• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: I.G, Tatami Galaxy's Yuasa Raise Funds for Kick-Heart Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IkariGendo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Ishikawa had a talk last friday where he pretty much clearly stated short films bring in 0 profits, same goes for festival awards, those merely bring some recognition and might open doors down the line and create new oportunities.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
IkariGendo wrote:
Ishikawa had a talk last friday where he pretty much clearly stated short films bring in 0 profits, same goes for festival awards, those merely bring some recognition and might open doors down the line and create new oportunities.

Again posting without reading, sigh!

Since you posted probably due to my post, for the nth I said I am saying this can become an excellent option to fund (other) commercial projects too, you know, tv series, ovas, movies maybe, not just short films, so I clearly stated since the beginning I am not referring specifically to this short film but as an alternate model which Yuasa think can fund other kind of series that under current condition cannot be done or dont attract investors, and 99.9% of the time if you dont get investors is because your project wont yield good fast profits regardless of it being good or simply dont believe in your potential(skill) to produce a good product that can generate good profits fast.

As I said, may series while dont bring loses dont generate enough profit to be attractive, and the fan suffer the consequences of greedy investors that want profits fast, so a good alternative is make those fan investors that many willing to not get the good profit margins your usual investors desire, and while you are at it liberate the creators of the usual interference from them that dont know crap about anime/animation or care about it and only want to reduce costs to increase profits or that will cancel the anime simply because its not getting them enough money and simply want to invest in something MORE profitable, this is mainly what Yuasa tell us in the video and the reason why he is experimenting with this project.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
The purpose of Kickstarter has never been [and never will be] to get together a large group of small investors to share profits with. The complications for something like that would be incredibly enormous, with lots of fun tax and legal issues that would cause everyone avoid it like the plague.

This isn't about traditional investment with the possibility of a return, this is about fans having their voices heard directly by the creators and becoming INVESTED in the success of something they want to see become a reality.

So, no, don't go into this thinking you're going to get a check at the end of this, because that was never what this was about. Go into it thinking that you're going to be part of the reason that a cool-looking movie got made.

Damn right. Also, Daryl Surat nailed it.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I pledged $60. I would pledge more if I had the cash.

Masaaki Yuasa is, IMO, the most interesting of the current anime directors. I've loved each of his works, and own every one of them that were released in English (US version of Cat Soup, Japanese version of Mind Game, Australian versions of Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy, and Genius Party)
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a fascinating idea. With the way that fans can communicate back to the industry beforehand allowing more risks to be taken. So long as whoever is watching the bank account is responsible with this money this could be a great first step into the future.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I get what you're saying, Daryl, and I agree with the concept but I'm not on board with this particular title looking at the art and materials on their Kickstarter, it just looks uninteresting. At least not stand-alone. Seems like it'd have been a smarter idea to approach with another anthology like Sweat Punch and or Genius Party, but it also leads me to believe that the OVA as a format for creativity is gone, divided up between serial film runs and 12 episode TV anime, and no amount of donation drives will fix that.

If something comes up that tickles my fancy, I'll be more inclined to donate to that. I know on principle I should be helping to fund this one, but I just don't want to. Also, it seems like the Japanese producers will need to be in contact with western industry figures, otherwise there will be a complete lack of communication with western fans, Japan doesn't know how to market to us directly. I could see that being a hindrance.

I have to say that your comment is very one sided and unfair. Why?

When you mentioned complete lack of communications, you think that fans are faultless? I disagree.

It's not just Japanese producers who overestimated the western market. The fault also lies on western fans who refused to accept the niche status of anime,

Why do you think that Japanese care more about their domestic market and focusing on China for their animations? Why do you think that more Japanese companies are not interested in making animation for western audience? As media consumers, western fans never gave them anything serious (a lot of money) and thus Japanese producers don't owe us anything. They're just following the money and they found out that they can't make money in the west in hard way. Those licensed US DVD's and BD's won't even cover 1/10th of one anime production cost.

When some people complain this Kickstarter initiative, it's a clear indication that western fans are VERY unreasonable toward niche status of anime. Any Japanese producer would find it difficult to cater to western fans when such unreasonable expectations persist.

Although it's only 10 minutes long, I'm very positive that this is a feature-grade animation. We're paying 1/10th of what American counterpart may ask for the same endeavor. Here we are complaining about these Japanese producers charging $100K when they simply want to survive. They're not going off rich by doing this. If you call yourself a fan, then show your quality by give something back.

The western figures rather push property based on nostalgia and/or toy line than "those crazy Japanese ideas" only appreciated by core fans and critics. If Western figures are interested in Japan, they would always ask Japanese to make 2D animation version for their blockbuster properties. Also they will actively promote and distribute Japanese properties out of deep respect. Unfortunately, that's not happening.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I gave 100 dollars - the absolute most I'm able to spend without threatening my budget. What an absolute dream it is to be able to take that money and give not to the consumption of an anime, but its creation, and at the hands of one of the greatest modern-day auteurs in the medium no less.

This is revolutionary. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to be even a small part of it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
@dan9999: I don't know about the situation in Japan, but in the US the state strictly regulates who can be an investor and to what degree they can based on wealth(gotta keep those poor folks down somehow). Kickstarter's designed to get around that sort of nonsense, but one of the conditions of the loophole is that you can't give out shares as rewards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3