• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

It frustrates me that on a forum where boobs can inspire eleven billion pages of moral outrage, something that seems a lot more clearly wrong on the same general grounds is getting strangely marginal traction and was hardly mentioned in the previews. I'm not asking for an army of activists out in high dudgeon, but some show of conviction and better counter-arguments than so many words saying, "pffffft," would be nice.

It certainly doesn't surprise me at all.

Raging against fanservice and boobs is easy, and doesn't require any particular self examination.

Rape culture? Thats hard.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
ugh, I really doubt that there is such a cultural level to the understanding of My Little Monster. Obviously the context is apparent to foreign readers, but some may chose to condemn it nevertheless.
Some girls just like these kind of stories, as Rebecca said already, there are plenty of similar books in the US as well.

btw, that scene isn't really a joke. It's more "bad boy fanservice".
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Surreder Artist, for saying what I was thinking more elequently than I could.

Surrender Artist wrote:
To me, it suggests something potentially very worrisome about Japanese culture.

I don't think it something particular about Japanese culture; as others have pointed out, this sort of rape-as-a-joke is prevalent in Western culture (and probably cultures across the globe). What is more telling is the reaction to it.

I think there are three levels of discourse going on and being condensed into one.

First is that particular line and Haru's overall behavior specific to this show. It really is a minor line and just one of many examples of his inability to interact well with a girl. Would he really hurt her? I don't think so, but if he did I don't think it would be intentional. That wouldn't make it okay, I hasten to add.

Second is the greater cross-cultural discussion about (and largely denial of) rape culture. Is this attempt at--what? humor?--a molehill? Yes. But it just one more molehill on a mountain of molehills. Each time this comes up it makes it a little harder to convince storytellers not to do it.

Third is the denial of what might be considered offensive. We all have the right to offended or not offended as our hearts and minds dictate, but a lot of times when someone puts forward feeling offended by something many voices leap forward both in defense of the thing and in attacks against the person who spoke up. If we can at least respect a person's feelings and not jump to refute that person the Internet would be a much friendlier place. I was not offended by the line emotionally, but I can understand why Fencedude or others might be, and I fully respect that.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

It frustrates me that on a forum where boobs can inspire eleven billion pages of moral outrage, something that seems a lot more clearly wrong on the same general grounds is getting strangely marginal traction and was hardly mentioned in the previews. I'm not asking for an army of activists out in high dudgeon, but some show of conviction and better counter-arguments than so many words saying, "pffffft," would be nice.

It certainly doesn't surprise me at all.

Raging against fanservice and boobs is easy, and doesn't require any particular self examination.

Rape culture? Thats hard.

As if some throwaway line is somehow promoting "rape" culture. Again mountain out of a molehill.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
irishninja sums it up nicely.

irishninja wrote:
But it just one more molehill on a mountain of molehills. Each time this comes up it makes it a little harder to convince storytellers not to do it.

What convinces storytellers not to not do it are the sales. These books, mangas or novels, sell like hotcakes. Many of the shojo bestsellers are much worse than My Little Monster in terms of unhealthy relationship portrayal. A lot of girls do want to read these stories, as incomprehensible as that may be.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

Going to quote my response to it from page 6:
GokuMew2 wrote:
I asked my [Japanese] co-worker about it and she immediately knew I was talking about Tonari no Kaibutsu kun. Her explanation is that Haru really did mean "rape" literally, but that's because he doesn't know how to interact with people and a lot of knowledge that he has is mistaken, as I think we've already seen from just the first episode. So while Haru meant it literally, I don't think it means that he was really doing to rape Shizuku. ...Does that make sense??

This is similar as to how I see Haru from the first episode. It is pretty obvious to the viewer that Haru has either a very warped mind or he just doesn't know how to deal with people at all. IMO I think the latter is more likely than the former.

I'm not going to get into the rape thing since I didn't see the big deal about it plus it is beating a dead horse at this point.

Lets look at when spoiler[his "friends" want to borrow cash and he just gives it to them without even asking what they need it for.] I wouldn't just give friends money unless I knew what they were going to use it for and that they would pay me back for it. So of course Shizuku has to call him out about this and how does he react? spoiler[Dumps the soda on her head.]

So to me Haru just doesn't know how to deal with people and his actions so far show this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
irishninja sums it up nicely.

irishninja wrote:
But it just one more molehill on a mountain of molehills. Each time this comes up it makes it a little harder to convince storytellers not to do it.

