• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote
What the heck has happened to the simulcasts? I seriously expected at least Little Busters, Code: Breaker, and Say I Love You to get picked up by somebody for simulcast! Maybe Funi is going to do them, with their lame delay like they have the past couple of seasons. I would think that Sentai would have already announced them if they were simulcasting them.

Anyway, it is a serious bummer! Sad I am way behind now because I was watching for things to show up at legal sites...
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
What the heck has happened to the simulcasts? I seriously expected at least Little Busters, Code: Breaker, and Say I Love You to get picked up by somebody for simulcast! Maybe Funi is going to do them, with their lame delay like they have the past couple of seasons. I would think that Sentai would have already announced them if they were simulcasting them.

Anyway, it is a serious bummer! Sad I am way behind now because I was watching for things to show up at legal sites...

Little Busters is one of those things where Warner Brothers probably asked for far too much money given its name (and that Key themselves think think they should get equal value in America as they do in Japan, which is why none of their VNs have ever been officially licensed), and nobody was willing to bite. Same with JoJo for Warner Brothers. Not sure about the others.

---
Also, just checked out Teekyou, the new anime from the Kids on the Slope studio. It sure shows what happens when you overextend your budget on a project that never had chance of making money, heh. I wonder if they'll be stuck making these 3 minute fanservice anime for a while now...
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

---
Also, just checked out Teekyou, the new anime from the Kids on the Slope studio. It sure shows what happens when you overextend your budget on a project that never had chance of making money, heh. I wonder if they'll be stuck making these 3 minute fanservice anime for a while now...

I knew it wouldn't make money, shows like that never do, nowadays which is a serious shame, but I still thank them for it.
That show is one of a kind(watching now).

On another note, just looked at Stalker and none of the shoujos this season are doing well. Just as I expected. But still....sigh, why Japan? Even though I knew it would fail, in the back of my mind, I really....I really hoped that this was the turning point for shoujo anime. But no, once again reverse harem and harem anime win.

I guess this writes off shoujo anime in then near future.....guess I'll only be watching otoge anime and bishie anime...not that I mind, but shoujos always are a special something.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Why do you take some wierd fetishistic thrill in pointing this fact out?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
On another note, just looked at Stalker and none of the shoujos this season are doing well. Just as I expected. But still....sigh, why Japan? Even though I knew it would fail, in the back of my mind, I really....I really hoped that this was the turning point for shoujo anime. But no, once again reverse harem and harem anime win.

I guess this writes off shoujo anime in then near future.....guess I'll only be watching otoge anime and bishie anime...not that I mind, but shoujos always are a special something.

They seem to be spending their money on stuff with pretty boys instead, like Gintama and K. I didn't really expect any of the shoujos to do well either, though I thought My Little Monster MIGHT be able to make the profit line, but that likey doesn't seem doable at this point unless it turns itself around.

By the way, anyone wondering what the top sellers of the season are so far... (with nearly everything solicited)

1. Little Busters
2. To Love Ru Darkness
3. Gintama 3
4. Chuunibyou
5. JoJos Bizarre Adventure
6. Hidamari Sketch 4
7. Jormungand 2
8. Shinki Busou
9. Girls und Panzer
10. K

http://www27392u.sakura.ne.jp/index_news.cgi

A few random anime like Hayate and Magi haven't been added yet, which I expect will both make top 10. Psycho-Pass and Robotic Notes too, but the don't air for a little bit.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

As you noted, Funimation is still a possibility. We shouldn't expect anything from them until NYCC.

Crunchyroll also has 3 more "?" boxes remaining on their lineup page, which means they have at least that many more simulcasts to announce.

Given that only 7 titles that have have not been licensed are yet to premiere (and 3 of those are unlikely to be simulcast), it seems very likely that one or more of those "?" boxes will either be a delayed start or latecast.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

They seem to be spending their money on stuff with pretty boys instead, like Gintama and K. I didn't really expect any of the shoujos to do well either, though I thought My Little Monster MIGHT be able to make the profit line, but that likey doesn't seem doable at this point unless it turns itself around.

Sigh, yea, seems like it. I too thought My Little Monster might do better. Sad

The only thing I can hope for is the manga sales to go up like chihahafuru. PLEASE JAPAN!!!!!! DO WHAT YOU DID FOR CHIHAYAFURU!!!!!!!!! T^T

I still want Joou no Hana to be animated. Its one heck of a shoujo.

RyanSaotome wrote:
A few random anime like Hayate and Magi haven't been added yet, which I expect will both make top 10. Psycho-Pass and Robotic Notes too, but the don't air for a little bit.

Magi was just amazing. I haven't read the manga but I always read a manga after its anime has finished airing. Magi will definitely be a good fujoshi show as well(yes, it has a big following apparently). but if it sells well....hmmm, I think it will, might even end up selling 10k hopefully.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
By the way, anyone wondering what the top sellers of the season are so far...

You really do that as a habit, don't you? Confused
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Late to the party, but the first episode of From the New World is great. It's refreshing to have kids acting just like kids. We're also given more than enough to go on for plot and setting, and exposition is integrated rather smoothly (such as the story of the Akki told in class). Really beautiful drawn, too; there's some really well-composed shots here, and the muted color palette mixed with some vibrant tones (like purple and yellow) is excellent.

