• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Games to anime.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Backspaces

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Newbie here!

THIS! brought me here.
Cool site btw Cool

Anyone here watched Ragnarok? i wasn't able to finish watching all episodes Anime cry But i did play the game (Ragnarok 1) and now they released the sequel Ragnarok Online 2: Legend of the second

anyone wanna try to play the sequel? Razz

[EDIT: Since your opener isn't very clear about its purpose, at the moment, I'm just gonna' assume you're using Ragnarok as an example, and will, thus, leave the title as be, minus the smiley. -TK]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the forums.

As a word of advice, try to keep your topics a little more focused, like, maybe talking about the actual anime (not so much the game, unless it ties into the show, somehow). Also, when asking for peoples' opinions or presenting your take, it's considered common courtesy to give some kind of reasoning or personal opinion, first. What did you like about the anime that you saw so far? Do you think it ties in well with the game?

You don't have to super-detailed, but anything is better than nothing to get the ball rolling.

Good luck.
Backspaces

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
oh. I'm sorry ^^

Anyway, i liked the anime mainly because i played the game from which it is based on. I love seeing familiar emoticons and mobs in the anime and spotting other game elements such as what class is this character or what not. Well, combat is a little bit off compared to game since there are times that high level characters in the anime can be defeated by low level monsters LOL.

anyway, enough about the game. Overall the series is funny and i love how some parts of it leave crazy questions in your head like in one episode, it made me wonder why Baphomet did not vaporize the entire party when he saw Zealotus.

well, i don't think the anime is quite that popular and maybe i could recommend it to all of you.. but i guess those who know the game would enjoy watching it more Very Happy
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
RO the Animation was what I'd call a typical video game adaptation--bad as a standalone anime and fails to capture the essence of the game well. The substandard art and anime was noticeable even back then.

It did not help its cause that I watched it when Lighthalzen was released. Seeing Baphomet and Dark Lord as the pinnacle of power was somewhat of a joke. Even back then, the content was pretty dated, with the lack of trans classes and such.
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
As far as game adaptations go, it seems like it just likes to but heads with whatever medium that's trying to do said adaptation, whether it be film or anime. However, I'm not totally convinced that it can't be done well. So, we may all know of the Disgaeas and DMC's out there, but I want to hear from you guys to see what exactly would make a quality adaptation, and to share any examples of unlikely gems that turned out really well.

Last edited by BesuDesu on Fri May 17, 2013 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
It seems that dating sim game anime turns out okay....at least to me.

For some reason adventure/action game=to anime doesn't work as well....though .hack//sign's anime was fine...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Well one of the most popular long running children's anime is an adaption of a game. I should not even need to give a hint as to what it is. The games are still incredibly popular world wide.

As a fan I love this particular scene it started on.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi
I don't think .hack//SIGN was based on any particular game in the franchise, it was actually meant to be a prequel to the games themselves, which is why that probably turned out fine. Kinda how the Pokemon anime is based, at best, very lightly on the games (they mostly follow map and gyms, toss the bad guy team in there)

Hmm, anime adaptations of games... well Tower of Druaga's first half was a lot of fun. However, it should be noted that Druaga was based on a freakin' arcade game with minimal story. And that the second half went very downhill.

The main problem though, is that a lot of anime based on games are just OVAs designed to make money, not retell the story of the game. Though that's changed a bit recently with Tales of the Abyss and Persona 4 getting 26ish ep anime (I've not seen either one, though I have played both games).

Visual novels seem to be a whole other can of worms though. It seems to me like all the ones I know of are full adaptations. Although in most cases, people who played the original VN hate the anime no matter what it is, but for people who hadn't, things like Steins;Gate and Higurashi are quite awesome. And it seems like we get something based on a dating sim every season now. Although, since most of them don't seem to get very graphic, it makes me question why they bothered adapting a dating sim into something so tame.

I could help with some manga commentary though. The Suikoden III manga is quite good. I've never played the game (and sure don't have time to now), but it's 11 volumes and (probably) covered the entire game's main story. In the side bars, Aki Shimizu wrote about things like how she tried to have every one of the 108 stars at least make a cameo in the manga (having not played the game, I'd have no clue who they were). On its own though, it comes off as a very nice fantasy war story, but since it doesn't give time all 108 stars and wouldn't have side quest material, I'm sure it would disappoint some game fans.

I personally think that should always be the goal, to make something that stands well to those who haven't played the game. Those OVA things that expect you to have played the game already are of course useless to those who haven't already played the game. I do feel like they've been trying to correct this lately though. Except that they still haven't made a 999 anime.

Just a random aside, but the two things that I've seen based on trading card games (which are Magi Nation for the GBC and the manga Monster Collection) are freakin' fantastic! Those were based on TCGs, how does that work out so damn well in adaptation?!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Merged the two threads together.
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
So THAT'S where this thread went~ no prob. Just here to make an aside that you guys try to refrain from talking about VNs, because some could make the argument that it's a totally different medium all together.

"But BesuDesu" you collectively mutter at me from the skys "Digimon, Pokemon, Yugioh, etc were all based on some sort of game, and all fairly sucessful, with many people generally agreeing that they are pretty good. Dosn't that count?" Well, the thing is, I want you guys to talk about adaptations from something that already had a coherent narrative (and a bigger narrative then Pokemon initially had), not a show that inspired something that's arguably totally different. Hell, I don't even thing a Digimon game had any sort of plot until the anime kicked off and things like the Tamers game came around. Ok... so maybe that was a BIT more than an aside... anyhow, carry on~
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
@Chiibi
I don't think .hack//SIGN was based on any particular game in the franchise, it was actually meant to be a prequel to the games themselves, which is why that probably turned out fine.

