Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 8018

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Little Busters! is a trifle, for sure. It just happens to function as a pretty good one. Having not played the game I have no idea if this thing just sinks into total cliche, but for now, it's got some promise as a fun little comedy show. Not bad.


Key is shorthand for "all of the characters have tragic backstories, one or more of them likely isn't human, and maybe a few of them die over the course of the story." That's not even a spoiler, that's all of Key, I haven't played Little Busters whatsoever. We know what we're getting into. You can easily make some sort of crying and drinking game out of the anime adaptations, but that might not be the healthiest or wisest choice. I'd say that's basically zero reason to even critique the intro episodes, you'll undoubtedly have tonal shifts into the more somber and serious that only make the carefree and naive beginning episodes stand out more. At least I hope, what's the point of a Key anime unless it's full of completely poignant melodrama later on? It's what they do!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
getchman
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 6634
Location: Cheshire, CT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
i may be wrong, but wasn't Kyosuke the only one about the graduate and the other four a year younger than him? no surprise you don't like Oniai, but since the only thing we know for certain is that Akito absolutely refuses to get intimate with his sister, can't really blame ya.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Tanteikingdomkey



Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 1490

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Although it seems to be petering out anyway, let's officially drop the "teen sexuality" discussion unless it specifically relates to one of the characters in one of the new series this season. Anything else will be considered off-topic.

Merida wrote:
maaya wrote:

You should enjoy Say "I Love You" as well, then. So many shojos this season ... and all pretty similar


While My Little Monster seems to have a bit of originality at least, this one looks awfully clichéd with the 'most popular boy falls for the girl nobody else likes' plot...that worked for Kimi ni Todoke but i don't see it working here, especially as the characters don't seem half as likeable.

This one may surprise you. I highly recommend it and think it is, by far, the superior of the two shows this season with that theme - and yes, that's despite it being less original. It will be my highest-rated preview of the season to date when Zac gets around to doing his next update.

That no one's been talking about Say, "I Love You" suggests to me that few people are checking out. That's a mistake.

First I would like to say I am rather offened that someone would confuse hadena with a sub group. Hadena is what is called a troll, because their "releases" have about as many correct "translations" as flat out wrong translations. and even when they steal an offical translation the only thing they "fix" is correct translations and editing and add mistakes. If ANYONE in the ANN staff used their work as a basics for their review I would highly encourage them to rewatch the episode with an actual translation and then if needed re-do their review.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mad_Scientist



Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 2335

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I think you completely misunderstood the premise of Ixion Saga ikillchicken. Or maybe I did. But as I understand things, it's not in a game. The only parts that were in a game were the part at the start, and the part where we saw Kon chatting with the unknown girl's avatar.

After Kon gets sucked into... wherever he gets sucked into, it's not a game. If it was the game he was playing, he'd recognize names and stuff. So it seems it's an alternate dimension or whatever. Everyone in that world is real, there are no avatars or npcs or player characters, just real people in a real world. So a lot of your complaints are answered now.

I'm not sure why someone with magic or whatever capable of pulling people through dimensions decided to grab a game player and fling him onto the scene to save the princess, but I assume it will be explained later.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5085

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Err...I think someone has a macro set up and it did something funny to Rebecca's Ixion review.

...pfffft
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ikillchicken
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7029
Location: Vancouver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I think you completely misunderstood the premise of Ixion Saga ikillchicken. Or maybe I did. But as I understand things, it's not in a game. The only parts that were in a game were the part at the start, and the part where we saw Kon chatting with the unknown girl's avatar.


Curious. I naturally assumed because we saw him running around in the fantasy game world initially that the subsequent scenes which were set in an identical fantasy world were also part of the game. I guess its possible they weren't though. Huh.

I'm not actually sure this makes much more sense though. It really just highlights how bizarrely it was handled. One minute he's playing his game. The next he comes falling out of the sky. And nobody. himself included, seems all that surprised by this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
underlock



Joined: 08 Apr 2011
Posts: 247

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Turns out I really liked Nagi. I know it's the same old crap about saving people, but this one actually moves fairly fast. The protagonist's wish wasn't much of a mystery though. Because whenever people are offered anything at all,spoiler[ friendship] is what they pick! Of course though, I think I'd rather pick my own universe without most of our laws of physics, where I, of course, would be God. Emphasis on the capital g. Perhaps that's not within the genie's capabilities, but I'd try anyway.

