• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
K (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:00 am Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
I also love it when anime has English speakers in it. Eden of the East is the best at this and now there's this. "You punks from Homura?!"

Haven't watched it yet so wondering - is it better or worse that Chrome-shelled Regios?
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:05 am Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
I also love it when anime has English speakers in it. Eden of the East is the best at this and now there's this. "You punks from Homura?!"

Haven't watched it yet so wondering - is it better or worse that Chrome-shelled Regios?

Well, I wasn't watching K's English scenes with my eyebrows all the way up and smirking, so....
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am Reply with quote
Well, that was certainly... blue. I'll probably give one or two more episodes for it to figure out whether it wants to have something more than swag.
underlock

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote
The spoken English made me wish they had English subtitles for it. It's Black Lagoon level, if not worse.

I can't stand any of the characters. My conclusion was settled once I saw the image showing all the main ones. Not proceeding with this. New World's episode bored me more, and in return didn't annoy me, but at least that has a storytelling potential. If it's just visuals, I'm sticking with Tempest.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quote
If some one where to come to me and say, "Hey, Paul, we've got this great action series but we need some ideas for a way to start the first episode" I'd point them towards this show. The opening scene was brilliant. No dialog, no narration, just sound effects and a beat accompanying these bad-ass gang members down a street. Then the camera shifts, and bam, these bad-asses have a loli character with them. It's a great opening scene. At that moment I thought, "I'ma going to love this show." And then the fights start and it got even better. I loved the action so far, lots of pretty movement and colours. In fact, I was rocking this show right up to the midpoint, when the scene shifted to a school. My approval rating plummeted. Why is there a school? It is not necessary to the plot! God damn it, Japan, you used to be cool. Now we can't do a single show without some high school in it. Oh, well. Anyway, we are introduced to Italy, who runs around being Italy all episode. Srsly, it is the same exact voice and mannerism as in Hetalia. Anyway, Italy is apparently a pretty bad dude, but he has forgotten it or something. In fact here are my odds on the reasons for this forgetfulness:
2/1: Amnesia
4/1: Powers were sealed
7/1: Possessed by a spirit
17/2: Evil Twin and/or clone
50/1: The fact that he is Italy

And there is a churning in the bowels of this show. I feel a massive info dump coming on. I have to give mad props for avoiding it in the first episode, but with Italy utterly incompetent, I see no other way to explain the action to him. Look out for the next episode.

//Perhaps they cloned him and then turned the clone into a cyborg?
///Even madder props if you know what anime the above line is from.
underlock

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quote
I thought you were being sarcastic. The first scenes made me ugh all along. I felt kinda embarrassed of myself for watching gangster wannabes in my anime. Which is strange, considering how I don't usually care about worse things. And boy, weren't they as cocky as they come.

I think it's time I join the club of people who complain about every single anime coming out.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
Really, really nice beginning of the episode ^^
The blue squad vs Mikoto's gang... can't wait to see those two clash.
The high school part was... well, kinda typical.
That Shiro guy was pretty relaxed and easy going.
His day got intense real fast LOL
Shiro meets Kuroh and a whole lot of trouble.
Looks interesting. Will be watching this one.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
This show is so pretentious with its animation but it works for me.

Pretentious? It's like you tried really hard to find a way to criticize good production values Rolling Eyes
---------------------------------------------------------

So I finally got to watch it. IMO, animation and stylization are the two things the show's got going for it, everything else is pretty disposable. Plenty of fujoshi bait, some male-targeted fanservice, some school setting nonsense, and a plot hook that's simultaneously generic and makes zero sense.

But hey. Gang wars and flashy action, so nobody really gives a damn, right? Very Happy As long as they keep up the production quality, and keep the nonsense to action ratio similar to this ep, then this series will make a fine guilty pleasure. I think it'll be my go-to series for mindless fun if (when) Zetsuen no Tempest tanks.

P.S. The Engrish was not at all bad, I'd say at or above industry average. The supposed "foreigners" actually spoke smoothly enough to be believable, and the rest of the cast, arguably, shouldn't have been able to speak good English by design.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
EmbraceMe wrote:
This show is so pretentious with its animation but it works for me.