.hack is meant to be a "multimedia experience." Other than the Legend of Twilight anime (rough adaptation of the first half of the LoT manga, with a gecko ending) and the GU Trilogy (retelling of the GU games), I don't believe anything in the franchise is an adaptation of anything else. (Note that this is not including the non-canon entries, such as .hack//XXXX and GU+)

Actually... *asks friend who is a huge .hack otaku*

Oh, okay, there's also a manga based on the LINK game, to throw in. And the GU novels are apparently based off of storyboards and concept art from the games.

Quote:
The main problem though, is that a lot of anime based on games are just OVAs designed to make money, not retell the story of the game. Though that's changed a bit recently with Tales of the Abyss and Persona 4 getting 26ish ep anime (I've not seen either one, though I have played both games).

I thoroughly enjoyed Abyss. Yes, there were changes made to the story, but ones that were made sense for the narrative. They even managed to include some of the sidequests, too.

P4, on the other hand, I hated. I couldn't even finish it. After the added focus on sex in episode 7 (characters being forced to fight in sex lube, rather than just a bathhouse like in the game), and the accusation that Kanji was going to try to rape Yu and Yosuke. At that point, it was a struggle to force myself to continue the series (I was reviewing it), and when I got too busy to watch an episode and ended up behind, I never finished it.

Quote:
I could help with some manga commentary though. The Suikoden III manga is quite good. I've never played the game (and sure don't have time to now), but it's 11 volumes and (probably) covered the entire game's main story. In the side bars, Aki Shimizu wrote about things like how she tried to have every one of the 108 stars at least make a cameo in the manga (having not played the game, I'd have no clue who they were). On its own though, it comes off as a very nice fantasy war story, but since it doesn't give time all 108 stars and wouldn't have side quest material, I'm sure it would disappoint some game fans.

As a fan of Suikoden, I very much enjoy the manga, and other fans I've spoken to agree. One of the complaints about III is the "Trinity Site System", where you basically played the first half of the game 3 times, from 3 different perspectives (there's also a bonus section for Thomas, which is optional, and doesn't really cross much with the other 3). At that point, you pick your main character, and finish the game as them.

Since the manga obviously isn't doing this, they picked a main character from the start (Hugo), which, while including much from the other two perspectives (Chris and Geddoe), allowed a much more solid narrative.

The antagonist, spoiler[ Luc ] also ended up with much more character development, especially on his backstory, which we got very little of in the games (and some of which came from spoiler[the first two games]). I don't 100% agree with the portrayal of him as insane (this could have been from sub-par translations on Tokyopop's part), but I love the rest of it, especially his childhood. The manga, I feel, even better than the game, illustrated the difference between an "antagonist" and a "villain", and why spoiler[ Luc ] is the former, not the latter (I can write for paragraphs on this subject, so I'm going to stop here).

As for the 108 Stars only having cameos... well, that's what most of them are in the games. "Oh, hey, you're a farmer, and I have these cool tomato seeds. You wanna come be a farmer at my castle?" Or "look, I have a cool hammer, will you come be my blacksmith?" And that's for characters who have uses around the castle. Worse are the non-plot-related combatants, who generally just require you to be strong enough (level or stats) or just invite them, and then they stand around unless you put them in your party. Suikoden III, given the Trinity Site System which gave you 4 separate parties for the first half of the game (3 if you don't include Thomas'), does better than most games at developing a higher number of Stars.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
@Dessa
Really, you pick a main and finish the game as them? But what about the other two, it seemed to me like there were three plot threads in the manga pretty much the whole time, I can't imagine the game working without going through all of them, switching on and off. Would this mean that you'd need to play the game multiple times to get the full story (or y'know, multiple save files once you've gotten to about the right point)?

But yeah, glad to hear that those who played the game liked the manga as it's very solid in its own right and at 11 volumes, clearly not a rush job for a tie-in.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
I was actually kinda' curious about Suikoden III's manga. I played through the entire game, once, but for the life of me, can't stand the gameplay to ever play through it again. The franchise itself is my all-time favorite in terms of RPGs, and I really love how simplistic the battle system is for I and II with it's 2D dimensionality, waterworks-like character avatars and backgrounds, and their amazing soundtracks. But the jump to 3D polygons, open-ish environments, and slow-moving battle runs really bogged down the pace of the game for me for the third installment.

I thought the story was good enough and like how it crossed over some of the details of the first two games. But yeah, can't say I'm willing to play any of the other games past the second one anymore.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
@classicalzawa - Just like in the manga, Chris and Geddoe join you. The only difference is who the plot revolves around, and who has the True Fire Rune. If you pick Chris, spoiler[Hugo gets the True Water Rune], and if you pick Geddoe spoiler[the True Lightning Rune leaves him and goes to Hugo]. The story in the game is written very clearly that Hugo is intended to get the True Fire Rune, so it makes sense that the manga followed that.

@Tony K - Give Suikoden V a chance. Most fans compare it to II in terms of both gameplay and story (III is the only one that has that weird pairing thing, which, while understandable for allowing the mounts, really didn't work well). It's also explains some of the stuff in I and II, since it takes place about 10 years before I's start.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
I didn't actually think I'd be the only person in the thread(s) mentioning Valkyria Chronicles on Crackle and P4: Persona on Funi/Hulu--
Which are both good adaptations in that they have good characters and an already interesting straightforward A->B game story arc, and all the series has to do is serialize it and roll it out flat for the TV screen...Sort of spoil-proof, except without a lot of hard work and effort.

(With P4, it's just a matter of Tutorial For Beginners, while Valkyria already has its own set watercolor visual style, thematic message and cast of characters. After all, a good Japanese game should be like watching anime, only with the controllers.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2