• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Aniplex of America Announces the Garden of Sinners Limited Edition DVD Box Set Details and Relea

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manicli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
I was hoping for somewhere around $120 but I can do $150. I just hope they do the same for Fate/Zero, if they don't I'd be seriously disappointed.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
This price is right for me. I think the movies are definitely worth $150, and with all the extras and pretty packaging, it's actually very reasonable.
Problem is, I want these movies on BD in HD quality, not sucky DVD quality. I would pay even a little more (say, $170) if I could get BD for that price.
Aniplex, I really want to love you for releasing Kara No Kyoukai subbed, but you keep getting it worng. First the BD was way way way overpriced, and now the quality is too low. Crying or Very sad

I'm pretty sure they're getting it right. The BD boxset was overpriced because it was an import. And if they release a cheaper BD set now, it'll just burn the ones that did pony up the cash.

I really hate Aniplex too, but I can at least defend them for their imports.

And how is DVD so "sucky"? I own tons of DVDs and play them on my HD TV and they look just the same as my BDs....oh if you mean the "finer grain details" that you can only see upclose, I feel sorry for you, for focusing on details rather than the actual show...
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Sub-only isn't the issue for me. It's the DVD format. If it was BD for $150, I would strongly consider the blind buy. I normally don't have issues with DVDs (at least with television series), but for movies in HD I prefer the BD format.

I'll hold off for, hopefully, an eventual release in BD. I don't need all of the fancy extras, though they do look nice here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, no.

That set is about 50 bucks too dear (and that's being generous).
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Sub-only isn't the issue for me. It's the DVD format. If it was BD for $150, I would strongly consider the blind buy. I normally don't have issues with DVDs (at least with television series), but for movies in HD I prefer the BD format.

I'll hold off for, hopefully, an eventual release in BD. I don't need all of the fancy extras, though they do look nice here.

I am also dissatisfied that this set is on DVD format. $150 would be a good price point if it were BD. But for a DVD set $80 would have worked for me.

That being said, wasn't the very first release of Garden of Sinners in Japan in DVD format? I am assuming the later BD release was an upscale. Based on that, I do wonder if there is a significant difference in video quality between the DVD's and BD's.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but I fail to see this "bunch of extras" everyone keeps mentioning.

There's the "theater pre-show reminders", whatever those are, and there's the 36 page booklet, but other than that, there's really nothing special.

Unless you're talking about the postcards. If so.... who gives a shit? They're POSTCARDS. Easily the single worst, most lame excuse as a pack-in gift EVER.

The rest is nothing but uber-fancy packaging to help rack the price up higher than it should be.

Meanwhile, the Japanese release gets some really neat behind the scenes videos. Ya know... ACTUAL special features. Stuff that teaches you about everything that went on in the production of the films and actually encourages repeat viewings.

But unfortunately, Aniplex of America doesn't want us to have that stuff. Instead, we get POSTCARDS. OOOOOOOOOOOOOH. Rolling Eyes
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
DVD is very sucky.
first of all, let's put half the resolution aside.

next you get INTERLACING which is the key issue for me and many DVD upscalers introduce artifacts (little flickers and square boxes) and problems with DVD style subtitle fonts.

with the advance in technology it is not so much an issue as it was a few years ago but it is still there. I just bought a new 3d LG bluray player and it does a full upscale but to compensate it adds some kind of motion blurring to action scenes probably due to the interlacing which drives me bonkers.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
That being said, wasn't the very first release of Garden of Sinners in Japan in DVD format?

Wouldn't the very first release be the theatrical release? I'm not familiar with the "direct to video, then later to theaters" release strategy.

Quote:
I am assuming the later BD release was an upscale.

Not necessarily. I don't know whether it was distributed to theaters on 35mm or 2K for a digital projector, but in either case it would be normal to go fro the master to the BD without first downscaling to DVD.

Quote:
Based on that, I do wonder if there is a significant difference in video quality between the DVD's and BD's.

Seems likely to be.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
That being said, wasn't the very first release of Garden of Sinners in Japan in DVD format?

Wouldn't the very first release be the theatrical release? I'm not familiar with the "direct to video, then later to theaters" release strategy.

Not sure. Boxofficemojo doesn't have any data at all on Kara no Kyoukai, so if it was in theatres it was probably a super limited screening <10 screens. The first ANN news article that ANN has on Kara no Kyoukai is that the first movie's DVD ranked 1st in its first week of sales.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex, the only company that still accepts first born children as forms of payment. With an additional fee.

They're expensive.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

The first purchasable release was on DVD. KnK predates (mostly) the BD boom.

Its DVD only because there has not been a non-limited JP BD release yet.

This is precisely what we said would happen when the BD set was announced, why is everyone acting so shocked?
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, extras still seem pretty nice, and it's less than half price of original set if I recall correctly as well? I want the blurays but I am not going to delete what I downloaded so I can see it in HD whether I have it on BD or not. What I buy things for is to have the pretty boxes/post cards/etc (or just to support the company some).

That said, I've come to really dislike Aniplex due to this limited edition stuff. I'll buy it if it's not sold out in a few months and if there isn't a bunch of things I want more. I think I have about 1k in pre-orders right now.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
That being said, wasn't the very first release of Garden of Sinners in Japan in DVD format? I am assuming the later BD release was an upscale. Based on that, I do wonder if there is a significant difference in video quality between the DVD's and BD's.

In order:

It was, if you are asking "for home video purchase".

It looks like it was, and to 720p, not to 1080p. If it wasn't an upscale, then it wasn't a good transfer/encode.

There is. However, while the HD fansubs I've seen look considerably better than the DVD version when viewing at HD resolution, there are still scenes with blocky line distortion and artifacting (due probably to upscaling). The artifacting, though, is very minimal. There were comparison screenshots posted back when the BD was released. Some of the frames captured look downright embarrassing, but they are less noticeable when in motion. Regardless, the BD looks better.

Kazemon15 wrote:
And how is DVD so "sucky"? I own tons of DVDs and play them on my HD TV and they look just the same as my BDs....oh if you mean the "finer grain details" that you can only see upclose, I feel sorry for you, for focusing on details rather than the actual show...

lol
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
This is also the first I realized aniplex was owned by Sony.

The artists they use for the music (like Kalafina) are often (mostly?) from Sony Music as well. Many of the animes they produce are also based on / linked to mangas published in Square Enix magazines.

Last edited by maaya on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Its DVD only because there has not been a non-limited JP BD release yet.

This is precisely what we said would happen when the BD set was announced, why is everyone acting so shocked?
I'm not surprised that it's a DVD only release, but I am a little surprised at the price. I was expecting a little lower price since it's a DVD release. I'd buy the DVDs if it the set was around the $100 to $120 range.

Last edited by strawberry-kun on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5