• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JManga7 up?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
That's not "asking to get hacked", that's your browser asking for your credentials to send to the site. It's a standard web feature, but almost completely unused these days(like embedded background music). They really should have something at the front page and a special URL for whatever they're doing with it at the moment.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
That's the problem I CAN'T get onto the front page.

When it's saying "Authorization Required" and asking for user info, that's not standard. No site asks for user info and you sure shouldn't input it.

Are they working on the site? because a few days ago, I was on it.
clipeuh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:15 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
That's the problem I CAN'T get onto the front page.

When it's saying "Authorization Required" and asking for user info, that's not standard. No site asks for user info and you sure shouldn't input it.

Are they working on the site? because a few days ago, I was on it.

This pop-up means that either the website wasn't supposed to be live and is still being worked upon, or it's down for maintenance. The info being asked for are the admin's login, not yours.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
I am vaguely reminded of that old 7-up commercial.

JManga7 up yours! Laughing

All joking aside, I'm looking forward to this. I hope it works out for them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LKK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
Based on other JManga sites like their Facebook page, I don't think the JManga7 site is live yet even though some people like me have gotten in briefly and registered.

JManga's Facebook page has a post where they offer a link for "pre-registering" for JManga7 and thereby entering a contest for prize. (I forgot what the prize is.)
Genet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
It looks like it's up now.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote
$6 a month, that's a nice price, if that allows you to read everything and it not be pulled from the site after a curtain amount of time.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Now that JManga 7's been up for awhile, what is everyone's thoughts on it?
After getting use to it, I don't mind their reader much. It's annoying that I have to zoom in again every time I go to the next page, though. I wish it would just stay zoomed in, but that's not a huge issue.However, there are a few things that are pretty grating. The main thing that I dislike is how quickly they take free to read chapters down. If I stick to legal only (which it why I'm using their site in the first place), I'm already locked out from reading anything I didn't start a few weeks ago. I was hoping for something much more like Crunchyroll, where after something becomes available for free, it stays available for a long while.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
Now that JManga 7's been up for awhile, what is everyone's thoughts on it?
After getting use to it, I don't mind their reader much. It's annoying that I have to zoom in again every time I go to the next page, though. I wish it would just stay zoomed in, but that's not a huge issue.However, there are a few things that are pretty grating. The main thing that I dislike is how quickly they take free to read chapters down. If I stick to legal only (which it why I'm using their site in the first place), I'm already locked out from reading anything I didn't start a few weeks ago. I was hoping for something much more like Crunchyroll, where after something becomes available for free, it stays available for a long while.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have it stay free indefinitely, like Crunchyroll; but if that were the case, why would anyone buy the series on the regular JManga site, or read/subscribe constantly instead of one month a year? Not to mention manga publishers are barely up for the idea of offering the series for sale in digital form at all on JManga, and only a subset of them are offering multiple free chapters of them on JManga7.

It's probably better to think of the site as more like Shonen Jump Alpha, where I'm pretty sure you can only read the chapters for a limited time, and need to buy the digital volumes for access afterward. And compared to them, JManga7 is offering free access to ~3 chapters each from 40 series at a time - and the long-running series (mostly) have the first chapter available to at least get the story concept, even if you're too late to read all the earliest chapters. Most chapters are available for 3 weeks for free and 8 weeks for subscribers, which is a fair enough time to keep up with series.

There is definitely room for improvement (like that iOS app we're still waiting on...), and the series/chapter availability depends on what the JP publisher is willing to allow, so there's some stuff I'd like to read there but can't. Still, I feel being able to read such a wide variety of manga is worth that price, and thanks to the sampling I've found some series I'd like to purchase to read again (when I have $$ that is).

Say, have you tried using the Full-screen option? Is that large enough to read on your screen? If so, might be a decent alternative to constant zooming. It's also fun to hit the 'Language' button to check out the original Japanese - though I'm too busy to do that with everything, it's nice to have if I'm confused about something in the translation Smile.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
BonnKansan wrote:
Yeah, it'd be nice to have it stay free indefinitely, like Crunchyroll; but if that were the case, why would anyone buy the series on the regular JManga site, or read/subscribe constantly instead of one month a year? Not to mention manga publishers are barely up for the idea of offering the series for sale in digital form at all on JManga, and only a subset of them are offering multiple free chapters of them on JManga7.

It's probably better to think of the site as more like Shonen Jump Alpha, where I'm pretty sure you can only read the chapters for a limited time, and need to buy the digital volumes for access afterward. And compared to them, JManga7 is offering free access to ~3 chapters each from 40 series at a time - and the long-running series (mostly) have the first chapter available to at least get the story concept, even if you're too late to read all the earliest chapters. Most chapters are available for 3 weeks for free and 8 weeks for subscribers, which is a fair enough time to keep up with series.

Oh, I know. I can't really fault them for trying to make money and promoting their titles, but I can be annoyed. Wink The current structure strikes me as a blatant advertisement that exists solely to advertise, rather than as an independent program that is working with another branch of its company for the benefit of both. Ideally, something like Jmanga7 would be able to bring in money on its own, not just by directing traffic to the main site. With the relatively short availability of chapters, it doesn't seem like Jmanga7 is trying to be an independent program, be much more than any advertisement, or reach a larger audience.

BonnKansan wrote:
Say, have you tried using the Full-screen option? Is that large enough to read on your screen? If so, might be a decent alternative to constant zooming. It's also fun to hit the 'Language' button to check out the original Japanese - though I'm too busy to do that with everything, it's nice to have if I'm confused about something in the translation Smile.

Yep, that's what I usually do. I can read the larger text just fine, but the medium to small sized text/bubbles are the problem. I've gotten into the habit of zooming in once every time I turn the page. It's much easier to view the art and text that way. I just wish it stayed zoomed in, but like I said, it's not too big of a problem.
I haven't checked out the language feature since I can't read Japanese, but that's definitely a cool idea. Do titles on Jmanga also have that capability?
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
When they first started advertising it, I figured chapters would stay up until they were available on JManga, which was fine by me, but I just don't see the point in taking down chapters before you can get them elsewhere legitimately. The other main problem I have is that the only browser that works with their reader for me is Chrome, when all my browsers work just fine with JManga itself.
SereneChase wrote:
I haven't checked out the language feature since I can't read Japanese, but that's definitely a cool idea. Do titles on Jmanga also have that capability?
They do.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
SereneChase wrote:
They do.

Yeah, though I forgot to mention that not all titles have the option - you can tell which ones do, by whether the volume's page on JManga has a Japanese flag. Some publishers, like Libre, don't make the JP available at all (or at least didn't initially), and license-rescue series only have EN for the volumes that were previously-published. Newly-translated volumes have both languages though, for publishers that allow it - they have to get the JP version digitized for us to translate it, which is probably the main reason it's even possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2