• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
From the New World (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:48 am Reply with quote
^
Tomiko would be affecting every molecule in her body, not just the telomares.

As to your other questions, you're right in that that molecules are being affected, but not specific types of molecules. Basically, you don't need to target one type of molecules or the other in order to set something on fire; just vibrate them all. In order to rip someone in half, imagine a plane (i.e. 2D surface) inside them and pull in opposite directions. No need to say which molecules do what, just grab them all and pull. Or twist. Whatever you want.

Shun transforming hig dog has the same problem as Tomiko repairing her telomares.

I've already covered how Saki and Satoru could do area attacks. They merely focused on what they could see - the fields - then just vibrated them violently enough to cause combustion.

Setting something large and visible on fire, or ripping it apart, is easy. It requires no finesse. Mutating or repairing on a cell-by-cell level is impossible for a human mind to do. Yes, we see characters do it, but that doesn't lessen the impossibility. It just means that characters are doing an impossible thing, i.e. a flaw in the show. Not a big one - not something that effects how I view the show or my enjoyment of it.

I don't even know why we're talking about this in so much depth when there are plenty of other things we could be discussing.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Mutating or repairing on a cell-by-cell level is impossible for a human mind to do. Yes, we see characters do it, but that doesn't lessen the impossibility. It just means that characters are doing an impossible thing, i.e. a flaw in the show.

Impossible for a normal human mind, sure, but Cantus users are not normal humans.

Perhaps the nature of their powers (well, Tomiko's in particular, since she said it required action/know-how on her part) is such that they, being not-normal humans with not-normal mental abilities, can perceive things at that level or (more in Shun's case) that they don't need to be able to, the nature of the power just does it without their input.

I think the finesse point is a good one and serves to illustrate the difference in relative power/experience of Tomiko/Shun/maskguy [edit: compared to the rest of the cast, I mean].

Last edited by Veers on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Mutating or repairing on a cell-by-cell level is impossible for a human mind to do. Yes, we see characters do it, but that doesn't lessen the impossibility. It just means that characters are doing an impossible thing, i.e. a flaw in the show.

Dude I think you're kinda forgetting the obvious here.

This show takes place in an impossible setting full of people with impossible powers.

Cantus isn't part of real life, it could literally be whatever you want it to be as long as there isn't any rule assigned to it.

Not to mention, how did you think the spoiler[queerats] were created?
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:

The difference here is that Tomiko actually explained what her power was doing in detail while none of the other attack-type power usage in the show was really explained, so this raises the question: if the other types of Cantus usage (besides things like levitation which is more an application of force) weren't manipulating things on the molecular level, then what were they doing?

I think this is the most interesting question to come out of this whole discussion, and actually I'd throw the applications of force back in.

It appears that a simplistic, everyday understanding of those objects and how they move and transform is sufficient to perform those manipulations on them.

I think the main issue boils down to the fact that things like books and rocks we feel like we could rotate, levitate, crush, etc. Because we have had experience manipulating them and have a model in our head of what they're like, but unfamiliar things like molecules and telomeres, most people lack the knowledge of these things to have that internal visualization, that internal version of them, but if you do, you feel like you could manipulate them just like the classical objects.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
Dude I think you're kinda forgetting the obvious here.

This show takes place in an impossible setting full of people with impossible powers.

Cantus isn't part of real life, it could literally be whatever you want it to be as long as there isn't any rule assigned to it.

Came here to say this.

FTNW is not science.

FTNW is not science fiction.

FTNW is fantasy. It has about the same basis in science as Pretty Cure or Chronicles of Narnia and just because they used the grown up science-ish word "teleomere" doesn't change that.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
^

This argument has always bothered me as a general statement. I think the whole "lol it's magic so it doesn't have to make sense" thing is just bogus. Something fantastical can be analytically constructed, or not. There are both both fantasy and science ficiton stories in which the speculative elements are random bullshit (for example Harry Potter) and those where it isn't (for example Ender's Game and The Chronicles of Amber). It is possible to have a 'physical fantasy' story, in which the fantastical elements work and are explained in an analytic and technical way. I personally find these to be the most rewarding, and the ones that are really BS I find quite boring.

I'm not going to go into whether I think this show is science fiction or fantasy, because for one I think that distinction isn't as big a divide as it's often considered, and second because it's a red herring anyway.

Anyways, the science in From the New World is actually very good, especially the biology aspects. It would be weird if the Power wasn't treated with the same level of rigor as everything else, and was.

They didn't just throw the word 'telomere' in there as technobabble (or biobabble in this case Cool). It served multiple purposes to the plot and setting (for example, it showed us that scientific knowledge of such things persisted into the future, where at first glance the society may seem to be 'back to the basics' due to their abandonment of advanced mechanical technology), and also was accurate. If telomeres could actually be repaired like that, we would probably see similar results.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
^

This argument has always bothered me as a general statement. I think the whole "lol it's magic so it doesn't have to make sense" thing is just bogus. Something fantastical can be analytically constructed, or not. There are both both fantasy and science ficiton stories in which the speculative elements are random bullshit (for example Harry Potter) and those where it isn't (for example Ender's Game and The Chronicles of Amber). It is possible to have a 'physical fantasy' story, in which the fantastical elements work and are explained in an analytic and technical way. I personally find these to be the most rewarding, and the ones that are really BS I find quite boring.