What convinces storytellers not to not do it are the sales. These books, mangas or novels, sell like hotcakes. Many of the shojo bestsellers are much worse than My Little Monster in terms of unhealthy relationship portrayal. A lot of girls do want to read these stories, as incomprehensible as that may be.

I think it's unfair of us to place all the hate on one show for a throwaway line. I do agree that a lot of fiction targeted at female readers/watchers portrays an unhealthy relationships, but I don't think that's the case for My Little Monster.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I'm getting a mixed impression of From the New World, which is more or less what I expected. Despite a sort of coolly brooding feel, but what the feel surrounds isn't quite alluring; nothing about 'school for psychics' quite lights my fire. It sounds a little enticing, but without anything to really guarantee that the enticement will pay off. If I had less trouble 'dropping' things, I'd probably dive right in. I'll probably watch it anyway, but not without some ritual equivocation first.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Did I mention that faggot balls are a popular delicacy in Wales as well? I've had them. They're quite tasty. Taste like pork. Faggots and mash cooked til they're piping hot. Mmmmmmm I could sink my teeth into a pair and mash right now.

Christ, thats disgustingly offensive that you think this is at all relevant.

But you have to admit it's pretty damn funny.

I certainly do not, because it wasn't. I have a pretty dark, black-hearted sense of humor too, but that doesn't exempt me from having some sense of conscience about what I find so damned amusing. Mohawk52's approach ended up as distressingly juvenile and crass. It's not necessary to accept the specific criticism to treat the subject with some decency and as though they come from a sincere, worthwhile place about a serious subject.

Jokes about rape are treacherous ground; some people are absolutists, but others think that they can be accepted if handled with care. I didn't laugh at Mohawk52's replies because they resorted to trying to dismiss the criticisms and trivialize the subject and when confronted, he doubled down with a witless sideswipe at homosexuals playing on some dialectal differences that I stopped finding amusing some time around the age of fourteen. I've laughed at some rape jokes (Examples courtesy of Louis CK and by George Carlin) and I'm a touch ambivalent, but when comedy is dark rather than joyful, it has to pick its targets and how is strikes them carefully, otherwise it ends up somewhere closer to baffling at best or hateful at worst.

It's not as though it's impossible to respond to the criticisms with a modicum of decency; one of the people whom Fencedude cited endorsed the tone and civility of this reply.

GokuMew2 wrote:
While it may be surprising to hear the line for foreigners, for Japanese people they understand the context of it so it doesn't cause as much brow raising.

To me, it suggests something potentially very worrisome about Japanese culture.

Hmm I see your point and it's well taken.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

As if some throwaway line is somehow promoting "rape" culture. Again mountain out of a molehill.

NO!

The line isn't the issue. The line is just a catalyst, its what made everything else visible.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
animehermit wrote:

NO!

The line isn't the issue. The line is just a catalyst, its what made everything else visible.

And what everything else is that?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

*points at the article he posted*

That.

I even made this same point in its comments.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
animehermit wrote:

*points at the article he posted*

That.

I even made this same point in its comments.

*Points to the criticism of said blog post.*
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

Ok, and? The author of that post even directs you to another post that makes much the same point.

The fact that there is criticism of a point does not render the point invalid, it means there are multiple points of view on the subject.

I don't agree with the rebuttal post (obviously), and I'm not interested in regurgitating points that have already been made by a better writer than I.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
hehe, the article sounds exactly like lots of Twilight reviews xD
I mostly have the same reactions to these shows, which is why I don't read / watch them if I can avoid it. My Little Monster is still tame in comparison though.

asimpson2006 wrote:
spoiler[Dumps the soda on her head.]

That scene actually annoyed me much more than the rape threat. Overall I just really want to send Haru to the psychologist.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
animehermit wrote:

Ok, and? The author of that post even directs you to another post that makes much the same point.

The fact that there is criticism of a point does not render the point invalid, it means there are multiple points of view on the subject.

I don't agree with the rebuttal post (obviously), and I'm not interested in regurgitating points that have already been made by a better writer than I.

I think your problem is that the blog writer isn't particularly talented at analysis.
This is a much better article on the subject:
http://moesucks.com/2012/10/02/beating-a-dead-horse-another-look-at-the-tonari-no-kaibutsu-kun-problem/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 55