• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Also, I'd just like to add that ANN has increased it's focus on video games some, so I imagine that they will at least try to have more Visual Novel reviews as part of that. But the issue is once again that Visual Novels are rather different from normal video games, and aren't going to appeal to the same people. (I certainly wouldn't want Dave Riley doing VN reviews for ANN for example).

I'm hoping they'll find someone, among their current staff or perhaps someone new, who's a good fit for Visual Novel reviews and who can start reviewing some of those officially released in English.

RyanSaotome wrote:

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Also, Visual Novels are really a totally different medium than anime, and thus aren't automatically going to appeal to someone, no matter how much they like anime. They are essentially, well, novels. Just like it would be silly to assume that someone who likes anime is also going to really enjoy reading regular books, it is also silly to assume that someone who likes anime is really going to enjoy Visual Novels.

The appeal is very similar... it focuses on the exact same things anime does, after all. Its like how you'll most likely enjoy manga if you like anime.

The types of stories are often very similar, but the method of telling the stories is totally different. Execution is in my mind the most important part of storytelling, sometimes taking bad ideas and making them enjoyable or good ideas and making them stupid. And good or bad, a Visual Novel is executed rather differently than an anime, and thus isn't going to appeal to some people.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
getchman wrote:
AilisKnil wrote:
I wish I had a penny for every time one of the writers on this site informed us that they have not, in fact, experienced the source material of any anime ever, whether that source material be a visual novel, or light novel, or what have you.

For a website called "Anime News Network," I'd like to see opinions a bit more varied than, "well, I haven't read the visual novel but the show is boring" from just about everyone. I understand not being able to read every single visual novel for every anime adaptation; that's like asking the average guy to read every source novel of every film he wants to go see. The only way you'd have the time for that is if you dedicated every waking moment of your life to it. But for no one here to have read something as prominent as Little Busters? Speaks volumes about certain people's dedication to this hobby and the attitude of this site as a whole.

if i could read Japanese, i'd certainly be willing to read/play the visual novel

Its been translated to English.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Also, Visual Novels are really a totally different medium than anime, and thus aren't automatically going to appeal to someone, no matter how much they like anime. They are essentially, well, novels. Just like it would be silly to assume that someone who likes anime is also going to really enjoy reading regular books, it is also silly to assume that someone who likes anime is really going to enjoy Visual Novels.

The appeal is very similar... it focuses on the exact same things anime does, after all. Its like how you'll most likely enjoy manga if you like anime.

an adaptation should not require you to read the source material period.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
I wish I had a penny for every time one of the writers on this site informed us that they have not, in fact, experienced the source material of any anime ever, whether that source material be a visual novel, or light novel, or what have you.

For a website called "Anime News Network," I'd like to see opinions a bit more varied than, "well, I haven't read the visual novel but the show is boring" from just about everyone. I understand not being able to read every single visual novel for every anime adaptation; that's like asking the average guy to read every source novel of every film he wants to go see. The only way you'd have the time for that is if you dedicated every waking moment of your life to it. But for no one here to have read something as prominent as Little Busters? Speaks volumes about certain people's dedication to this hobby and the attitude of this site as a whole.

ANN's staff is busy. They have a whole damn website to run, and VNs take FOREVER to finish. Combine that with the difficultly of getting them legally, plus the fact that not everyone's privy to VNs, and I can't see why you're complaining.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

fan translation or licensed and translated by a visual novel distributor?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Fan translation, since big name VNs are far too expensive for current VN companies to license.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
getchman wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Fan translation, since big name VNs are far too expensive for current VN companies to license.

gonna pass then. the few that i have played i have bought and i feel that's the right thing to do
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
It's perfectly possible to buy the game and apply the patch to it...that's what I plan to do, anyway.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
true, but $115 is a little too much right now, though i haven't checked amazon. regardless, i currently don't have the time to spend on the game right now

Last edited by getchman on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
true, but $115 is a little too much right now

Same for me...I don't have a job and there's no way I could squeeze that money out of my parents. But I hope I can get it one day.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

There are also the PS2, PSP and Vita options, if you really want to buy it. They are each like 60 bucks... Then you can download the PC version and play it translated that way.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
i dont have any of those
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
getchman wrote:

There are also the PS2, PSP and Vita options, if you really want to buy it. They are each like 60 bucks... Then you can download the PC version and play it translated that way.

You know, I wish translation patches could be applied to Vita games. I'd love to play LB! on the go.

But...I want to see the H-scenes in Ecstasy, for god knows what reason...>_>

(I feel like I haven't seen the whole thing if I don't get through those parts)
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
i see nothing wrong with that
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
getchman wrote:

You can find many popular VN for really cheap for the PC version (the version that actually got the translation). The first umineko novel is about $11 on amazon.co.jp and clannad, chaos head, and other popular visual novels. if you are creative you can get it cheaply.

That said if you own a copy of said title you should be able to do whatever you want to it, since it is your personal copy.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

I imagine it's just that no one got to it before it was pulled from The Anime Network's site. ANN will use fansubs, but not once a license has been announced, even if the license ends up in a weird limbo like this. A similar thing happened with Oriemo when it was leaked and pulled.

Chunibyo wasn't "pulled" from the TAN site, as none of the entries were put on the TAN site yet.
TLR Darkness was pulled.

However, seeing as how Chunibyo was a TBS license as well, it's almost certianly held up due to the TLR issue, along with the other 2 TBS licenses (Hidamari & Busou Shinki).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 40 of 55