• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spielberg Still Has Oldboy Plans Despite Korean Suit

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:25 am Reply with quote
I'm excited about the movie.

But even if the publishers sues and no one can be found even if they get a settlement in their favor how can they collect? Especially if they're bankrupt..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
Man, I kind of expect those types of shenanigans from a company based in Mainland China and/or Malaysia, not South Korea. Anyway, Futubasha should just get its money back from Dreamworks. Oh, and you forgot to mention Justin Lin and Nick Cage being attached to the original one.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
If this was Marvel comics or something, this sort of thing would never happen.

Marvel would get its money and that's for damn sure.
Pete577

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
Of all the movies that don't need to be remade, why choose Oldboy? It's great as it is, just watch it with subtitles and all that. Hollywood originality is dead. Just look at all the remakes/adaptations: Transformers, Watchmen, Dragon Ball, Spider-man, Friday the 13th, etc, etc, etc.

I have some respect for both Spielburg and Smith, but this just doesn't need to happen.

Also, it seems fishy that that Show East CEO Kim Dong-ju has disappeared. Maybe he's locked in a hotel room somewhere.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote
Pete577 wrote:
Of all the movies that don't need to be remade, why choose Oldboy? It's great as it is, just watch it with subtitles and all that. Hollywood originality is dead. Just look at all the remakes/adaptations: Transformers, Watchmen, Dragon Ball, Spider-man, Friday the 13th, etc, etc, etc.

I have some respect for both Spielburg and Smith, but this just doesn't need to happen.

Also, it seems fishy that that Show East CEO Kim Dong-ju has disappeared. Maybe he's locked in a hotel room somewhere.

Then you have Ringu and the Ring where the remake is better in practically every way, from story to cinematography.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Then you have Ringu and the Ring where the remake is better in practically every way, from story to cinematography.

No. Just no. The only remakes that are better than the original are John Carpenter's The Thing and David Cronenberg's The Fly.

Last edited by Ryo Hazuki on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kitano360

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Ryo Hazuki"]
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Pete577 wrote:

No. Just no. The only remakes that are better than the original are John Carpenter's The Thing and David Cronenberg's The Fly.

Totally agree. Ringu is far, far superior in every way. Looking forward to seeing what Spielberg does with this.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Pete577 wrote:
Of all the movies that don't need to be remade, why choose Oldboy?

According to one report, at least, this was to be a new adaptation of the manga, not a remake of the Korean film. If so, the two would presumably be quite different, since the Korean film strays considerably from the original story.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-06-17/old-boy-publisher-sues-korean-studio-over-u.s-film-rights
"However, later that same month, Smith told the Film School Rejects website that Spielberg's team was adapting the original Old Boy manga, and not remaking Park's film version. "
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

the Thing is not a remake it is a more faithful adaptation of the original source material.

and yes it is great.

still not excited, Spielberg and Smith, have not made a good film in years, successful yes, but good? no.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:24 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Pete577 wrote:

According to one report, at least, this was to be a new adaptation of the manga, not a remake of the Korean film. If so, the two would presumably be quite different, since the Korean film strays considerably from the original story.

So if it's a new adaptation, why license the rights from the Korean movie's producers?
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:
Pete577 wrote:

So if it's a new adaptation, why license the rights from the Korean movie's producers?

No idea. Ask Spielberg.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1