I'm not going to go into whether I think this show is science fiction or fantasy, because for one I think that distinction isn't as big a divide as it's often considered, and second because it's a red herring anyway.

Anyways, the science in From the New World is actually very good, especially the biology aspects. It would be weird if the Power wasn't treated with the same level of rigor as everything else, and was.

They didn't just throw the word 'telomere' in there as technobabble (or biobabble in this case Cool). It served multiple purposes to the plot and setting (for example, it showed us that scientific knowledge of such things persisted into the future, where at first glance the society may seem to be 'back to the basics' due to their abandonment of advanced mechanical technology), and also was accurate. If telomeres could actually be repaired like that, we would probably see similar results.

Popular fantasy and science fiction works normally don't make sense. Otherwise it can be too boring for most people too watch. When you are fighting in space, you are not supposed to able hear any sound. In Star War, Gundam ... explosion sound everywhere.

Albert Einstein said we can't travel faster than speed of light. Most anime follow this rule, they use space warp instead.

Magic is too fake, you can't explain about logic anyway, unless you explain all the rules in that world at the very beginning, there are going to be alot of BS coming. Even Fate Zero doesn't make any sense when they spent like 4 eps explaining the rules. Almost all the rules are breaking at the end.

From the New World biology is BS. Combining human and rat genes. Make human unable to other humans.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Popular fantasy and science fiction works normally don't make sense. Otherwise it can be too boring for most people too watch. When you are fighting in space, you are not supposed to able hear any sound. In Star War, Gundam ... explosion sound everywhere.

Albert Einstein said we can't travel faster than speed of light. Most anime follow this rule, they use space warp instead.

Magic is too fake, you can't explain about logic anyway, unless you explain all the rules in that world at the very beginning, there are going to be alot of BS coming. Even Fate Zero doesn't make any sense when they spent like 4 eps explaining the rules. Almost all the rules are breaking at the end.

From the New World biology is BS. Combining human and rat genes. Make human unable to other humans.

That's all true enough, but you're missing something important: internal logic/internal consistency. Even if something doesn't make sense to us, or seems (or is) impossible in the real world, in the fictional world the rules ought to be consistent. If the author establishes something, then they can't just later alter that thing without reason or justification of some sort. And things should make sense within the context of the established story, even if they make no sense outside of that context.
drdr48

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the BD of the first four episodes and MY GOD the animation quality is just amazing, almost like a feature film.

So why? Why did it had to turn to crap after that? (The animation quality, not the show, of course).
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
They used a variety of episode directors, and A-1 has a lot of projects going on simultaneously. It's not uncommon for the best directors to be assigned the early episodes of a series, then switched off to another series just coming online. The worst example of this for me was Studio DEEN's Shion no Ou where the original artists were replaced with people who couldn't draw a nose without making the character look like Pinocchio (warning: linked graphic is spoiler).

The graphics improve down the road in Shin Sekai Yori, with the later episodes being quite well illustrated.
drdr48

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
They used a variety of episode directors, and A-1 has a lot of projects going on simultaneously. It's not uncommon for the best directors to be assigned the early episodes of a series, then switched off to another series just coming online. The worst example of this for me was Studio DEEN's Shion no Ou where the original artists were replaced with people who couldn't draw a nose without making the character look like Pinocchio (warning: linked graphic is spoiler).

The graphics improve down the road in Shin Sekai Yori, with the later episodes being quite well illustrated.

Well, it's really annoying and jarring to see how much of a difference in quality there is between the first few episodes to everything that came after them... Confused

If only Production I.G or Bones would have handled this series instead... Confused
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:44 am Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

Well, it's really annoying and jarring to see how much of a difference in quality there is between the first few episodes to everything that came after them... Confused

If only Production I.G or Bones would have handled this series instead... Confused

I've seen both of them screw up an anime. Look over at the The Flowers of Evil thread for people bitching about IG's take on that one.

In my experience, A-1 has done an incredible job with most series. And that's evidenced by the amount of work they do have.
drdr48

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
drdr48 wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

I've seen both of them screw up an anime. Look over at the The Flowers of Evil thread for people bitching about IG's take on that one.

In my experience, A-1 has done an incredible job with most series. And that's evidenced by the amount of work they do have.

The Flowers of Evil anime was done by Zexcs, not Production I.G...

Well they did a bad (well not bad, more like mixed) job with the animation of this series, also in Magi, SAO, and many of their other shows...

The quality of the animation in most of their shows is never consistent.
Stealth00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:

Also, if there was some kind of way to use their powers for birth control, don't you think they would have let them have heterosexual relationships in their teens?

The whole point of them having homosexual relationships as the norm when they are in their teens is because they don't have any kind birth control methods and the adults don't want any unexpected pregnancies, especially not at that age.

Teens may not have enough control over their powers, that doesn't preclude adults from being able to do it. Just like Saki has the potential to stop herself from aging, it doesn't mean she has the technique and mastery required yet.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:
Just watched the BD of the first four episodes and MY GOD the animation quality is just amazing, almost like a feature film.

So why? Why did it had to turn to crap after that? (The animation quality, not the show, of course).

Also keep in mind that they actually redid a lot of the animation for the first BD. it didn't sell well, so they couldn't budget it for later volumes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 59 of 62