• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kokoro Connect BDs/DVDs to Use Different Opening Theme

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
So can we put aside the horrible analogies and discuss the actual situation at hand, which people keep trying to minimize and dismiss?

Anyone?
Some people believe the people when they said the videos were edited to make them look evil. The extreme delay seems to corroborate their story(if it were that bad, wouldn't the audience there have pitched a fit?). For actual minimization, I don't think there are many in the "I believe 2ch's version of things but I'm against the boycott anyway" camp so much as on the "I don't care what happened, a show I like is going to get suckyass sales and that's just badong!" bandwagon.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Kokoro (Mind) Connect

Err...I hate to diverge again, but...what?

EDICT wrote:

心 【こころ】 (n) (1) mind; heart; spirit; (2) the meaning of a phrase (riddle, etc.);
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Kokoro (Mind) Connect

Err...I hate to diverge again, but...what?

EDICT wrote:

心 【こころ】 (n) (1) mind; heart; spirit; (2) the meaning of a phrase (riddle, etc.);

I was more curious as to why he felt the need to include the translation of Kokoro in the title.

Also, I'd say that "heart" is probably closer to the intent, instead of mind.
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quote
The comments on Yaraon are funny. Half the comment stream seems to be people making fun of Kikuchi's twitter saying "how lame" to the eufonius singer, etc.
scineram

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:57 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

So, the big lesson learned from this is: anime production companies do not piss off the angry otaku mob if you do not want your series to be cancelled.

Very, very, very hard, dare I say impossible it is to cancel a second season that has not yet been green lit. As far as we know.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:30 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

What else is there to discuss? Seems open and shut to me. Some staff messed up and now they're paying for it, despite a few people's claims that consumers should have no say or right to boycott.

Nope.

Not gonna let this go.

Go back and read the conversation between yourself and Surrender Artist and you tell me that you were the rational person there, that you weren't just trying to stir up sh*t. You go back and you look at that and you tell me you feel justified comparing this trivial crap to the civil rights movement in the 1960s.

I'm probably still going to ban you, but feel free to attempt it anyway.
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
I was surprised at the comments on amazon.co.jp on the Kokoro Connect BDs. Not even out yet but terrible ratings and comments about this. I didn't think this controversy would be well known but it seems to be that way. Beyond the low overall rating and comments, even more clicked the checkbox saying they found those reviews helpful. I wonder if we'll even see all the discs for the season come out. I hope we do see them but the reaction is worse than I expected. Just some crazy antifans? How do you know?
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
The outrage is genuine. The only question is whether or not "crazy antifans" or trolls doctored the clips or if those are real.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
scineram wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

So, the big lesson learned from this is: anime production companies do not piss off the angry otaku mob if you do not want your series to be cancelled.

Very, very, very hard, dare I say impossible it is to cancel a second season that has not yet been green lit. As far as we know.

I am not only talking about Kokoro Connect here. I would be very disappointed if the in the future more series (especially if they are good) get cancelled because some otakus got pissed about a trivial thing. Yes, I am calling the publicity stunt a triviality.

I also wonder if more production committees in the near future will opt to show anime on theaters rather than on tv. That way they can recoup some of the investment through movie tickets and not have to rely so much on BD/DVD sales. I do not know how feasible that would, but there is an idea to protect themselves from potential boycotts.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
I don't think that's a viable strategy - would you want to pay over $65(probably well over) just to see one series once?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I don't think that's a viable strategy - would you want to pay over $65(probably well over) just to see one series once?

If you refer to $65 as the money used to see 5 hour long anime episodes in movie theaters, that is not expensive. I do not know how exactly movie theaters work in Japan, but in the United States people seem to be happy to pay $10-15 just to watch a movie.

Also, remember that Hollywood movie makers recoup most of their investment (if not all) in movie theaters. I would have to know more about the anime industry and Japanese movie theaters to really know if my suggestion would be viable, but it does not seem too far fetched to me.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
It might work like...once. But there's no way to sustain the TV industry that way, and less than $100 for an entire anime run means far less money flowing in. Not to mention, you're paying movie prices for TV quality and TV pacing, it sounds like a disaster unless it's a fast-paced and ultimately rewording show.

You'd have to find an appropriate title (Break Blade, Kara no Kyoukai, Mardock Scramble, etc.) break them into reasonable chunks, up their budgets, and space them far enough apart. There's no way you're going to do this for your run of the mill drama unless it's 120 minutes or less like Literature Girl. What you're doing in actuality is turning what would have been a decent budget OVA into a theatrical product, and it carries just as much risk as any other film. Even worse if you flood theaters with garbage, at least an otaku at home can DVR what he needs for when he wants it.

Also, Japan has FAR FEWER theaters than America, and they not have to compete with Japanese cinema, but Hollywood imports on top of that. Big anime films maybe only get a couple hundred theaters across the country, or as little as in the teens. Then, think about the international market and how this would affect everyone not in Japan, no more simulcasts.

edit: Murrica

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It might work like...once. But there's no way to sustain the TV industry that way, and less than $100 for an entire anime run means far less money flowing in. Not to mention, you're paying movie prices for TV quality and TV pacing, it sounds like a disaster unless it's a fast-paced and ultimately rewording show.

You'd have to find an appropriate title (Break Blade, Kara no Kyoukai, Mardock Scramble, etc.) break them into reasonable chunks, up their budgets, and space them far enough apart. There's no way you're going to do this for your run of the mill drama unless it's 120 minutes or less like Literature Girl. What you're doing in actuality is turning what would have been a decent budget OVA into a theatrical product, and it carries just as much risk as any other film. Even worse if you flood theaters with garbage, at least an otaku at home can DVR what he needs for when he wants it.

Also, Japan has FAR FEWER theaters than Japan, and they not have to compete with Japanese cinema, but Hollywood imports on top of that. Big anime films maybe only get a couple hundred theaters across the country, or as little as in the teens. Then, think about the international market and how this would affect everyone not in Japan, no more simulcasts.

What you say makes absolute sense. It really seems like a hard task to sustain the anime industry through Japanese movie theaters. I neglected to mention that these movie theater productions would of course be sold in BD/DVD.

I totally forgot about simulcasts. It would suck if we were not able to watch new anime within hours after premiering in Japanese television.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
What you say makes absolute sense. It really seems like a hard task to sustain the anime industry through Japanese movie theaters. I neglected to mention that these movie theater productions would of course be sold in BD/DVD.

I totally forgot about simulcasts. It would suck if we were not able to watch new anime within hours after premiering in Japanese television.

You can certainly sustain theatrical anime in theater-first runs, but they have to be worth seeing. Anime doesn't yet the have problem of filling theaters with junk like live-action cinema, and they're still narrowing aiming features like Mardock Scramble at otaku, so risk is lowered. What's occurred over the last few years in regard to this serialization of anime is something entirely new on this scale.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
If you refer to $65 as the money used to see 5 hour long anime episodes in movie theaters, that is not expensive. I do not know how exactly movie theaters work in Japan, but in the United States people seem to be happy to pay $10-15 just to watch a movie.
Actually, I was estimating $5 for a ticket to a normal episode. It's been forever since I've been to a theater, so I'm probably way off base.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5