• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
K (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
im still enjoying it. its not great but it is fun
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
im still enjoying it. its not great but it is fun

now that a lot of the up in the air-ness is explained I'm hoping for the rest to be a bit better
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I've rated this one "Good." It was somewhat enjoyable to watch, but it felt rather pointless.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
It's not that enjoyable for me, and I don't think I can rate this one.
And, sure, it felt pointless. Especially there are too many things that left unexplained.

But they're making the sequel. I hope the sequel have a better scriptwriting. So far, I think the only things that attracted viewers are just the character design and top-notch casts.

I'm pretty cynic about the sequel, though. Rolling Eyes
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
At least there is a sequel. As it is now, it just feels like a random blip in a large story.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll rate it "Good" overall. It was entertaining (more to my fujoshi self than to my shonen-action-loving self), the visuals were very pretty, and the ending even jerked a tear or two from me.

I do have to wonder what the sequel could be about. The spoiler[Shiro/Weissman/Colorless+Kuro + Neko] was imho, satisfyingly concluded, and so was the Red vs Blue one. Especially with spoiler[both Shiro and Mikoto dead], leaving no place for expanding either plotline spoiler[(though one could argue that a second season could be made over the basis of Silver's immortality and Kuro and Neko searching for him, but I'm not sure how entertaining that could be)]

To be completely honest, while I liked the gay undertones between Shiro/Kuro, their plotline didn't interest me as much as the Red/Blue one (which also had a lot more gay undertones so YEAH). Both clans had interesting characters and rivalries (Yata/Fushimi Awashima/Kusanagi) and with the spoiler[red clan essentially disbanded and almost zero chances of Mikoto being alive] I see little room for more story there

In spite of all that, and of all the accusations of crappy writing and little substance, I still enjoyed the show and am looking forward to the sequel (hopefully more Skateboard!Yata please?)

On another note, spoiler[was that Kuro transformed into a dog escaping through the Blues with Neko? Was that Neko's doing (altering others' perception) or is Kuro actually a dog -hence people always referring to him as "black dog"]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (final)

So I can finally say watch this and not have to return. Wait! There is a sequel. Noooooooo!

I think I will point out a couple things that made me feel uncomfortable this episode. Crazy glasses guy spoiler[taking a peak at skateboarder's chest]. All the spoiler[indirect kissing by that cola bottle]. When there were spoiler[two naked Shiros in the body with the silver king grabing the colourless]. When Blue girl spoiler[talked about kings only being attracted to other kings]. The symbolism of the Blue King spoiler[penetrating the Red King]. Pluss with all the usual guys being close to each other, this series definetly had some pretty heavy yaoi themes, and I found it rather intrusive than entertaining.

I was not a fan of this series, and I found the way that they portrayed Shiro to actually be rather confusing and I could not quite see the point. From the beginning we had him portrayed as an innocent pretty boy, I always this rather annoying, but we latter learned that he is not one at all, the Shiro we knew was spoiler[mostly a made up personality inside the evil kings body or something.] And the big reveal of his spoiler[soul/spirit/old life is that he was running an experiment that could create super soldiers in WW2, let me clarify he was a German scientest in WW2 working with the Japanese. He might have been a good guy, but one was taking over Asia, and the other was Nazis.] Sounds like he would not have been far off from fighting spoiler[Captain America], although that publication is pretty one sided to non American countries, and we should be more open with regard to anime.

And the entire story was really just the Red King spoiler[wanting revenge on the guy who killed his dorkey friend, and the reds did not care you they might horribly hurt in their path, or possibly kill]. But instead like most stories where we get lessons that revenge really is not worth causing so much trouble, we have the Red king spoiler[kill Shiro along with bad king, and just before Red King goes out like a nuke we have the Blue king kill him]. And then we are treated like it is very sad that spoiler[Red had to die, come on, the guy was to blow up an entire island based on just a face].

Actually I might question something else, What clothes were spoiler[evil king] wearing when he spoiler[shot whats his name]? For some reason I thought that he was wearing the school uniform, but that is impossible as the other school member should have recognised him. Meaning clothes would have instead been gained later. And the skateboarder used to wear a suit, it makes his later attire look even less mature.

Anyway I gave the series a "Weak" rating, that is a little bellow due to my own opinion, it started to improve towards the end, but I still let out a sigh when I knew I had to watch it. But hey lots of you guys liked this at the begginning, my opinion barely changed from my initial opinion.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I think I will point out a couple things that made me feel uncomfortable this episode. Crazy glasses guy spoiler[taking a peak at skateboarder's chest].

That symbol was a theme throughout their relationship (and I don't mean it in a sexual way, as you seem to be taking everything). It makes sense for him to look at it when the guy starts writhing in pain and then making a relevant comment.

DuskyPredator wrote:
All the spoiler[indirect kissing by that cola bottle].

That didn't even cross my mind. That's a lot like saying since they all touched it, so they were also holding hands.

DuskyPredator wrote:
When there were spoiler[two naked Shiros in the body with the silver king grabing the colourless].

Yeah, I think that was mostly a fan-service move and goes in line with what I said when I made this topic. It could be explained as "minds don't wear clothes" (I know mine doesn't), but I don't know why they would both be shown as Shiro.

