• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What will happen to the future of anime dubs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Me, I don't listen to dubs that much anymore so if they disappeared entirely it wouldn't really affect me personally.

That said, for the wider industry as a whole (both in Japan and elsewhere) I do think dubs are critically important.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
i don;t like anime dub anymore because they use the same 6 people all the time. It's getting annoying when ever characters sound the same.

Hire some 18-15 years old please. You can probably pay a 20 years old less than 40 years old VAs.

they have a large talent pool, but most have other full time, better paying jobs, so they can't always make it to auditions. Thus, the ones you usually hear get the main roles since they also do other work at funimation.

In the commentary, they said like 100 people show up for the main roles for Romeo x Juliet, but what do they do? Use people that they normally use. I think Romeo's VA was newer, so he was no big deal. What whoever the hell Juliet was, I think they use her too much.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I like to see dubs reported for upcoming releases because the more dubs the stronger the market and the less bitching on the forum. In addition, for Sentai, it means a better chance of getting a Bluray.

That said, I don't actually listen to dubs unless the characters are supposed to be speaking English. In most cases I couldn't tell you which of the shows I have actually have a dub track.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Domayv wrote:
Funi on the other hand when they got the Fafner movie, they decided to dump the cast in favor for an in-house cast because it would be cheaper. If Funi got those, would they do what Sentai did, or would they just dump those casts in favor for in-house casts because "it would be cheaper".

I don't see what's wrong with a company deciding to do something because it saves them money. Making money is the reason they're in business. Why would they spend extra money on something that probably won't return the investment just to help out a competitor? That make no sense.
Domayv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
Domayv wrote:
Funi on the other hand when they got the Fafner movie, they decided to dump the cast in favor for an in-house cast because it would be cheaper. If Funi got those, would they do what Sentai did, or would they just dump those casts in favor for in-house casts because "it would be cheaper".

I don't see what's wrong with a company deciding to do something because it saves them money. Making money is the reason they're in business. Why would they spend extra money on something that probably won't return the investment just to help out a competitor? That make no sense.

Sentai got FSN Movie, Mahoromatic & Rozen Maiden OVA, and K-on season 2 and outsourced to the original casts. If Funi got those instead, would they outsource like what sentai did or would they dump it instead? Pick your choice
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Domayv wrote:
Sentai got FSN Movie, Mahoromatic & Rozen Maiden OVA, and K-on season 2 and outsourced to the original casts. If Funi got those instead, would they outsource like what sentai did or would they dump it instead? Pick your choice

Because those were mostly non-union pay, to begin with. There was a reason why an original VA was replaced. Because she was a union worker and it was non-union work.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I will say this though: I do agree with Domayv's idea of using Kickstarter to help fund dubs.

Not necessarily to re-dub Shana, no. But if someone like Aniplex, Discotek, Nozomi, or NISA were to set up a Kickstarter drive in order to help fund the dub of a certain title, I'd be all over that.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Domayv wrote:

I don't really see what that has to do with what I said, but whatever. If fans really love and are attached to the dubs and would refuse to buy anything that had a different cast, then it would make more financial sense for Funi to outsource. If most fans aren't attached to the original cast and would buy regardless of the dub, then it would make more financial sense for Funi to do the dub themselves. Funimation is a business. They're in it for the money. If doing something doesn't make financial sense, then they're not going to do it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I just got done watching Blue Drop on CR and was halfway through it before I released that a dub was available. And with Hillary Haag in the lead, no less.

So is what's happening is that the streaming market will actually license a sub directly from Japan rather than go to a domestic distributor with a dub? If so the I don't see the economics of the dub market working out too well for anything but the biggest titles.

Are we going to get a dub for the rest of Fariy Tail? We didn't see one for anything past the first season of Hell Girl. There have been a number of latter seasons for shows where the dub was abandoned. Too many for me to remember.

Too bad -- I'm going to miss the talent pool that included Haag, Rial, Ayers, Christian, Bailey, and all the old guard. Nothing good lasts forever I guess.
Domayv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Domayv wrote:

Because those were mostly non-union pay, to begin with. There was a reason why an original VA was replaced. Because she was a union worker and it was non-union work.

Those stuff (Mahoromatic & Rozen Maiden OVA, FSN Movie, and K-on s2) were outsourced to a union studio (Bang Zoom!)
Domayv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
Domayv wrote:

I don't really see what that has to do with what I said, but whatever. If fans really love and are attached to the dubs and would refuse to buy anything that had a different cast, then it would make more financial sense for Funi to outsource. If most fans aren't attached to the original cast and would buy regardless of the dub, then it would make more financial sense for Funi to do the dub themselves. Funimation is a business. They're in it for the money. If doing something doesn't make financial sense, then they're not going to do it.

well, the cast of Shana S1 was good enough that it would be more sensible to outsource, and when a recent ANN podcast said that Funi was in talks with Ocean for Shana & Black Lagoon, many Shana & Black Lagoon fans went awestruck in joy, but then they decided to dump that cast in favor for an in-house cast that is inferior compared to season 1, so they might as well do a kickstarter project to raise 590,000 to get back the original cast.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I just got done watching Blue Drop on CR and was halfway through it before I released that a dub was available. And with Hillary Haag in the lead, no less.

