• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ponyo's U.S. Trailer Now Streaming by Apple

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yojimboray

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
OrochimaruAnko wrote:
I am glad that Ponyo is coming to theaters, but a bit sad that no
voice actors like Laura Bailey or Steve Jay Blum will be used. But
I happen to love Betty, Cloris, Liam, and Cate. Maybe this will
help get Anime noticed a bit more.

I, for one, will not miss the fact that the usual suspects of anime dubbing won't be involved with this film. The best thing about Ponyo being in Disney's hands is the quality of the actors they bring in. With just about any other anime work, it's straight to the sub only option.
Next best thing about Miyazaki's works being entrusted to Disney is John Lasseter's involvement- a mainstream guy who actually respects anime.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
That looks amazing, I really hope a theater close to me and my friends gets showings (they haven't released the theaters list yet, have they?).

They probably won't release a list. Ponyo is getting what is considered a wide release, at over 800 theaters. That's far and away the widest Miyazaki release in the US (four times the size of Howl's widest release, 7 to 8 times the size of Mononoke's widest release). The only thing even close was Spirited Away's re-release after winning the Oscar, which was about 700 screens.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Ugh... yet another "tweaked" dub - and you wonder why I dont like dubs...

At least it will be available subtitled on disc in the end... I hope they dont "tweak" the subtitles as well - that would royally suck.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
yojimboray wrote:
OrochimaruAnko wrote:

I, for one, will not miss the fact that the usual suspects of anime dubbing won't be involved with this film. The best thing about Ponyo being in Disney's hands is the quality of the actors they bring in. With just about any other anime work, it's straight to the sub only option.
Next best thing about Miyazaki's works being entrusted to Disney is John Lasseter's involvement- a mainstream guy who actually respects anime.

I prefer the usual suspects because they actually know and care about the anime they work on usually. Going for Hollywood they see it as another cartoon and at likely a quick payday.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I would think that any artist would care about their performance regardless of the medium.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Disney wrote:
" We have tweaked the story so it is an understandable story for our audience."

Well they did say "our" audience. Laughing You know what that means. Wink

Tweaked! Uh-oh.Buy the R2 and download the sub.

Seriously though I hope America grasps Ponyo.It is such a beautifully hand drawn movie that no animation fan should miss.

I miss hand drawn anime.
mahouyousei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I saw Ponyo in theaters in Japan. I can understand a little while disney is tweaking it. Without giving anything away, I think the original plot would be a little harder to follow for American audiences. Judging from Fujimoto's lines in the english trailer, I think disney made it a little more action oriented.

Example: spoiler[In the Japanese version, Ponyo is simply a curious little girl and frequently escapes from Fujimoto, especially after she meets Sousuke. Her final escape is what causes all the bizzare happenings. It seems to me when Fujimoto says in the english trailer that she has to save the world, they're shifting the blame away from Ponyo to create, for lack of better word, a stronger plot.]

I hope I explained that okay. I really don't wanna give much of anything away.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
yojimboray wrote:
OrochimaruAnko wrote:

I prefer the usual suspects because they actually know and care about the anime they work on usually. Going for Hollywood they see it as another cartoon and at likely a quick payday.

The usual suspects may care about the anime they work on, but... they're amateurs! Or, semi-professional, at best.
However, I totally get what you mean about Hollywood. They have a tendency to mutilate the original creator's vision. That being said, Disney does seem to respect Miyazaki's works. For me, the dubbed Spirited Away was equal to to the Japanese voice acting and, (stunningly) I actually preferred Kirsten Dunst and Janeane Garofola in Kiki's Delivery Service to their original counterparts.
Raz_G

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
Liam Neeson as Fujimoto: this is quite different from what I was expecting, but it sounded pretty fine to me. (Keep in mind I have not seen the Japanese version, so I have no preconceptions on how the characters should sound.)

I've seen the film in Japan and I'm sad to say that they missed the mark with this particular casting. Neeson is a great actor, but his confident voice is completely out of character with Ponyo's father - who's supposed to be a klutzy, neurotic, comic-relief character.

It's my understanding that the trailer will be shown before this week's screenings of "My Sister's Keeper", so perhaps that's the reason that it focuses so much on Miyazaki's career and achievements - the older audience of a relationship-drama might be appreciative of such things (as opposed to everyone else who will go to see "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen".
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
Of the two, I'd say the French trailer linked above is a better representation of what the movie is like. Beautiful stuff, full of wonder. It felt like its target audience was me at age 5 (I was and still am fascinated by the sea and all the weird things that live in it).

As for the "tweaking," it depends on what they do. I wouldn't expect American kids to know what a "jinmengyo" ("human-faced fish") is, but beyond that, the story is not really complex at all. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke were both much more complex in the plot department.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

No download required - the Japanese Ghibli releases include English subs.

Then again, given that the Disney (US) and Optimum (UK) releases feature un-tweaked subs in addition to the re-written dub-track (in fact a couple of the Optimum releases are sub only), why would you want to go to the expense of importing the Japanese release anyway?
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:

I wonder why in Finland the dubs don't change that much the dialogue, was it a Disney film or anime even though Finnish culture is very different from both American and Japanese culture. Maybe it's just that the Finnish translators don't have the need to be "better" than the original creators.

The market is different. Releasing a film in the US is considerably more expensive than it is in other countries. Plus a lot of Japanese expect and demand the US to be a major revenue source... the standards are different.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

No download required - the Japanese Ghibli releases include English subs.

Then again, given that the Disney (US) and Optimum (UK) releases feature un-tweaked subs in addition to the re-written dub-track (in fact a couple of the Optimum releases are sub only), why would you want to go to the expense of importing the Japanese release anyway?
It was sarcasm towards the hardcore.I just as well have said "don't support R1 Dubtitles". Laughing The people who bring anime titles over won't change their ways and probably never will.I've lived with it.I still can't wait to own a copy.I love hand drawn anime.Bring on the dubtitles. Very Happy

I can't wait to see how they explain spoiler[ Ponyo's mother.Ponyo tasting Sosuke's blood and the marriage between the two at the end."She will turn into bubbles and the world will end if you don't love her,Sosuke." ]

Moomintroll wrote:
why would you want to go to the expense of importing the Japanese release anyway?
Obviously you aren't a collector.

Quality. From someone who has been collecting anime for over 25 years....It makes your collection actually worth something.The difference is Gold Vs Silver.Bragging rights,envy and how much $$$$$ you've spent on your...fandom.Things like that.

It's also something I'll just drop right now.Nevermind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2