DuskyPredator wrote:
When Blue girl spoiler[talked about kings only being attracted to other kings].

Same as previous reason. Probably also just means they are out of reach of everyone else and only other kings play at their level.

DuskyPredator wrote:
The symbolism of the Blue King spoiler[penetrating the Red King].

Your mind is a glorious gutter.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Pluss with all the usual guys being close to each other, this series definetly had some pretty heavy yaoi themes, and I found it rather intrusive than entertaining.

Definitely there, which I called after seeing just the PV, yet I watched it anyway. I'm not sure if I mentioned it early on or not, but I got the same vibe from it that I had from togainu no chi - Bloody Curs.

DuskyPredator wrote:
And the entire story was really just the Red King spoiler[wanting revenge on the guy who killed his dorkey friend, and the reds did not care you they might horribly hurt in their path, or possibly kill]. But instead like most stories where we get lessons that revenge really is not worth causing so much trouble, we have the Red king spoiler[kill Shiro along with bad king, and just before Red King goes out like a nuke we have the Blue king kill him]. And then we are treated like it is very sad that spoiler[Red had to die, come on, the guy was to blow up an entire island based on just a face].

That was one of my largest problems with it. Overall, there wasn't anything to be gained from watching it. I don't need someone to tell me revenge is bad *would still seek revenge*, but that's all this was about. Not enough really happened.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Actually I might question something else, What clothes were spoiler[evil king] wearing when he spoiler[shot whats his name]? For some reason I thought that he was wearing the school uniform, but that is impossible as the other school member should have recognised him.

Keep in mind Neko's mind tricks. You can't expect students to remember him for more than a second.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:57 am Reply with quote
@ Rhyono
Don't answer all of my BL complaints with logic, it destroys what little fun I could get form writing my review.

Rhyono wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Actually I might question something else, What clothes were spoiler[evil king] wearing when he spoiler[shot whats his name]? For some reason I thought that he was wearing the school uniform, but that is impossible as the other school member should have recognised him.

Keep in mind Neko's mind tricks. You can't expect students to remember him for more than a second.

I am talking about the spoiler[identity of the body Shiro was in, you know before he was] Shiro. I am not expecting myself to be correct, but it could be a minor plot hole if misconception turned out to be right.

Rhyono wrote:
Your mind is a glorious gutter.

Thank you. Wink
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:03 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
this series definetly had some pretty heavy yaoi themes

And the sun rises in the east, in case you didn't know.

Seriously, the BL vibes were obvious since the first ads for this show were aired. Even in the ANN Spotlight it was very clear where it was headed. Why did you watch a show that since the beginning was so evidently full of BL undertones when they make you so uncomfortable?
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:10 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I am talking about the spoiler[identity of the body Shiro was in, you know before he was] Shiro. I am not expecting myself to be correct, but it could be a minor plot hole if misconception turned out to be right.

I'm not sure it was ever clearly stated. There's a chance that the original Shiro was the Colorless king, or he was just one of the many people that were body snatched. If it is the latter: usually he would remain in his body while the CK is in there. When the CK leaves, you return to normal. HOWEVER, things did not go right when he ended up swapping bodies with the SK instead of just taking him over. So the original Shiro probably also switched over to Weismann's body, but from there I haven't a clue where he went since Weismann's body never seems to wake up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:18 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Seriously, the BL vibes were obvious since the first ads for this show were aired. Even in the ANN Spotlight it was very clear where it was headed. Why did you watch a show that since the beginning was so evidently full of BL undertones when they make you so uncomfortable?

It was one of the most talked about new shows that had a lot of people early on excited, I enjoy getting some new perspectives of the genre. To be honest it was not as bad here as it has been in other shows that had me quit very quickly (reincarnated princesses and dudes combing each others hair). I am mostly having some fun when I talk about the BL themes to give my opinion that someone who is not a fan of it may think.

I could also talk about the nude shots of Neko early on, but she got a little better later on, even if she was really annoying, at least she was barely in the last episode. And then there is that other girl who we started off with in the series, she may not have been the main character but she did have some Mary Sue vibes that gave off a pandering feeling with how she was a fairly big part in places.

Also the "spoiler[I am sure she is safe becaus she is with him]" was annoying, it did not make much sense as most of what they knew of him was spoiler[fake memories by Neko], and him running around school taking food from people.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I could also talk about the nude shots of Neko early on

I was wondering if that was an attempt to balance things out.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Also the "spoiler[I am sure she is safe becaus she is with him]" was annoying, it did not make much sense as most of what they knew of him was spoiler[fake memories by Neko], and him running around school taking food from people.

I think they were referring to the version that appeared before them (consciously Weismann version), not the carefree version they had known early on. They were probably thinking "if he can save everyone, someone near him would be safe."
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote
Finally, the end is here.
This anime looked very promising with their powers and conflicts.
It's sad that it turned out mediocre with the accents on wrong things.
Final episode was somewhat interesting with nice action scenes.
Still... it's a shame we didn't have many of those instead of endless dialogues.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Last episode was actually pretty good. I quite enjoyed K, a real mans anime with fighting and boobs and lots of manly grunts. BL? What are people talking about?

And was there some joke involved with the Red Kings name or is just coincidence? I mean Suoh Mikoto as in Suou Mikoto from School Rumble?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 16