Last edited by underlock on Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 11910
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
First I would like to say I am rather offened that someone would confuse hadena with a sub group. Hadena is what is called a troll, because thein "releases" have about as many correct "translations" as flat out wrong translations. and even when they steal an offical translation the only thing they "fix" is correct translations and editing and add mistakes. If ANYONE in the ANN staff used their work as a basics for their review I would highly encourage them to rewatch the episode with an actual translation and then if needed re-do their review.

So are you trying to imply, then, that the reason I'm rating it so favorably is because I used what you regard as an incompetent fansub? I've seen plenty of badly-done ones before, and this one was not badly-done. (Mind you, I can't speak for the accuracy of the translation, but I found all of the wording to be quite reasonable for the scenes and situations.)

I have no inclination to reconsider my grade on it, either. I saw something special there, despite the generic content, and if others don't - well, it wouldn't be the first time I've ended up having a stronger positive opinion of something than the general consensus. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maaya



Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 976

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
While My Little Monster seems to have a bit of originality at least, this one looks awfully clichéd with the 'most popular boy falls for the girl nobody else likes' plot


My Little Monster and Say "I Love You" are both very cliched. And their heroines are almost the same person Anime hyper (though Shizuku seems more "born this way", instead of "turned out this way because of trauma" like Mei.) The difference being that My Little Monster has more comedy and the "bad boy-boyfriend" instead of "most popular guy-boyfriend" trope, while Say "I Love You" is more serious and straightforward so far. So it depends which take on the subject you prefer, but again, these shows are so similar, if you like one, chances are good you'll at least enjoy the other as well.

Quote:
Well, the guys get plenty of harem shows every season, so why shouldn't the girls get a bit of wish-fulfillment as well if that's what floats their boat...


yea no, I mean these kind of misunderstood outsider heroines seem to be what japanese girls identify with the most right now. I wish they'd animate Devil and Her Love Song though. It's the same premise but somehow felt much more real and original to me (and Maria imho is a more individual character than Shizuku and Mei and Sawako together). Actually, for me it was exactly what Rebecca calls "new enough to revive your interest in something you've read /seen a million times before". But I'm going to give those other two a few more volumes to develop some substance.


Last edited by maaya on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mad_Scientist



Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 2335

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I think you completely misunderstood the premise of Ixion Saga ikillchicken. Or maybe I did. But as I understand things, it's not in a game. The only parts that were in a game were the part at the start, and the part where we saw Kon chatting with the unknown girl's avatar.


Curious. I naturally assumed because we saw him running around in the fantasy game world initially that the subsequent scenes which were set in an identical fantasy world were also part of the game. I guess its possible they weren't though. Huh.

I'm not actually sure this makes much more sense though. It really just highlights how bizarrely it was handled. One minute he's playing his game. The next he comes falling out of the sky. And nobody. himself included, seems all that surprised by this.


Rebecca Silverman also seemed to think he was inside an MMO, but I'm fairly certain I'm right. Not only did he not recognize the names of the countries or famous people, he also didn't recognize the term for what that guy did with his sword at the end. I suppose it's always possible he is in a game, just a different one from what he was playing and one he's not familiar with, but that seems unlikely.

Also, people, himself included, did question what happened. I think that the tone of this show is just pretty lighthearted and silly, so characters are going to go with the flow or "comically" overreact rather than spend a bunch of time in deep thought. The amount of surprise the characters showed over what happened seemed fitting to me, given the tone of the series. (If they had completely ignored the oddity of the situation, that would have been one thing, but they didn't.)

As for him getting sucked into a fantasy world not making much more sense... well, who knows what the reason why that happened is yet. This can't be the old "gamer is taken because of his gaming skills" thing given that his ability in the MMO would not at all translate to this setting, and well, he didn't seem that great in the MMO in the first place. But I'm sure the reason will be explained (spoiler[we saw the person responsible for him appearing there at the very end of the episode]), and will probably be something silly.

