• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
From the New World (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
If this wasn't based on a (well regarded) preexisting novel, I'd be worried the creators were just pulling shit out of their asses, with no clue what direction they were going with all the esoteric mumbo-jumbo they've dropped in the first episode. I really hope this show lives up to it's potential, because I do love shows that don't just throw their premise on the ground from the word go; my use of the word esoteric earlier wasn't pejorative. I just hope it lives up to the word, and shit does start making sense. in good time.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
This is based off a novel that won an illustrious sci-fi award (like the Hugo/Nebula in US). The writing should be quite well done. I wouldn't expect much of any complaining about plot holes.

Like the Nebula, specifically, in that it's given by an organization of sf writers. No way is a group of writers going to be handing out an award to anything with glaring plot holes. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
What I found very interesting was that, unless crunchyroll's subtitles had an error

It was an error. Anime smile While the stylized kanji they use is hard to read, I'm pretty sure it was spoiler[Reiko's name that was stamped out].

I haven't actually watched the fansubs, though, so I'm not sure what they did.

Ah, thank you. Well, that shuts down one line of speculation I had going. At this point I'm not really sure what's going on with the missing children.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Belatedly checked out the first episode of this. It definitely got my attention, I'll give it that.

I like that it does something a lot of fantasy and sci-fi properties don't even try to do, which is establish right off the bat (and with a fairly low amount of exposition as these things go) that the setting we're being introduced to is very different to our world, and so the audience really doesn't know what to expect. This creates tension in for example the scene with the fire ritual- I found myself on edge wondering what was going to happen to the main character if she couldn't follow the priest guy's instructions. That's pretty impressive considering this was just the first two or three minutes of the first episode.

The entire episode is suffused with a sense of low-level dread, even with the school scenes. With so many anime series these days opting for oatmealy blandness, something with more atmosphere is greatly appreciated.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

These kids need to work on the idea of rules being there for safety, but we learned some pretty strange things. spoiler[Animals possibly having rappid evolution from human minds, and some sort of complex bio computers or is it artificial animals.]

Where are things heading? We will have to wait till next week as it looks like there will be some hard truthes.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

This episode was mostly relaxing.
spoiler[Enjoying the camping trip.
Although kids camping alone is kinda reckless.
They sure were having fun exploring.
The weird creature-like walking library was interesting.
Wonder what kinds of mysterious things they'll learn from it.]
underlock

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
The short stories are fairly interesting, but so far they're ruining the anime more than doing it any good. Why can't the anime be like that? But instead we get this.

I spent half episode mumbling about how I don't want to be watching a bunch of kids using some lame power.

And then the rats got me interested again. And now I curse this turtle pace.

Wait, people discussing episode 3 already? Need to be careful with this thread.
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote
EP 3: Wow!
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
980 Petabytes is an insane amount of data storage
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I actually love the format of this anime. The initial stories are obviously events that happened in the past. I imagine they are ones that lead up to the development of the current society. I also like the interplay in the relationships with the kids.

But it's the mysteries going on that's really got me going. Loving it.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I can't say its fitting my personal taste perfectly, but the show has me interested.

The short stories at the begining are interesting but all I want to know is how the kids and their actions correlate to them or vise versa. as for the main story in of itself, I obviously see it as a comming of age thing, which I have no issue on (hell I like stories with kids for characters, if done right it can be fun and interesting) but I can't exactly tell whats supposed to be the direction its trying to go in. Its a puzzling series for me but I like that for the momment.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
980 Petabytes is an insane amount of data storage
Well, 980 megabytes was an insane amount of data storage 40 years ago. 980 petabytes almost seemed small to me. It's the number I'd come up with if I wanted something really big, but couldn't figure out what comes after 'peta.'
underlock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
1 terabyte barely does it for me anymore. I can imagine that nearly 1 million terabytes isn't really that huge for something that seems to be the remnants of a society's whole history. But then again, that appears to be just one of many.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
currently, 50 petabytes alone is enough to store all of the written works of mankind, from the beginning of recorded history, and in all languages. i know they are 1000 years into the future, but it seems that most of that time was spent on rebuilding civilization, so im really curious as to what the other 930 petabytes of information contains
underlock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Libraries don't only record books alone anymore. They weren't specific on that, but I expect text isn't the only stored information.

By the way, this may be of interest:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/134672-harvard-cracks-dna-storage-crams-700-terabytes-of-data-into-a-single-gram

Last edited by underlock on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 62