.

Something tells me you aren't actually interested in doing that, though!
fentras

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This was a general discussion about the medium and Brad's long history in the community.

The history about him pretty much being seen as a talentless hack who can't be bothered to know much of anything about the technical standards of the hobby but yet still manages to troll 50+ cons a year with his shitty videos?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
fentras wrote:
...yet still manages to troll 50+ cons a year with his shitty videos?

Now I'm interested in watching his videos, just to see if he's as bad as you say he is.
ssgwnbtd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what's going on in this topic. I didn't read it. All I know is, I'm in.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Hah, Carl Sagan. I was quite surprised seeing him in an anime, but Spirit of Wonder is one of the most different things I've come across in this medium, but it's hard to recommend in general. If you liked YKK or Aria's atmosphere mixed with the scientific curiosity in Honneamise, you should check it out.
wSwans

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
wSwans wrote:

You signed up for the forums just to fling crap at me for this, so maybe you could point out at least a couple things I said that were 'out of date' and/or wrong so I can at least be educated instead of just being asked to join in with some rando on yet another pissing contest.

Something tells me you aren't actually interested in doing that, though!

I did sign up for this forum to respond to this podcast. That doesn’t invalidate my opinions or make me troll.

I may be misquoting, but there were sentiments like “I've never seen anything that's something more than trying to get a few chuckles out of the audience," and "there's nothing beneath the surface."

You didn’t know that comedy AMVs are far under represented compared to other major AMV genres, which is common information. You seem to believe that AMVs these days merely represent the convergence of media fandoms. I can’t honestly say that this is entirely wrong, but I can say that it is unfair. If you look at random AMVs you will find many levels of skill and dedication represented, and the people who put the least amount of time per AMV can have the highest AMV output. The abundant, quickly made AMVs often are as you described them, but it would not have taken more time for you to find the works of more dedicated editors. Many people do create original content. Many people are involved in serious audio editing. Many people do create original storylines, deviating from the source material significantly. Many of us tell stories and evoke emotions not native to the media we use as source material. Planning out elegant transitions and visual flow is an art in itself, taking time, problem solving, vision, and labor. You didn’t take the time to find out what the various AMV communities have been up to, and it wouldn’t have taken much time for you to do so. The problem wasn’t really with your questions, but with the uninformed and contemptuous opinion that colored the interview throughout.

I maintain my original position; you should do better research before you begin such interviews as this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7