Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Adjusting the Vertical


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Agent355



Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Posts: 1919
Location: Crackberry in hand, thumbs at the ready...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Dang! I wanted to ask why @Vertical_Ed told me once that he'd *never* reprint Planetes (I always thought that the 4-volume sci fi series would be perfect for Vertical, so I wondered if it was a licensing/projected sales/or dislike of the manga problem), but I didn't get a chance to tweet Zac before recording time.

Awesome that they're actually flying in a mangaka to ny!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Soundmonkey44



Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 1243

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Negative out first. Why You Laugh at Detective Conan & Oh My Goddess Ed N Zac!? There fun series. I myself have my copy of Case Closed V44 pre-ordered from Amazon and eagerly await it. From what I can tell the manga has done better for VIZ then the anime did for Funimation *Despite the typos in earlier volumes*

But on a more serious note I look forward to see what Vertical announces in the future I've slowly been picking up their Tezuka books, and am looking forward to picking up their release of Heroman.


Also hoping they get the Princess Jellyfish manga, i'd deffinantly pick that up
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sakurazuka_Reika



Joined: 19 May 2009
Posts: 338
Location: Malta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Really looking forward to Vertical's future titles. They had a couple of manga I was interested in in that survey. Fingers crossed Smile

Edit: I think one of the reasons for the decrease in sales is also due to how easier it is to read manga online these days. I personally read series that are not released in English (Silver Spoon and Sket Dance), I buy the rest. However I have met people who look at me weirdly for buying manga when I can just access it online for free.


Last edited by Sakurazuka_Reika on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ojamajo LimePie



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 554

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I think part of the reason we haven't seen a giant hit lately is that less anime is on the air during the daytime. Kids aren't being exposed to anime and manga like they were ten years ago when Toonami was on every day after school (the current Toonami doesn't target kids.)

On another note, has Vertical looked into Hoshi no Samidare (The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer)?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kyokun703
Get off my lawn!Get off my lawn!


Joined: 06 Jan 2005
Posts: 2503
Location: Orgrimmar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:


On another note, has Vertical looked into Hoshi no Samidare (The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer)?


Yes, this is one Ed regularly removes from his surveys. I don't know what the reasons are (if it breaks one of the rules), but it's one he's not considering.

With re: to the podcast: Great informative podcast! Although it pains me to hear all the grand plans that were being made for Vinland Saga. I really appreciate that Ed is so open and interactive with the fandom. I hope in the future he does go after more josei; I'd love to pick more titles up like that. (especially Princess Jellyfish...)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative


Joined: 01 May 2009
Posts: 260
Location: New York, NY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Dang! I wanted to ask why @Vertical_Ed told me once that he'd *never* reprint Planetes (I always thought that the 4-volume sci fi series would be perfect for Vertical, so I wondered if it was a licensing/projected sales/or dislike of the manga problem), but I didn't get a chance to tweet Zac before recording time.


Take a listen to the podcast. I explain why Laughing

Main point is that it failed during the manga boom... What are the chances it'd do well now? Not high.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative


Joined: 01 May 2009
Posts: 260
Location: New York, NY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Negative out first. Why You Laugh at Detective Conan & Oh My Goddess Ed N Zac!? There fun series.


Definitely. Both are fun.

But I laugh at how both are very painful releases that will continue to be average at best sales-wise for years to come. I tend to laugh at things that pain me a lot. [need to fix that really]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative


Joined: 01 May 2009
Posts: 260
Location: New York, NY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
I think part of the reason we haven't seen a giant hit lately is that less anime is on the air during the daytime. Kids aren't being exposed to anime and manga like they were ten years ago when Toonami was on every day after school (the current Toonami doesn't target kids.)


Great point! Anime is marketing tool for manga. And it is becoming harder to get the max potential of cross promotion without anime on TV.

Quote:
On another note, has Vertical looked into Hoshi no Samidare (The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer)?


It's licensed by JManga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative


Joined: 01 May 2009
Posts: 260
Location: New York, NY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:


On another note, has Vertical looked into Hoshi no Samidare (The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer)?


Yes, this is one Ed regularly removes from his surveys. I don't know what the reasons are (if it breaks one of the rules), but it's one he's not considering.


Licensed by JManga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Soundmonkey44



Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 1243

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Negative out first. Why You Laugh at Detective Conan & Oh My Goddess Ed N Zac!? There fun series.


Definitely. Both are fun.

But I laugh at how both are very painful releases that will continue to be average at best sales-wise for years to come. I tend to laugh at things that pain me a lot. [need to fix that really]


Haha, no its fine, I just wasn't sure if it was a negative laugh or not. Keep the laugh ed, it suites you well. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lebrel



Joined: 16 Oct 2009
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
edit: nevermind. This is why you shouldn't leave edit windows open for four hours while doing something else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenchi



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 3456
Location: Ottawa... now I'm an ex-Anglo Montrealer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh, shoot, I completely missed the Vertical survey, and now that I know about it, it's over. I would have definitely voted for Mysterious Girlfriend X, which is a far better manga than the admittedly icky premise would suggest with a style reminiscent of 1980s Rumiko Takahashi only more detailed, and I would have added Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, though I believe that technically breaks the rules by a volume or two, as well as Minami-ke, which isn't an Afternoon title like Mysterious Girlfriend X or YKK but it's still Kodansha.

EDIT: Okay, got to the part of the podcast where Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou was specifically addressed. Too bad, though I know it's a pipedream title that'll never be liccensed in English by anybody.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 3022

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Listening to Ed makes me question how the American manga companies is still around. I mean it takes some dedication to release something after the market completely crashed.

Its kind of sad that we're probably never going to see someone license a huge series like they did in years past.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
clipeuh



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 99

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:


On another note, has Vertical looked into Hoshi no Samidare (The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer)?


Yes, this is one Ed regularly removes from his surveys. I don't know what the reasons are (if it breaks one of the rules), but it's one he's not considering.


Licensed by JManga.


So if a title is available on Jmanga, it's not available for license? I though it operated in a similar way to crunchyroll (shows are still available to license after being streamed).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tamaria
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 21 Oct 2007
Posts: 1468
Location: De Achterhoek

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote
clipeuh wrote:
Vertical_Ed wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:


On another note, has Vertical looked into Hoshi no Samidare (The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer)?


Yes, this is one Ed regularly removes from his surveys. I don't know what the reasons are (if it breaks one of the rules), but it's one he's not considering.


Licensed by JManga.


So if a title is available on Jmanga, it's not available for license? I though it operated in a similar way to crunchyroll (shows are still available to license after being streamed).


It depends on the license. Digital/streams and print/dvd/blu-ray are often two seperate licenses, meaning two companies can release the same title, perhaps even simultanously.

But, and this is a big but, connections are important. Publishers like to stick to publishers they have good experiences with. Meaning they might keep a license off the market and wait till their favourite is ready to publish it.

This doesn't mean this is the case for Hoshi no Samidare. Maybe the print license is too expensive or maybe it breaks one of Verticals rules, and you should be happy Jmanga has it online, because that may be all you're going to get. In any case, if the publisher says it's not going to happen, it's not going to happen. Not any time soon anyway. Make a new manga boom happen and maybe they'll reconsider Very Happy

(As for Detective Conan, 44 is nothing! 74 comes out in Germany in November Anime hyper

... I pre-ordered.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group