But I will acknowledge that the could have been handled so that things were more clear at least.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4249

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but combined with what sounds like the background music from the game (please correct me if I'm wrong; that's just my impression given the quality and tunes),


Why do all the reviewers here have this bizarre notion that video game music isn't as good as "real music", whatever the hell that is.

VGM tends to be a LOT better than "real" music. I'd bet that half of my Ipod's 1,236 songs are VG music for that reason. Hell, I'm listening to some Sonic Adventure 2 music right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ikillchicken
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7029
Location: Vancouver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I think that the tone of this show is just pretty lighthearted and silly, so characters are going to go with the flow or "comically" overreact rather than spend a bunch of time in deep thought. The amount of surprise the characters showed over what happened seemed fitting to me, given the tone of the series. (If they had completely ignored the oddity of the situation, that would have been one thing, but they didn't.)


I disagree. As I said earlier, part of the problem here is that the show seems like it wants to be a parody but it just isn't willing to take that final step and be a parody. There's not enough humour here to carry the show on its own and it seems like they're afraid to just completely give up on being at all serious. If they did...eh, maybe this could be better (although I can't say the humour really did anything for me either). As it is though, it just doesn't work in any capacity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5085

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Sukinayo: Better than Tonari and Kamisama.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tanteikingdomkey



Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 1490

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
First I would like to say I am rather offened that someone would confuse hadena with a sub group. Hadena is what is called a troll, because thein "releases" have about as many correct "translations" as flat out wrong translations. and even when they steal an offical translation the only thing they "fix" is correct translations and editing and add mistakes. If ANYONE in the ANN staff used their work as a basics for their review I would highly encourage them to rewatch the episode with an actual translation and then if needed re-do their review.

So are you trying to imply, then, that the reason I'm rating it so favorably is because I used what you regard as an incompetent fansub? I've seen plenty of badly-done ones before, and this one was not badly-done. (Mind you, I can't speak for the accuracy of the translation, but I found all of the wording to be quite reasonable for the scenes and situations.)

I have no inclination to reconsider my grade on it, either. I saw something special there, despite the generic content, and if others don't - well, it wouldn't be the first time I've ended up having a stronger positive opinion of something than the general consensus. Rolling Eyes

No your grade would not be lower it would actually be higher since a poor subtitle can't properly comunicate the story

The reason why hadena should be avioded is the way they create their subtitles. they have basicly zero requirments to work on their projects and have had releases with as many mistranslations as correct ones. you don't have to look hard to find a bunch of horror stories connected to them. for example brave 10 where they actually got a decent translator for the first episode, and the translator got so upset by the release and the "corrections" to it, that they said to the head of the group (who left saying he could not work with "incompatent idiots anymore") that they were leaving because they screwed up their work. the leaders response was effectively "please stay, I'll pay you $50." that's right the only guy who kept some idea of qaulity in the group (and is now gone), rather then fix the problem unsucessfully bribed the translator.

they are the bottom of the barrel in the fan created subtitle community and they generally only have people who do not know better and/or can not wait for a proper release of a series watch them. not even the streaming sites will post their releases and many download sites won't either, even if it means higher trafic. (though I sometimes wish they would all (hadeana, streaming, and download sites) would jump off a cliff together. because they are all hurting the anime community in general.) that is not to say that they can not do decent work, such as sankarea, but that these examples are a lot fewer and father between especially now that the head of the group is gone.

You owe it to the shows you like to watch them the way they were intended with qaulity subs. IB released a version a day later and actually went back and corrected it when something was wrong(something hadena does not do). I would highly recomend going with IB since the qaulity will stay constant most likely unlike hadena, and they do qaulity work in general.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Princess_Irene



Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 834
Location: The castle beyond the Goblin City

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Rebecca Silverman also seemed to think he was inside an MMO, but I'm fairly certain I'm right.


My impression was that the MMO was a real world - that the game he was playing was simulating a real place that he then got sucked into. I don't know if that makes any sense now that I've written that, of course...Smile

Chagen46 wrote:
Why do all the reviewers here have this bizarre notion that video game music isn't as good as "real music", whatever the hell that is.


I didn't say that. It just sounded like it was written for a game - to emphasize a mood that couldn't be enhanced through other means in VN, like with voices and full animation. Heck, I really like the music in some games - I've been looking for a "Secret of Monkey Island" soundtrack since I was ten. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 55

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group