• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What will happen to the future of anime dubs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
I thought Sony used Ocean for its R4 releases that appear on Animax Asia. I'm pretty sure they did the versions of shows like Nodame Cantabile and Kurozuka that now appear on Crackle.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
Domayv wrote:
What Funi did with Shana is unforgivable, and the only way they could repent for that is if they raise $590,000 by means of selling copies of Shana via a Kickstarter project and/or outsource some of their future dubs to Ocean

I have only one response for this statement: LOL. Well, I have another, but it questions your sanity in terms not appropriate for a family website.

Domayv wrote:
that means if they get Hayate the Combat Butler, they should outsource to Ocean

Hayate was never dubbed, so as GDFan pointed out, it wouldn't matter where they hypothetically did it. But what makes you think that Funi would even pick up Hayate? Since nobody has jumped on the franchise yet, I have to assume the sales of season one were dismal (I bought it, though). And there is nobody that would be insane enough to pick up and dub all 52 episodes of a poor selling show. And if you are not going to dub season 1, why start on season 2?

Now, to talk about the title of the thread instead of a single instance, the future of anime dubs is as follows.
Funimation will continue much as before, dubbing all shows but only grabbing high volume titles. Sentai will be continue the shotgun spread approach, hoping to recoup dubbing costs with streaming revenue. And both will continue to cut as many costs as possible in dubbing, because that is the single most expensive part of the R1 release. So if your favourite voice actor is too expensive, well, it sucks to be you.

There is also the continuum of fan preference.
All Sub[--1--|-----2------|------3-----|--4--]All Dub <- the Continuum

Fans in section 1 are a small percentage that watch only sub. Full disclosure: This includes me. These people don't give a rat's ass about dubs, except that they cause R1 releases to take so long.
Fans in section 2 are a large percentage that prefer subs, but will watch dubs too. These people generally watch everything streaming, and then will watch the dub if they buy the release. This group is growing larger due to the Crunchyroll effect.
Fans in section 3 are a large percentage that prefer dubs, but will watch subs on the shows that don't have releases. This group is being converted to section 2.
Fans in section 4 are a small percentage that watch only dub. These people like to complain a lot about how they keep getting screwed by these anime companies when they redub shows with actors they don't like or something.

Current trends suggest that the Crunchyroll effect will cause most of section 3 to be subsumed into section 2, which will result in a large percentage of the fanbase that doesn't really care that much about dubs. This is will cause dubs to be increasingly uneconomical, will result into greater cuts in voice acting talent. That is the future of anime dubs.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
Oh lord, it's Domayv. Rolling Eyes

People, listen. He does this all the time over at the FUNi forums too. There's no reasoning with him at all. The best thing to do is just ignore him.

Oh, and for your info, Domayv, Ocean was NEVER on life support. They more than took care of themselves by voicing cartoons and other projects. I'm sure My Little Pony pays their wages far more than any anime dub ever could.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I thought Sony used Ocean for its R4 releases that appear on Animax Asia. I'm pretty sure they did the versions of shows like Nodame Cantabile and Kurozuka that now appear on Crackle.

They did Kurozuka, but Nodame Cantabile was actually an LA dub.
Domayv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

They did Kurozuka, but Nodame Cantabile was actually an LA dub.

The animax asia dubs were done in Hong Kong. However, Animax Asia no longer dubs, preferring english subs instead.

Quote:
Oh, and for your info, Domayv, Ocean was NEVER on life support. They more than took care of themselves by voicing cartoons and other projects. I'm sure My Little Pony pays their wages far more than any anime dub ever could.

When I meant "life support" I meant anime dubbing.

Quote:
Now, to talk about the title of the thread instead of a single instance, the future of anime dubs is as follows.
Funimation will continue much as before, dubbing all shows but only grabbing high volume titles. Sentai will be continue the shotgun spread approach, hoping to recoup dubbing costs with streaming revenue. And both will continue to cut as many costs as possible in dubbing, because that is the single most expensive part of the R1 release.

Streaming's the only thing that can mitigate the high costs related to union dubbing (the highest limit is 10,000 per episode and the lowest limit for in-house is 5,000 but is on average 8,000-9,000. There's no highest limited for in-house dubbing compared to union dubbing).

Last edited by Domayv on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
From FUNi's panel at Anime Weekend Atlanta on Friday.

http://twitter.com/chadbonin/status/251855104217583616

Quote:
Sub-only releases of series that can't support a dub are a possibility, something to talk about. (@FUNimation @awacon)

Domayv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Quote:
Sub-only releases of series that can't support a dub are a possibility, something to talk about. (@FUNimation @awacon)

Maybe that can help mitigate the costs relating to union dubbing combined with streaming.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

People, listen. He does this all the time over at the FUNi forums too. There's no reasoning with him at all. The best thing to do is just ignore him.

Yep Ocean makes alot of $$$ off the Pony. Hasbro pays well to those that please them Laughing
Also, heres some Popcorn for yea Spaceman, lets you and me sit back and watch this play-out *chews popcorn, smiles evilly*
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Domayv wrote:
Maybe that can help mitigate the costs relating to union dubbing combined with streaming.
Actually, there's a better way to deal with the cost of union dubbing: use nonunion talent, preferably located in a right-to-work state - like Texas.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
@ SoundMonkey44

Oh, that is supposed to be popcorn. I was thinking aspirin. Wink
Domayv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Domayv wrote:
Actually, there's a better way to deal with the cost of union dubbing: use nonunion talent, preferably located in a right-to-work state - like Texas.

Yeah we already know, but some outsourcings to Oceans and Bang Zoom! would be nice.

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Yep Ocean makes alot of $$$ off the Pony. Hasbro pays well to those that please them Laughing
Also, heres some Popcorn for yea Spaceman, lets you and me sit back and watch this play-out *chews popcorn, smiles evilly*

That popcorn part makes no sense at all.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Wait, so does that mean Funimation is looking into sub-only releases, now?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
i don;t like anime dub anymore because they use the same 6 people all the time. It's getting annoying when ever characters sound the same.

Hire some 18-15 years old please. You can probably pay a 20 years old less than 40 years old VAs.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
i don;t like anime dub anymore because they use the same 6 people all the time. It's getting annoying when ever characters sound the same.

Hire some 18-15 years old please. You can probably pay a 20 years old less than 40 years old VAs.

they have a large talent pool, but most have other full time, better paying jobs, so they cant always make it to auditions. Thus, the ones you usually hear get the main roles since they also do other work at funimation.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Quote:

Right off the top of my head, I can think of ONE title I'd like to see Funi release sub-only... Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4