• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Anime Sales Drop Only 2% in Q1 2009 vs. Q1 2008

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
well with very little of store carrying anime any more I wounder why anime is doomed in the US. The only place to get it any more is online but just get one dvd is really cost active.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
As the wellknown Mensa candidate, Barbie, has been quoted as saying, "Math is hard." Again, I'd love to know the untold story behind what I think for most people is an unexpectedly small decline in NA anime DVD sales. Given the sucky economic climate, why wasn't there a deeper drop?

Anyone have any juicy theories?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
I've been buying less anime myself, but only because the shows I want to see, especially Minami-ke, Kannagi, the Ichigo Mashimaro OVA's, Kemeko Deluxe, and K-On!, haven't been getting licensed (at least not yet... I think two of the shows I listed are imminent).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
About the market being ranged to younger kids

I fit the teen age range and I still buy at least 2 anime box sets a year and at least 10 volumes of manga a year.

You have to understand I rarely get money and I still have a year to go before I can get a job. So please don't say younger fans don't have money to buy things.

I hate to argue this, but haven't you just shown that younger fans don't necessarily have large buying power? If they're too young to work and don't receive much money from gifts or allowances or whatever, then younger fans don't have money to buy things. They might wish they did, and will probably use it once they do, but if they don't have money to buy things, then that is simply how it is. That said, it's great that you're willing to buy what you can. Cool
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
That aside, the news that FUNi has 40% market share isn't surprising.

All things considered, I would've thought it was larger.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Given the sucky economic climate, why wasn't there a deeper drop?

bayoab had a pretty accurate point, in that the context of which the numbers were derived will have a huge impact on percentages.

For example, will 1% encompass the sales from Central Park Media next year? Should they even be included?

From 2008-2009, though, a 2% change is rather nice to see, but without a foundation of where those sales were generated, it's really hard to take them as "fact".

Also, Blood-, historic data shows in economic recessions, consumers buy more entertainment than in "high times" (explains how Transformers 2 blew away its original in box office opening).

Hell, how else can the escape the reality known as life?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I'm totally familiar with the concept of how people turn to entertainment in hard economic times. I'm just surprised that a niche product like anime may be benefitting from that phenomena. Keep in mind that non-anime DVD sales dropped 14% during the same time period that anime DVD sales only dropped 2%. Why aren't non-anime DVDs getting a "people escaping from reality" bounce?
ScrappedAeon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the Best Buy anime sale had anything to do with this. Considering I spent like $300...

Though even if that has nothing to do with it this is still pretty good news.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is pretty good news to hear! Very Happy Though I also see merit in the idea that physical formats may eventually go the way of the dodo as digital distribution and online streaming start to take over the market (easily accessible + inexpensive/free = win Wink ).
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
ninjapet wrote:
About the market being ranged to younger kids

I fit the teen age range and I still buy at least 2 anime box sets a year and at least 10 volumes of manga a year.

You have to understand I rarely get money and I still have a year to go before I can get a job. So please don't say younger fans don't have money to buy things.

I hate to argue this, but haven't you just shown that younger fans don't necessarily have large buying power? If they're too young to work and don't receive much money from gifts or allowances or whatever, then younger fans don't have money to buy things. They might wish they did, and will probably use it once they do, but if they don't have money to buy things, then that is simply how it is. That said, it's great that you're willing to buy what you can. Cool

Most of the dvds I bought where from a sale the bestbuy near my house was having. Sadly they where on the list of stores not getting any new anime that wasn't Naruto or Bleach

So I bought The Negima animes while they where half off, I think in total I paid about $100 for the two 26 ep animes and the 2 OVAs

but in truth this is a costly hobby and with a lack of income (or very little at that) I only buy if I can find a store putting it on sale because there going to stop carrying it
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Why aren't non-anime DVDs getting a "people escaping from reality" bounce?

My opinion: this is because the industry isn't reporting real sales numbers while fighting "piracy", probably for good reason. They'd show the "lost" sales numbers aren't as large as they want us to believe.
A recent report on the piracy of Canadians was proven to be false due to, ready... plagiarism! Heh, how irony turns its beautiful face.

The only source I could find was in relation to Blu-ray, comparing the 4% loss of Blu-ray compared to standard def DVDs of similar titles. Then the article went on to say how Blu-ray blows and people aren't buying into it due to the cost.

I'll bet a box of donuts the movie industry "loss" is also right around 2-3% this year.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Considering the fact that I've bought three box sets and 6 individual volumes that were new and not used this year, I'd say I helped at little bit, considering the total cost is in triple digits.

Last edited by mglittlerobin on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
So am I safe in saying that anime sales have stabilized pretty much, even with our crappy economy? If so, I'd say that's pretty badass. And I'm about to make a pretty huge purchase soon too, so I get to do my part for the current quarter. Yay!
joystick1101

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
OK I'm in no way surprised Funi has 40% but now I'm curious to how much everyone else has.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh, I'm totally familiar with the concept of how people turn to entertainment in hard economic times. I'm just surprised that a niche product like anime may be benefitting from that phenomena. Keep in mind that non-anime DVD sales dropped 14% during the same time period that anime DVD sales only dropped 2%. Why aren't non-anime DVDs getting a "people escaping from reality" bounce?

Maybe the increase in releases in box sets that are more affordable??
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4