• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva:1.0 Film on 70+ N. American Screens This Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pataki0021

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
70 theaters isn't bad but it should be more. I think something like 400-500 theatres is appropriate.

Or at least spread them out more. 400-500 is probably generous, especially since Gibli films don't even get that.

Miyazaki's new movie "Ponyo" is getting a 800+ theater release in August
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man, I just babbled with joy - Victoria B.C. is on the list - better yet, the theatre is a ten minute walk away.
Finally, Eva in North American theatres. I've wanted this for a long time. Woo hoo!
Defiant7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
Netstryke wrote:
From Scarborough, ON
With that aside, I was noticing that all the theatres that were selected in Canada are Cineplex theatres and Cineplex is the major theatre chain across Canada.. So I'm guessing that it made things a whole lot easier for Funimation to organize.

However they might be adding more theatres with time and demand. So I suggest to those who didn't get a screening near your area to e-mail FUNi and see if you can get it.

The Empire theaters are seperate from Cineplex. But I agree the lack of different companies is probably why the showing is so widespread
Pataki0021

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:43 am Reply with quote
no love for vegas is unfortunately fail, but i guess that compensates for having the live action blood movie playing in vegas (being one of the lucky 17 locations)

personally thoguh, this shouldve been a fathomevents.com release (ie: the death note movies), sure it might be a 2 day engagement at best but at least everyone in america and canada gets a fair chance of seeing it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:59 am Reply with quote
Allison Keith sounds a little weathered in that trailer. Has she been smoking? Did they catch her on a bad day?

It's only a trailer, though. I'll probably give the dub a try, when the DVD comes out. Can't be that much worse than ADV's, even with Mike McFarland at the helm.

Yeah, I should probably wait until I get a Blu-Ray player, though. Not that I don't have plenty of time before the release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Pataki0021

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
does FUNimation usually expand on its releases theatrically or no?

the only time FUNi released anythign in Vegas was the film festival with Vexille, One Piece movie 8 and Genghis Kahn
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
If you're in an American city that doesn't have a confirmed screening yet, I suggest you get in touch with your local independent theatre owner, or, if you don't have an independent theatre, then your regional theatre chain, and, if you don't have that, then a national chain and tell them you'd be interested in attending a screening of this film.

I'd imagine that Funi wants to get a screening or two in every largish American city, but the scarcity of confirmed screenings probably represents a reluctance amongst theatre-owners in the United States to show any anime film not distributed by Disney because of perceived lack of local interest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Pataki0021 wrote:
no love for vegas is unfortunately fail, but i guess that compensates for having the live action blood movie playing in vegas (being one of the lucky 17 locations)

personally thoguh, this shouldve been a fathomevents.com release (ie: the death note movies), sure it might be a 2 day engagement at best but at least everyone in america and canada gets a fair chance of seeing it.

It does make you wonder why Fathom wasn't chosen.
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Just purchased my tickets! Yeah for beer, queso, and evangelion Smile
nagato316

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* Nothing as far as Chicago, either. I'm not completely surprised, as the Windy City is not widely known as a bustling otaku mecca, but I'm taken aback that there's not a listing for even one of the art-house type theaters up on Chicago's North Side (where anime screenings take place, if at all)...
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, I heard the Canadian dollar's worth more than the US dollar now.

So it makes sense there are more theaters there than here.

Still blows, but then again, what anime theater release in the states hasn't?

Already have the dvd from Japan coughtorrent anyway.
MacrossJunkie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why Canada gets all the frakking showings. Can someone explain to me why Toronto, ON needs four different theaters showing this. You would think that Funimation would share some of the love with the US, but I guess we're not good enough. Even here in Fayetteville, a very non-progressive military town, we have an art house theater that would have been willing to show the new EVA movie. It's like Funimation decided to not even try for the US audiences...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
MacrossJunkie wrote:
I don't understand why Canada gets all the frakking showings. Can someone explain to me why Toronto, ON needs four different theaters showing this. You would think that Funimation would share some of the love with the US, but I guess we're not good enough. Even here in Fayetteville, a very non-progressive military town, we have an art house theater that would have been willing to show the new EVA movie. It's like Funimation decided to not even try for the US audiences...

Yeah, it doesn't really make any sense maybe aside from Canadian screens being cheaper to promote on? The Canadian dollar being worth more or Canada having more fans means nothing, there are more physical fans willing to spend more living in the continental United States, and have 8 screens max is pretty lame.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
There's going to be a showing in Atlanta starting September 25th and ending October. The Funimation website says so.

http://www.funimationfilms.com/events.html

Obviously the list of showings isn's complete yet. Very Happy
Galaxy_Convoy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I saw the dub at Anime Expo. It's really good. A lot of the not so great actors were replaced, while some were brought back and given much better direction. The days of "ZOMG EVA DUB R SO BAD LOLOLOL" Just might be over. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7