Pretentious? It's like you tried really hard to find a way to criticize good production values Rolling Eyes

I think you completely misunderstood my whole post. Heck, I didn't even write anything remotely negative about it. If you wonder why I called the animation "pretentious", it's because it tries to make itself seem so awesome to the viewer with its blue to green gradients, shifting camera angles, panning and zooming, and others I may have missed. I did state that this works for me, too.
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
People, people!

Only one, one!! episode aired so far. Relax, it could/would get better. You've seen nothing yet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
People, people!

Only one, one!! episode aired so far. Relax, it could/would get better. You've seen nothing yet.

Sure, it might get better. Doesn't change the flaws some of us have been pointing out, though. In fact, I don't recall reading anyone say, "well, based on this first eppie, there is no chance it can ever get good." Maybe you should take your own advice and chill out a bit yourself.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I think you completely misunderstood my whole post. Heck, I didn't even write anything remotely negative about it. If you wonder why I called the animation "pretentious", it's because it tries to make itself seem so awesome to the viewer with its blue to green gradients, shifting camera angles, panning and zooming, and others I may have missed. I did state that this works for me, too.

Well, I tend to understand "pretentious" with a negative tone, so maybe that was just me.

Not that I'm bashing you, and I do realize that the rest of your post claimed a positive impression of the show. I just thought that it was a weird way to describe it. The show's got good production values and it's got something to show for it. It's also got a fairly unique animation style. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't make itself seem awesome, it IS awesome (visually, at least).

Actually, after reading your post, I tried to catch the show on using effects with no good reason just to "show off" (being the critical jerk I am, with my love to bash bad anime). I've got to say (and this is personal opinion, of course) that despite the show being flavorful, not once did I feel that it stepped over the line, and the effects actually punctuated important scenes. I think that without those, more than half of this episode would've felt completely stale. It also managed to avoid an exposition dump without skimping on world-building details - once again thanks to the visuals ("show don't tell" and all).

That's a hard balance to achieve - being "over-the-top" but not over the top - and I find it commendable (you won't catch me saying this often). But once again, no complaints for you, just wanted to make this point - that I personally liked it "because of", not "despite".

Blood- wrote:
Sure, it might get better. Doesn't change the flaws some of us have been pointing out, though. In fact, I don't recall reading anyone say, "well, based on this first eppie, there is no chance it can ever get good." Maybe you should take your own advice and chill out a bit yourself.

Well, I can say with a 90% certainty that the plot will be absolute trash. It'll take a miracle to change that. Admittedly, I didn't even have to watch the first ep to come to this conclusion. I'll still watch the show for the pretties.

Not that anyone's fighting here, just some discussion, so I do agree that the "chill out" comment felt somewhat misplaced.

Last edited by Ausdoerrt on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I'll be happy to use pretentious in a negative way, then. As Blood- says, it hammers you in the face with "look at me! I'm so different!" in a way that doesn't feel organic at all. It just screams "trying too hard." The way the show would insert completely inappropriate pauses and lulls just to show some weird camera angle was tedious.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
^ Isn't action punctuated with strategic pauses a classic Anime technique? Pre-anime, even, IIRC. The pauses also weren't "just there", they were coordinated with the background music and context, which IMO is good directing.

The peaceful scenes flowed a lot more smoothly. Camera angles used seemed more like what one would see in cinema - which anime fans, who are used to certain "default presets" by now would find uncomfortable (I mean seriously, some people whine when SHAFT uses top-down shots), but in reality appear quite a bit more natural and "alive" than one would usually see in anime.

As long as they didn't blow their entire budget on this one episode, I see no problem with any of the above. I'd say it's high on the list of contenders for the prettiest show of the season, too.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Watched episode 1

Are we supposed to think the gangsta wannabees who blow up walls and include a guy who goes around on a skateboard and hit people with a baseball bat, are cool?

Is the inclusion of a loli mean that we are supposed to like them?

Are we supposed to think the fighting for justice, are bad guys and uncool cause they are so stuck up?

Are we supposed to support white haired pretty who is so popular, loveabley non-conforming, childish and begs food of people?

Is some guy blushing from some other guy saving his life by picking him up, a normal reaction, and not just a lame attempt to ship them? (at least Arcanna did not do that)

Episode 1 was bad, at least in the way I keep rolling my eyes, and yelling "please no" to my screen. Not even some of the cool animations like that slingshot thing can redeem it, nor naked chick.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16