Nice sound design as well, although it's a little bit too overwhelming and obvious at certain moments. Feel the same for spoiler[the moment when Saki discovers that she is not her parent's first and only child. It recovers nicely, though.]

And man, that little prologue scene is great. Really nice use of filters and sound, here. Handling the terror of a sudden spoiler[psychic massacre isn't easy, but the suddenness and otherworldliness of it really comes through.]

I kinda wish it were just a couple minutes longer so certain moments could breath a bit more to help soak in the atmosphere. As it is, though, very promising first episode. Looking forward to following this one.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Well I found Little Busters first episode to be kind of average, but Key shows have almost never hooked me in the first episode anyway which is why I usually marathon them, but I figured I'd try watching one weekly this time. It was pretty funny though so that should hopefully be enough a tideover until we get to the (presumably) more interesting material.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Well I found Little Busters first episode to be kind of average, but Key shows have almost never hooked me in the first episode anyway which is why I usually marathon them, but I figured I'd try watching one weekly this time. It was pretty funny though so that should hopefully be enough a tideover until we get to the (presumably) more interesting material.

I'd like to marathon this once it wraps up, but it seems like it'll be harder to ignore than when Clannad AS was airing. Key is much more effective when you can just burn through an entire arc in one sitting, then the compounding of several episodes builds up all at once in that emotional climax.

It's really dumb to judge these series on the first episode, like this for example:

Quote:
The company's stamp is definitely all over this latest tale of high-school friends, but as of right now it isn't a heartbreaker. It's a…comedy?

You already know it'll change, and every single other Key anime has had inviting, comedic, and light-heartened introduction episodes to get you acquainted with the cast, the setting, and the beginnings of the interactions before everything comes crashing down. Especially when everyone keeps saying the game length could easily allow for a 39 episode show, or more, there's no reason to criticize something like that yet. It took like four of five episodes of the first Clannad series before getting into the meat of the Fuko arc. Even the expedited Angel Beats didn't get into heavy stuff until more than halfway through.

Air, Kanon, Clannad, and Angel Beats all started this way, perhaps some selective memory is operating here. They're never going to jump right into someone's tragic life problems or existential crises in the first few episodes, unless that series is being handled in a awful manner. Key works are so powerful because they DON'T do that. At best, there's some foreshadowing, but everything comes out later on.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I have some major catching up to do.

Little Busters: Like Rebecca, I've never played the game. But even if I did, I thought ep. 1 was just okay; not laugh out loud hilarious but not a complete waste of time. (jeez, how many times have I seen the "petite girl kicks macho guys butt" joke?). The opening song is great though; I could listen to it for hours. I'll continue it since this is the first Key anime I've ever watched.

Wooser's Hand-to-Mouth Life: Sounds like another cute short anime I can watch along with Chi's Sweet Home and Poyopoyo.

Say "I love You": While not "original", I really like how the show plays on the drama without being" too" over the top. Mei is a great heroine (very easy to relate with) why Yamato is the typical Knight in Shining Armor. Not bad.
Theron wrote:
The production effort turned in by Studio ZEXCS makes this one of the best-looking and satisfying-sounding shoujo anime series
Yes! Very Happy
It's gorgeous and, unlike Kamisama Kiss, it doesn't look like it was made in 2005!!

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:Wow...must... continue...first episode...so... WEIRD! Anime dazed

I might check out Ixion Saga DT and Code: Breaker

Loved ep. 2 of My Little Monster, so its a keeper, while ep. 2 of From the New World is still teetering on the edge of whether or not I'll drop it.

Well I wasn't going to watch BTOOM anyway (I'm kinda tired of the "guy in a video game" plot) but this...
Carl wrote:
It clearly has no respect or sympathy for Ryota, presenting him as a one-dimensional pile of deluded selfishness.And it isn't any kinder to the rest of humanity.

...makes me want to run the heck away from it. (O_e)

Looking forward to Psycho:Pass, Magi, Pet Girl, and Robotic:Notes
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
If you guys love Jojo right now, then wait until you see Jojo fight against spoiler[Dio's zombie army using nothing but his BARE HANDS!] Wink
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Air, Kanon, Clannad, and Angel Beats all started this way, perhaps some selective memory is operating here. They're never going to jump right into someone's tragic life problems or existential crises in the first few episodes, unless that series is being handled in a awful manner. Key works are so powerful because they DON'T do that. At best, there's some foreshadowing, but everything comes out later on.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if the sad parts don't start until 10-12 episodes in. I remember a common thought as to why it took Little Busters so long to adapt was that it took too long with the slice of life comedy parts before getting to the character routes... much longer than the other Key works. The first story itself took me about 15 hours before I opened up any of the girls specific routes in the VN.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:

I guess the mainstream audience of these shojo series is more likely to pick up the mangas instead of buying the anime (you usually get more for your money and you get the complete story and it doesn't air in the middle of the night). All these series are already selling pretty well anyway.

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
it doesn't look like it was made in 2005!!

mh? animation quality hasn't improved that much (sometimes to me it looks more like it's decreasing). Or do you mean the character designs?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 55