• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Voice acting question.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
hello i didn't know where to put this so this seemed like the best place and i couldnt find how to ask answerman a question

i am 25 years old and i graduated high school in 2006. i really have no acting experience except for some class plays and such.. i know what i want to do as a job but cant seem to figure out how to get there so i figured id ask here

what i would like to do is work on anime shows like naruto, bleach, dance in the vampire bund, one piece, Inuyasha and so forth. i will be starting college here soon not sure what to major in but all i really want to do is work on a anime show or even a manga. i prefer anime of course.

does anyone know how i can go about it.. where i can apply and what jobs might there be besides voice acting even though i wouldn't mind that just don't have the experience..

[EDIT: Changed your thread title to be more "subject-specific." -TK]
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
MattB wrote:
hello i didn't know where to put this so this seemed like the best place and i couldnt find how to ask answerman a question

Well, Answerman has answered this question many, many times, so there's no need to ask him again. Just read what he's already written.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
First, you have to know how to act. Second, you need to live by Funimation's or Sentai's studios, those are better for people starting out. Next, you have to go to auditions (yes, they do hold these, regardless of the fact they keep using the same people).

Big thing is, you need to know how to act, all the VAs will tell you this. Then you have to figure out how to get the acting in your voice, since people can't see you. Also, to let you know, you don't get paid much for doing voice-over work for anime, you can't make a living from it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
funimation uses Monster to place job positions.
GDFan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
funimation uses Monster to place job positions.

Who did Viz use to place Monster job positions?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
what? I'm not talking about the anime, if that is what you are asking
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:12 am Reply with quote
Yeah, pretty much what answerman says in this post. I didn't find much useful information in nbahn's other links, but for the record, I only skimmed those. Voice acting, like most creative jobs, is hard to break into. The only thing I can think to mention that wasn't mentioned in the above link is that, starting out, it might not be a good idea to get stuck in the mindset of working exclusively in anime. While it's not really my place to tell someone what to do with their life, or try and crush their dreams, I will say this; if you want to be a voice actor in anime, to the exclusion of other genres, then you should probably ask yourself how much you actually like voice acting, and how much you simply want to get a foot in (regardless which foot) the door (regardless which door) of an industry you love. If you don't love voice acting for voice acting's sake, then I would strongly recommend you consider a different career.

[Edit] Wow. After rereading your original post, I noticed that you aren't actually looking for help becoming a voice actor per say, but any job in the industry. As I mentioned above (and is also mentioned in one of nbahn's links that I casually dismissed [sorry]), this is a mindset that will more then likely lead to trouble. Simply enjoying the finished product is not reason enough to try and get involved in an industry; you need a genuine passion for (and preferably skill in) one of the steps involved in it's creation. Again, far be it from me to tell you what to do with your life and career. I do hope what I've said might convince you to think about what you want to spend the next fifty-plus years doing.

Last edited by wanderlustking on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:17 am Reply with quote
If it's not beyond your means, take some acting classes at college or something. I have a friend who's trying to get into voice acting and doing that.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
Don't worry if you don't have any talent. Blue Water will hire you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: No need to type in all caps and post 3 consecutive smilies. -TK]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1