• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Martian Chronicles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eurotrip1986

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
SAO fails because it's way to tweeny. Little teenager garbage romance anime eh? Well most people would have felt a world where people got stuck inside some online game (through a really amazing virtual reality/brain mind blow lol, which is never really given as much credit as it deserves). They cannot leave until they win or instant death if someone removes the gear attached to their real life head. Would have a lot more depth and a dark side to it. I thought SAO would be heavy on the action (which it should be, but fails), and act like an intense science fiction MIND BLOW (like Steins;Gate), but of course it fails there HARD as well. I gave it to 11 episodes, before it became unbearable. I can't tolerate zero plot, and lovey dovey good two shoe storyline mush. SAO is clearly a chic anime. Cry and fall in love with it women lol. Another reason this anime fails is the lead male character. What is with having these feminine "men" as the lead? To get even more women to watch it? Bah i look forward to Gintama next month.
eurotrip1986

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
I think episode 12 of Sword Art Online is where I have come pretty close to dropping it. It was just Melodramatic and shallow. The show is just not trying to be anything more. Which is a shame given the first episode.

Pretty much!
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
If I had time to scratch my ass, it was a pretty good week.

You could always scratch your ass WHILE watching anime. Multi-tasking, people!
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote
Just a couple comments.
1. I'm pretty sure Nozomi's Nadesico release uses the remastered video, which came out years after the ADV dub. That's what I'm going to assume/guess/make random conjectures about the time sync warning in the article. But since it has to sync up with the Japanese audio (they didn't redo that dub) it should work fine with the English dub. I don't have it on hand so I can't check--I'm done with rebuying this series on DVD lol.

2. I like the movie a lot too, but phrasing it the way it is in the article is just trolling lol.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:56 am Reply with quote
Part of the animation tweaking was to make the lip flaps better fit the Japanese audio. Needless to say, this could easily cause problems with the English dub.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I bought the ADV thinpak Boxset of Nadesico from like...2008 so...should I even bother with this?
RDespair

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I like Captain Tyler (at least the first half) but I found the Nadesico TV series to be much more enjoyable.

Quote:
Akito isn't exactly a milquetoast protagonist, but all the women on board the Nadesico are in love with him for no discernible reason.

That's kind of the point. Nadesico isn't a harem anime; it's making fun of harem animes (among other things).

Quote:
I particularly had problems with cutesy teen girl captain Yurika Misumaru. I never bought that she was a brilliant strategist, or, frankly, brilliant in any way at all.

Which is a plot point in the show.

wonderwomanhero wrote:
I bought the ADV thinpak Boxset of Nadesico from like...2008 so...should I even bother with this?

The Gekiganger OAV is really funny and well worth seeing. There are also a couple special features in this collection (45-minute documentary plus a 25 minute special with interviews and promo clips) which I'm not sure are in the past releases.

Oh and the best recap episode of all time is the one in Community where it's recapping episodes that never actually occurred.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Maigraith wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
It's already been the norm for quite a few years now. But having travelled in both continents, I have to say the US has to be the Obese Capital of the world, with the UK a close second, where as Euopeans, who mostly don't eat at American global franchise restaurants very much, if at all, have stayed quite slim.

Europeans don't have the same rates but they are most certainly not staying slim, especially as they get older, the obesity and overweight rates are rising. The younger crowd was mostly slim but as they get older they get larger. Here's some stats.
Stats are for pratts. I'm just not seeing it when I go over there. Usually when I see an obese person they start to speak in English. and most times American. I'm not say there aren't any obese Europeans, just that I hardly come across any. I know one doesn't have to be obese because of over eating. There are clinical reasons as well. Also BMI, or Body Mass Index is under scrutany by that other BMI the British Medical Institute as not being a very acurate statistic. as a muscle bound weight lifter can have the same Body Mass Index as a person labelled cronically obese. My GP has stopped using it because of this.
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Part of the animation tweaking was to make the lip flaps better fit the Japanese audio. Needless to say, this could easily cause problems with the English dub.

I don't think they did that...pretty sure the TV airing was fairly close to the original home video release. the remastered video that came out a few years ago wouldn't have to adjust any lipsync, and if it did I didn't hear about it :3

But it is a different video than the original ENG dub so it's possible some things might be off.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:

Oh and the best recap episode of all time is the one in Community where it's recapping episodes that never actually occurred.

You mean the second episode of the Clerks animated series?

Also, I haven't seen Nadesico in so long. I've always been afraid to rewatch it because it has such a back and forth dub in terms of quality, and the sub is completely wooden. Did they ever improve the subtitles from the original ADV DVD release?
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Stats are for pratts. I'm just not seeing it when I go over there. Usually when I see an obese person they start to speak in English. and most times American. I'm not say there aren't any obese Europeans, just that I hardly come across any. I know one doesn't have to be obese because of over eating. There are clinical reasons as well. Also BMI, or Body Mass Index is under scrutany by that other BMI the British Medical Institute as not being a very acurate statistic. as a muscle bound weight lifter can have the same Body Mass Index as a person labelled cronically obese. My GP has stopped using it because of this.
I've also heard that BMI is calibrated for 1800s Britain, which would completely throw it off due to differences in body composition with taller modern Americans, even if it didn't already completely disregard body type(but correcting for those wouldn't help push product, would it?). And if you believe the paleo crowd, the biggest issue with Americans is that they listened when the grain lobbyUSDA told them what was good for 'em(as opposed to a more traditional diet of animal flesh and plants that aren't corn).
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
Erin Finnegan wrote:
The animation is good too, and one or two of the boss fights look like they had famous guest animators. I would almost say I smell Gainax on this, but I don't see them in the credits.

Either animators were inspired by Gainax works or Gainax animators helping them under pen names. Such practices are common in the industry.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
You mean the second episode of the Clerks animated series?

You mean the middle episode of the Kujibiki Unbalance OAV? Laughing

I liked Nadesico TV years ago, but when I tried to watch it a couple of months ago I only lasted a couple of episodes. Bits were funny, but long stretches were just blah. Of course, my last attempt to watch Eva met a similar fate....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4