So is what's happening is that the streaming market will actually license a sub directly from Japan rather than go to a domestic distributor with a dub? If so the I don't see the economics of the dub market working out too well for anything but the biggest titles.

Are we going to get a dub for the rest of Fariy Tail? We didn't see one for anything past the first season of Hell Girl. There have been a number of latter seasons for shows where the dub was abandoned. Too many for me to remember.

Too bad -- I'm going to miss the talent pool that included Haag, Rial, Ayers, Christian, Bailey, and all the old guard. Nothing good lasts forever I guess.

Blue Drop was actually one of the shows that Sentai first put out, back when they were doing strictly sub-only releases. It sold well enough that they later re-released it (along with several other titles) with English audio.

Since then, Sentai really hasn't done many other English re-releases, with the exception being the Princess Resurrection complete collection. They've instead adopted a more straight-forward "dub whatever we put on blu-ray as well as any action-oriented titles" policy that seems to be working well for them.

And yes, we will get more Fairy Tail dubbed. The title sold very well for them, so FUNimation has already licensed the next 24 episodes as well as the movie, and it wouldn't be shocking to say we'll get more later on as well.

Hell Girl honestly just never really sold well in the first place. We're lucky we even got the second and third seasons stateside to begin with.

And all of the voice actors you mentioned still do plenty of voice acting to this very day. Haag does a lot of work for Sentai, while Ayres, Christian and Rial work for both Sentai and FUNi. Laura Bailey still does the occasional dub for FUNi as well, but she's largely moved on to LA dubs for anime and games. Her and her husband Travis Willingham both live out there now, so the change makes sense.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Domayv wrote:
Those stuff (Mahoromatic & Rozen Maiden OVA, FSN Movie, and K-on s2) were outsourced to a union studio (Bang Zoom!)

Yes, it was recording at Bang Zoom, but it doesn't mean the VAs are union. I'll tell you right now that Ko-n was a non-union dub because Laura Bailey voiced in it and she still does work with Funimation (non-union). When it comes to the LA and NY dubs, they can be both union and non-union, it all depends on who they want to cast and how much they want to spend. Such as, Freeman is a union worker, his agent doesn't allow him to work non-union jobs. But JYB, he can work non-union.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
Blue Drop was actually one of the shows that Sentai first put out, back when they were doing strictly sub-only releases. It sold well enough that they later re-released it (along with several other titles) with English audio.

And that's were you would be wrong. Sentai only went back to dub it because it got international support, other places wanted a dub if it and they covered the bill for the dubbing cost. They have said it would've never gotten a dub if it wasn't for the fact other places licensed it off of them.
Domayv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Quote:
Yes, it was recording at Bang Zoom, but it doesn't mean the VAs are union. I'll tell you right now that Ko-n was a non-union dub because Laura Bailey voiced in it and she still does work with Funimation (non-union). When it comes to the LA and NY dubs, they can be both union and non-union, it all depends on who they want to cast and how much they want to spend. Such as, Freeman is a union worker, his agent doesn't allow him to work non-union jobs. But JYB, he can work non-union.

Well, that still doesn't explain why Funi didn't outsource the fafner movie to the original cast, especially since now you mentioned that LA & NY dubs can also be non-union. Possibly Scott McNeil may be non-union because he was in FMA & Samurai 7.

Quote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

And that's were you would be wrong. Sentai only went back to dub it because it got international support, other places wanted a dub if it and they covered the bill for the dubbing cost. They have said it would've never gotten a dub if it wasn't for the fact other places licensed it off of them.

Was it released elsewhere? No
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In Los Angeles, there are two major actors' unions: the Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists. Most voice actors are members of these two unions, and almost all TV shows or movies recorded in the area are officially authorized by the unions, as well as most western video games recorded in the area and some anime.

However, in order to save money, a lot of game companies record in Los Angeles but don't officially make deals with the unions. Thus, the project is considered non-union. The major rule about being a SAG member is that they aren't allowed to work non-union jobs. In many non-union projects, union actors are hired on the down low. They aren't credited in order to avoid getting into trouble with the unions. In the past, an alternative route was to use pseudonyms (done in many late '90s and early 2000s anime dubs), but this is now rarely done.

Persona 4 used union voice actors despite the game not being unionized, so the voice actors didn't get credited (boo!). Nearly all games developed by Atlus (as well as many other companies, particularly Namco-Bandai, Koei, Konami, and others) are guilty of this practice.

They explain it pretty well.

Domayv wrote:
Well, that still doesn't explain why Funi didn't outsource the fafner movie to the original cast, especially since now you mentioned that LA & NY dubs can also be non-union. Possibly Scott McNeil may be non-union because he was in FMA & Samurai 7.

I think Scott turned union or he wasn't able to get back to the Funimation studio to reprise his role in FMA: BH, and I'm pretty sure that man resides in Canada, since he voiced in Gundam 00. And I think they said Fafner wasn't a good seller, but enough for them to save the title, that would be why they used the JYB sound alike.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4