• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Ya It actually reminded me of a better executed version of higurashi's first episode. though we don't really know the characters yet, and if it goes any faster We'll have to watch every episode twice just to know what the heck just happened.

Yeah, it's got so many elements to it. It's a Horror and a Mystery, and all the kids have telekinetic abilities mixed in with more traditional magic. Add in the frequent flashbacks and it is hard to know what the show is trying to accomplish right now, let alone where it will be going.

Oh it's going the same direction as higruashi only on mod stabilizers and minus the time loop and the art style I think. the disaperences seem to be the big deal though.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm sensing a sort of gender-flipped Nodame Cantabile vibe from My Little Monster with the perfectionist having a eccentric spoiler[genius] constantly bugging her. Granted, the show beyond the character dynamics doesn't have much as of yet, but the banter so far is great. I'll definitely give it the 3 episode test at least.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm sensing a sort of gender-flipped Nodame Cantabile vibe from My Little Monster with the perfectionist having a eccentric spoiler[genius] constantly bugging her. Granted, the show beyond the character dynamics doesn't have much as of yet, but the banter so far is great. I'll definitely give it the 3 episode test at least.

don't forget the stream test Very Happy
I agree with the karekano + Kodocha = my little monster comment
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
*Puts on a hard hat for good measure*

I think I'm ready.

Shall I start by getting the obvious ones out of the way?

I can't wait for Zac to review XXXbooblolibaitshow#999!

Will Zac be reviewing CanIBoneMyImouto-chan?

Reminder #6232: Typically Zac only reviews things that either the rest of us haven't gotten to yet or that really catch his attention.

Well I look forward to his prieviews for the pet show and the incest show with extreme anticipation. Please don't spoil the fun! Razz
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode of From the New World, I give this episode a 3 out of 5, it's got some nice concepts but it's got the typical Japanese storytelling trope where they drop everything in your lap without explaining a thing. These shows could really benefit from an audience POV character.

The character designs are incredibly dull, but the scenery and animation seem to be ok. Music was a standout, very atmospheric.

I'll be giving this at least 2 more episodes to try and wow me before I make a final decision as to whether or not I'll keep watching.

EDIT: next is My Little Monster.

Last edited by Animehermit on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I wonder how many new seasons of anime I've skipped up to this point now. I feel so left out.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I can't wait to hear what the previewers think about From the New World. I just watched the first episode and it sure is unusual.

I agree, I think it shows a lot of promise! Also, it was far better than my initial reaction to Horizon, which some people are trying to compare it to.
animehermit wrote:
Just watched the first episode of From the New World, I give this episode a 3 out of 5, it's got some nice concepts but it's got the typical Japanese storytelling trope where they drop everything in your lap without explaining a thing. These shows could really benefit from an audience POV character.

Is it really? I think it would be far worse if it were some long-winded exposition or info-dump.

Last edited by dragon695 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
I agree, I think it shows a lot of promise! Also, it was far better than my initial reaction to Horizon, which some people are trying to compare it to.

Some people are comparing From the New World to a crappy fanservice-fest like Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere? What kind of [insult removed] would do that?
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

Some people are comparing From the New World to a crappy fanservice-fest like Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere? What kind of moron would do that?

I believe it was in the spotlight thread, maybe? It was something about how you really can't enjoy From the New World if you didn't like Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere because the setup and execution are very similar. Then some nonsense about how Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere was the ideal LN authors should aspire to or something like that.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

animehermit wrote:

Is it really? I think it would be far worse if it were some long-winded exposition or info-dump.

There are other ways of doing it, it doesn't need be a long winded info dump, but gradually introduce the concepts over a period of episodes, rather than just dumping the story and having the audience spend multiple episodes trying to figure out what's going on.

A good example of this type of storytelling done right, that most people know(at least in this forum) is Final Fantasy X. Tidus was the audience POV character, he knew nothing about the world he was in, and asked constand questions about things, and from those conversations we learn about his world and his character.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Just saw My Little Monster. Wow what a surprise this turn out to be, definately a 4 out of 5, very funny, quirky dramedy. Reminds me in a VERY good way of School Rumble. The pacing was super tight as well, it doesn't beat around the bush and it quickly establishes who these characters are.

Last edited by Animehermit on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
My Little Monster, My Little Monster,
Ah ah ah AH
My Little Monster!
I used to wonder what shoujo could be
My Little Monster!
Til you two shared it's madness with me

Batting Cages
Studying
Manic Depression
Domestic Abuse
Stripping Naked
It's an easy feat!
And chickens make it all complete!

My Little Monster!
Finish this for me, cause I ran out of words!
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

animehermit wrote:

There are other ways of doing it, it doesn't need be a long winded info dump, but gradually introduce the concepts over a period of episodes, rather than just dumping the story and having the audience spend multiple episodes trying to figure out what's going on.

A good example of this type of storytelling done right, that most people know(at least in this forum) is Final Fantasy X. Tidus was the audience POV character, he knew nothing about the world he was in, and asked constand questions about things, and from those conversations we learn about his world and his character.

ya that's easy when your main chatterer is dragged to an alternate universe.
From the new world doesn't do an info drop, but I kinda wish it had almost, or atleast slows down soon.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

ya that's easy when your main chatterer is dragged to an alternate universe.
From the new world doesn't do an info drop, but I kinda wish it had almost, or at least slows down soon.

It doesn't always have to be of a similar nature, you can have a character who has occupied the same universe but has been oblivious to the greater picture. Star Wars, the original trilogy is a good example of this, Luke is apart of the universe, he just doesn't know anything about what's happening around him.

And I agree with the second part, I think we need some info dumping, or at the very least some kind of exposition.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
So, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

It was...ok? I laughed, I groaned at some of the more stupid shoujo cliches, but it wasn't bad.

I think the "Rape" bit was sorta an issue, it flies out and smacks you right between the eyes, pulling you out of the scene (and right before one of the better sight gags too!) unnecessarily.

Other than that, and it just being incredibly standard, it wasn't bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 55