• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Reburst Manga Ends in October

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Coloured me not supprised; the thing was a knock off of Digimon Frountier which in of itself was a poorly done cartoon, all said.
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Anime IS NOT a cartoon!!

When coming to an anime site filled with usually anime-lovers you would expect members to know something this basic, specially one that seems to hang around here a decent-good deal.

Sure when this is discussed by those outside the community that have no idea you-they can argue about it, but among us anime fans we should know very well the difference and not group it with the likes of mere cartoons.
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Anime IS NOT a cartoon!!

When coming to an anime site filled with usually anime-lovers you would expect members to know something this basic, specially one that seems to hang around here a decent-good deal.

Sure when this is discussed by those outside the community that have no idea you-they can argue about it, but among us anime fans we should know very well the difference and not group it with the likes of mere cartoons.

...seriously?
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
Anime IS NOT a cartoon!!

...seriously?

Likewise seriously?

Sorry for those that dont, I dont like it when anime is downgraded to "cartoons" Again I guess I was naive to throw this in here believing it was appropriate in an anime exclusive site you know and that fellow anime lovers would somehow or more or less share the sentiment...

Sorry, let us continue the discussion of peculiar looking cartoons...
mrdarkrai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[car·toon   [kahr-toon] Show IPA
noun
3. animated cartoon.

an·i·me  [an-uh-mey] Show IPA
noun
a Japanese style of motion-picture animation, characterized by highly stylized, colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sexuality.

Pretty sure they are equal in definition, (animated work) but some are trolling/butthurt.]

Yes back on topic, Pokemon seems to be trying to get away from its roots. I worry a bit.
tetron

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
well this manga got me interested and I stopped liking Pokemon stuffs (except for the games) a while ago.
King Arthur

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
a Japanese style of motion-picture animation, characterized by highly stylized, colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sexuality.

Just saying there's plenty of anime without violence, non-futuristic settings, and sexuality.

Horrible definition is horrible.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
...Getting back to the subject at hand...

Despite this manga's campiness, I thought it was enjoyable. Classic underdog kid armed with a super powerful Pokemon that can fuse with him and fights for all things good and wonderful.

Clearly seemed to be aimed more towards the young'uns, but it was ok for what it was.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Sad, I doubt Viz'll ever license it Sad Already like pulling teeth when asking them to publish all the in-between Special/Adventure volumes :/ Maybe when Platinum finishes...
Genet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Meh, definitely not the strongest Pokemon manga ever.

Not too disappointed to see it go, but that's just me.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Anime IS NOT a cartoon!!

Sorry to burst your bubble, bro, but all manga and anime are cartoons by definition. I also don't see the problem with correctly labeling them as such, so, uh, why are you going nuts exactly?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Anime IS NOT a cartoon!!

You're kidding, right?

Seriously, sweetheart: Argue for the sake of something that actually matters. If you really want to split hairs, I'm more than happy to do that.
The definition of anime is most widely explained as follows: "The word 'anime' is derived from the original Japanese pronunciation of the American word 'animation,'" "noun: a style of animation that originated and is still heavily centered in Japan."
Meanwhile, a cartoon is, as we understand the usage today, "An animated television show. An entertainment program of visual art which does not feature real-life actors, except when using voices." Thus, while the terminology differs, these two are essentially the same. Rolling Eyes

Now, I'll get back to the actual topic at hand, shall I? The theme of hero/monster fusion is one that, while entertaining, I think is ill-suited to the Pokemon franchise. I took issue with Digimon Frontier when it aired, but in retrospect I think it pulled off some interesting and fun things.
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Sure, got it. I wont argue it. I already knew members here are a kind of special fans, so I wont go further into off topic pointless discussions.

Its all clear, but its still surprising the kind of superficial hard reasoning that usually one would not expect from the community and fans themselves, some backing their opinion with hard cold definitions, even totally subjective and wrong like the one posting a definition citing violence and sex as common trait ...you know the kind you expect of crap like fox and those that attack anime mentioning violenxe and sex precisely... Likewise I would say to some of you seriously?

Anyway, wont brother you with this, feel free to ignore, and continue to enjoy cartoonnnewsnetwork.
Ygdrasel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Anime IS NOT a cartoon!!

Except it is. Rolling Eyes
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Sure, got it. I wont argue it. I already knew members here are a kind of special fans, so I wont go further into off topic pointless discussions.

Its all clear, but its still surprising the kind of superficial hard reasoning that usually one would not expect from the community and fans themselves, some backing their opinion with hard cold definitions, even totally subjective and wrong like the one posting a definition citing violence and sex as common trait ...you know the kind you expect of crap like fox and those that attack anime mentioning violenxe and sex precisely... Likewise I would say to some of you seriously?

Anyway, wont brother you with this, feel free to ignore, and continue to enjoy cartoonnnewsnetwork.

you...do realize that 'anime' is the japanese word for 'cartoon' right? They call spongebob anime; I live in Japan and spongebob plays on the 24-hour anime channel Animax. Pixar movies are called 'anime movies'. I teach english at a conversation school and whenever someone talks about anime in english they say 'cartoon' most of the time.

Did you know manga are usually referred to as 'comics' too? (comikku)

l know you're probably all like B-BUT JAPAN IS SO MUCH -SUPERIOR- TO THOSE INFERIOR 'CARTOONS' OF WESTERN ORIGIN but seriously what is wrong with the word 'cartoon'? There's been plenty of decent cartoons/animations/whatever the hell you want to call them from all kinds of countries recently, not just from Japan.

but you can go right back to needlessly glorifying animated material solely because it comes from a certain country while shunning animated material solely because it doesnt come from that country and most certainly not acting like a weeaboo caricature.

(to keep this post somewhat on topic...does anyone know exactly how many Pokemon manga series there -are-? And how many are running currently...?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2