• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Inuyasha: The Final Act's English Dub Previewed in Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Saffron Henderson retired? That sucks. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:
I am not trying to sound snarky, I'm just curious. Didn't it seem to take a long time for this to come out dubbed? I know Viz snapped the license up for it right away. Does Viz usually take this long to dub things or did something else get in the way? Once again, I'm very happy that this is coming out. Just wondering if there's a story behind it...

Yes they do. Be happy it only took a few years. Viz media division is extremely slow and bad at putting out anime. Still waiting for the rest of Monster and that was what 2005? All of the anime is dubbed and aired on TV yet only I think the first 15 episodes out of a 74 episode series has been released and that was ages ago.

It really is hopeless to try and understand what they do and why. I really think Viz try to put effort into not making sales at all.

Viz at least gave subtitled version of the series on Hulu, so I give them props for that since it's taking so long for the dub and DVD released to come out.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Yay! It's nostalgia! I am so happy it's finally being released on dvd (three years later and what looks like in two parts but oh well). While I am sad Moneca Stori didn't return and even more sad about David Kaye, I think they chose a good replacement for her, deeper but good. Although I already remember the clip with Moneca's voice and not Kira's Embarassed.
I have to wonder though if one of the reason's that this got delayed for so long was because of Neon Alley. I think it was last year that Viz annouced that Inuyasha: The Final Act would be released finally at some point in 2011 but then never spoke of it again (don't quote me on this I just remember being very disappointed when fall and winter came and went with no release date.) Then they annouce Neon Alley this year and with it came finally the english dub of Inuyasha: The Final Act, which isn't getting it's dvd release until after it premeires in October. But then again I am a conspiracy theorist at heart so it's probably just Viz being late as hell as usual Very Happy .
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
This is just like Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood, the new voice actor for Al tried to sound just like the old one and it just felt forced and awful.

Actually I thought Maxey did a great job as Al rather she was supposed to sound like Aaron or not. At first all I could do was compare Maxey to Aaron, but after a few episodes I started to appreciate her not as a Aaron voice duplicate, but as Alfonse Elric. I don't even think about Aaron not voicing Al in Brotherhood anymore. That's how good I think she is.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
At first, as soon as I heard her voice, I was all "Woah! Spot on!" But she spoke on for a bit and I waned a little. It'll just take some getting used to. I was never a fan of the origina's acting (in part because of the character...) - so I didn't mind the change.

David Kaye, of course, had such a mastery of subtlety and elegance that it will make replacing his nuances with another actor difficult. But a couple people come to mind who have similar abilities.

And Maxey's Al was good. Sure, the ear will note they aren't the same person, but that doesn't kill the performance unless you dwell on it.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I really couldn't tell a difference between the original dub's Kagome and the new dub's Kagome. I like that a lot.

Hopefully they place this on Adult Swim/Toonami eventually, since I'd love to watch this at last, but I don't and likely won't have access to Neon Alley. XP
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Saffron Henderson retired? That sucks. Crying or Very sad

She initially quit her roles in Dragon Ball Z and Inuyasha because of her wedding conflict, but she did do a little voice acting for a while in Los Angeles in shows like Naruto (before being replaced with Mary Elizabeth McGlynn after only one episode) and Zatch Bell. She hasn't really been heard from since.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
I liked Inuyasha back when it first started airing here in the US. But... well, I could only stand so many escapes from the Big Bad, and the love triangle thing, too. It just... kept... dragging... on. If the plot had moved at something a little faster than a glacier, I'd probably feel a lot different about it. I might still watch the Final Act, but... well, it's pretty low on my list of Things To Do now.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
Really looking forward to picking this up on Blu-ray in November (like hell I'm actually gonna subscribe to Neon Alley).

This is one of my favorite shows, so I do have high expectations, but I personally thought Kira did quite a good job matching Stori's voice...for the most part. It's true, she sounds a little older, but if you guys were all just expecting her to sound the same as the original you must be crazy. There are bound to be minor differences here and there, but give it a few eps. and I'm sure the new voice will start to seem perfectly natural.

I really didn't consider any of the other cast members' voices to sound different from their previous renditions. Cox and Morrow sound the exact same to me. And even if one of the cast members takes a bit longer to find that old character voice of theirs again, I doubt it will take them long to get back into the groove of things. They did do 167 eps of this show plus 4 movies after all. For these guys I'm sure it's just like riding a bike at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
Can't believe it has already been more than 6 years since the Viz Inuyasha wrap-up party.

Recall that Moneca Stori was a controversial pick at the start of Inuyasha too, because she hardly did anime voice-acting besides the childish Hamtaro show.

BTW, here's how Kira Tozer sounds on stage.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to watching Final Act dubbed, I almost gave in and watched it subtitled years ago back in 2009, but I managed to stop myself.

nbahn wrote:
I wonder if Cartoon Network will broadcast the series?

Cartoon Network =/= Adult Swim, they just happen to share the same TV Channel.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why Sesshomaru's VA didn't return.

I found out Moneca Stori moved to LA or something so that's why she is not returning. I wonder what she's up to now...

It's nice to see Kirby Morrow back. I missed him. He is so flawless.

Poor Janyse...it's gonna be so depressing. Just two episodes...
supersqueak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
No Monica Stori or David Kaye? That is really depressing. I wasn't excited for the dub for the final act really but there will be Scott Mcneil right? Someone please tell me we get Scott Mcneil as Koga?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
supersqueak wrote:
No Monica Stori or David Kaye? That is really depressing. I wasn't excited for the dub for the final act really but there will be Scott Mcneil right? Someone please tell me we get Scott Mcneil as Koga?

He's back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3