• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eureka Seven AO's Last 2 Episodes to Air in November

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aereus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I feel the same way about E7AO as I did about Xam'd -- BONES seems to do their best work in a 4-cour format. They just seem to have too much going on in 2-cour shows to properly flesh out everything they introduce.

As someone on another board mentioned, there doesn't seem to be a very solid direction to the show, or concrete motivations for most of the characters.

spoiler[We're into the last couple episodes, and Ao is still just being led around by the moment. Sure he wants to rescue Eureka, etc. but he still has absolutely no idea how to do that. He just keeps bouncing around between the various factions of the series hoping something comes up.

Truth is a poor excuse for a villain in the show, as he doesn't have any motivation other than to randomly appear to cause problems and just wants to watch the world burn.

Everything about the situation with the Secrets, Scub, Eureka, etc. is so jumbled, we have no idea who/what is right still. Naru wants to free the scub and see it proliferate, Eureka says the Scub is bad even though she's a Coralian and essentially comes from the Scub, etc.

The Nirvash was with the Japanese and Ao took it, then he was with GenBlue, then he defects to the Allied Forces, then he's back with Pied Piper. Now they're back with the Japanese and switched from protecting to destroying the Scub with the help of the Secrets, etc. Elena was hinted at having some special role in the show, then they ignore her for most of it, then suddenly wrap it up in half an episode with an extremely underwhelming resolution, etc.

This really needed to be 4-cours, properly flesh out all the characters, and actually provide motivation and directions to the characters. I feel the ending is going to almost be as bad as Gundam Age...]
Konopan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:32 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for Bones to pull a Code Geass on this one and pull a ridiculous cliffhanger ending so that they can mess the show up even more in a another year

spoiler[It's unfortunate, really, especially considering everything being set up right now is sort of pushing Ao/Gen Blue into the Gekkostate's old position - if Ao were actually an in-between series it might make a bit more sense in the long run.]
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote
Out of the 21 episodes so far, she's had MAYBE half an episode worth of total, real screen time.

spoiler[not counting illusions and flashbacks]

While the plot revolves around her, it's really about Ao.

If the original show was an A+, and you grade this show based on it's own quality, it's about a C.
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
I gave up on this show after 19 episodes. It was, for lack of a better word, hateful towards its viewers. There was nothing pleasurable about any of it, and most of the time it was grueling to sit through and baffling as to most of the motivations and interactions between characters.

Ao is like a mexican jumping bean, hopping from one group and ally to the next, often with a single episode for turnaround time and very little in terms of applicable motivation for doing so. Did I also mention that he's perfect? In the way that it yields nothing but boring results? He has super special DNA, and is the best pilot in the world, taking on town-sized monsters that shoot laser beams all on his lonesome, and within mere days of first stepping into the cockpit. He's also the center of all attention, constantly, because his robot is the most super special robot in the entire world, ever, and comes equipped with a gun that alters reality.

He's a bigger husk of a character than early 1950's Superman, capable of doing everything and never facing any real danger.

And Ao is just the surface imperfection of the series. Every other character and plot element is either wasted or entirely boring. I can't imagine this one gaining even a fraction of the original E7's fanbase in the west, and it would be one heck of a stretch to blame that one on "piracy" or "the bad economy".
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this went a fat lot of nowhere fast and the fact that they're holding on to November to end it sort of speaks volumes.
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
It's not so much holding on, it's that they agreed to the worst possible timeslot I've ever seen. They started like 3 weeks after most shows, got pre-empted for 2 weeks by the olympics, I think they may have been pre-empted by boxing or something 1 other week besides that. And now since they ran against the next season, they have to wait for special timeslots in November to finish it.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:58 am Reply with quote
Oh no! How am I going to survive that?

Not only is this show pointless, with it sloppy plot and paper characters, now I have to wait another month to be able to see the rest of this disaster. I only waited this long just to have it done, but it seems they really have no idea how to finish it, writing the script on their laps...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2