• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime aesthetics.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I think that that CNET blogger is running out of things to write about.....

That blog entry is hopelessly trite.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Aesthetics are the last thing on my mind when I'm watching, personally, and not at all important. Even if the show looks horrendous it doesn't effect the story which is of much greater significance. For instance Kemonozume and Redline are two that I found aesthetically displeasing but yet rated them very highly.

Still there are styles that I like much more than others. Basically, the closer to looking the most "realistic" the better and the more warped examples are those which I would find displeasing.

I have to concur with Kruszer on this one. When I watch a show the primary 2 concerns I have are the characters and the story. Are the characters entertaining? Is the story entertaining. Do the characters have depth, what are their relations like, how well fleshed out are they etc etc. Is the plot well thought out? Is it at least entertaining and fun to watch? Obviously a story and character's depth depends on the genre and what the show is trying to be. To me these aspects make or break a show much more than the aesthetics. For me at least when I start really considering the aesthetics, or visuals as a whole altogether, it's normally only to either elevate a show even higher, or to find some redeeming value on a crap show.

Like Kruszer one good example I'd mention is Redline. It's aesthetics are not exactly my cup of tea normally. That's not to say they're bad, just not a favorite of mine personally. However the show itself was so good it got a high rating regardless. That's a situation where the show was good enough it didn't matter to me. If they had been more my style I might have rated it a small tiny bit higher but not much. Where as on the flip side I'll mention Gundam Seed Destiny. Very nice animation, slick visuals and nice aesthetics to that show. But the characters were so whiny, shallow, and the plot was so weak in my opinion that the nice aesthetics simply made the show not get rated lower then a dog turd. It's aesthetics couldn't make up for the fact the show sucked donkey balls on an epic scale for me.

I also happen to think, like Key, that there are enough differences in aesthetics rights now that no one style, or group, has cornered the market so to speak. Some may be more prevalent than others but in today's market no one style is running away with the show. I have to say despite my earlier comments about Redline I did appreciate it's aesthetics for being a definite minority and a change of pace. I felt the same with Red Garden as a matter of fact and that was another show I rated high just like Redline.
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
Believe it or not, nbahn, that blog or at least a version of it was making pretty big headlines on Internet news services a day ago. I know, it's rather bothersome and trite. I'm not much of a fan of how the mainstream media covers a lot of stories dealing with different aspects of subcultures.

As for the other comments, I have my own personal aesthetic favorites, but I do my best not to let that get in the way of shows that I want to watch. For instance, I wouldn't usually like the animation of a show like Crayon Shin-chan. I have a friend who thought that Medabots was animated remarkably well for a kodomo series, while I felt it was inexpensive looking. Nevertheless, I thought Shin-chan was hilarious and I got really nostalgic when I watched Medabots a few months ago. I guess it goes back to the old idea of never judging a book by its cover. I wouldn't avoid an anime just because of it's art style.

That being said, I have seen shows that I find the animation difficult to watch because the actual frame rate seemed off. I can't think of any Japanese examples right now, but I couldn't get through the Canadian animated series Storm Hawks because the frame rate and style of animation was so strange.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
I kind of quite this topic when I tried to do my first post when the topic was first posted, but I lost all the pictures I was gatering and such, but I will just say my thoughts now. There are a number of styles, you have some that may vary from source materials, between genre, and between studios. You have some really experimental stuff, but I often find them a little offensive to my eyes.

But what I really enjoy is actually the blending of CG, well this mostly comes from the fact I just watched a particular series that did an awesome job (my post in "what watching now" thread), and also had the movie of .hack/ brought up elsewhere, then there is also Time of Eve which which also did a blending of two that should not feel right, but just blends.

I tend to like the general anime style, and you do see some variations which can keep you entertained. I might even just have to bring up some work KyoAni has done, a chibi style show that is popular, a movie that leaves everyone praising its art, they do not even do anything radically different in that. And there was Nichijou, now that is a ride in styles and such.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3