• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
You know,I've read the reviews of "Gyrozetter" and this show reminded me of something. Another show that had something similar to this. This reminded me of "M.A.S.K.,"an action-adventure show from the 1980's. It had cars that transformed into planes,boats,and other things like that.
According to what I've read,one of the show's inspiration's was "Transformers." The show also had someone that you guys might have heard of,Shinji Aramaki. He was the mechanical director on "M.A.S.K." He'd later do other things like "Viper's Creed." I think that one of "Gyrozetter's" inspirations could have been "M.A.S.K." It could be possible. The show could have reached Japan. Also,the show had a number of Japanese animators working on it so one of them might have remember his time on "M.A.S.K." and might have decided to do a similar show here. What do you guys think about that?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

According to what I've read,one of the show's inspiration's was "Transformers." The show also had someone that you guys might have heard of,Shinji Aramaki. He was the mechanical director on "M.A.S.K." He'd later do other things like "Viper's Creed." I think that one of "Gyrozetter's" inspirations could have been "M.A.S.K." It could be possible. The show could have reached Japan. Also,the show had a number of Japanese animators working on it so one of them might have remember his time on "M.A.S.K." and might have decided to do a similar show here. What do you guys think about that?

One of the directors (I think) who worked on the Braves franchise is actually involved with Gyrozetter. Brave was sort of a replacement for Transformers during the 90s until it was revived by Beast Wars. (Most of the early designs for character in some of the more early Brave shows were actually unused designs apparently. Not to mention, they were a few palette swaps here and there.)

I honestly think it feels like a Brave show. That's awesome because I doubt we'll ever get another one (either due to the fact Transformers is 'popular' again and the whole Sunrise/Bandai vs Takara-Tomy rivalry nowadays.)
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, a scorecard of first impressions...
Gold stars for most promising!

AIKATSU!: Not even bothering. Thanks ANN reviewers, you confirmed what this show is likely to be.

Bakuman 3: Continue? Yes, please

Blast of Tempest: Plot descriptions, viewer response, and the fact that its an an adaptation of an unfinished work all point to this being an absolute mess of a series that will have no conclusion. So I'm not even giving a try unless it gets to the end and gets really significant praise.

Busou Shinki: Watched the first episode and some of the second an my reaction is that it's just a bunch of bland. I'm getting nothing from it.

Chō Soku Henkei Gyrozetter
: I repeat- Not even bothering. Thanks ANN reviewers, you confirmed what this show is likely to be.

Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai!: Looking good. Rikka is no Mikoto Urabe (Mysterious Girlfriend X), but I do love a story about the strange girl and the guy who has to deal with her. And such a set up can definitely be much worse (See: Pet Girl). Good characters so far, fun "fantasy" segments mixed in with views of the reality of the situation. The second episode was better than the first when it introduced or better clarified its characters- so it promises to get even better.

Code:Breaker: Stopped a minute in. I can't take "cool" characters this season, it all comes off as fake to me.

From the New World: I didn't watch the first episode of this until I saw the reviews. I thought it might be another dense and messed up plot but it seems to be intriguing, and it's source material is apparently complete- so it'll actually have an ending!

Girls und Panzer: I can see no superlative qualities to it, but it seems to me that it could be much worse. I do think the premise is a stupid ploy to once again attract that weird connect of moe anime and military otaku, but if I am a pretty susceptible to the wiles of cute girls bonding over club activities. So, though it undoubtedly won't even catch the modest level of a show like Sound of the Sky, I might be easily tolerable.

Hayate the Combat Butler: Can't Take My Eyes Off You: I'd prefer a straight continuation and a more consistent tone to the previous two series (Norio, oh Norio, wherefore art thou, Norio?) but I like how this promises to be a nicely self contained side-story and it's an easy commitment for me.

Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb: They keep making 'em, I'll keep watching them. Some of the nicest and cutest of the girls doing jack-crap stories melded with that fantastic Shaft design element. Love it.

Ixion Saga DT: Another I only bothered to watch because of the reviews. I may not care much for RPG and sword and sorcery type stories, but this is demonstrating some solid comedy

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: This got a "Yuck" reaction from me. It's got that old-school "cool" feeling to me that is no better in my book than the current coolness. Don't like a single character, don't like the way it seemed to be going, really don't like the spoilers I've read. Dropped like bad fruit.

Jormungand Perfect Order : I was a bit uncomfortable with this show in the first season, after the spate of recent random public shooting in the US, I just find the prospect of trying to enjoy this show impossible.

K: Too cool for me.

Little Busters! : Not much new here, more like a classic recipe with a slight twist. I'm in for the ride.

Magi: meh, not sure I'm up for it. But that's what I said about HunterXHunter, and I'm still watching that.

Medaka Box Abnormal : If it weren't Nisiosin and I thought I could take this at face value, it wouldn't stand much of a chance. But I am very intrigued by the motives and rationale used in the show.

My Pet Monster: This seems to be very solid and fun shojo rom-com. Good characters, promising set-up, characters show their emotions nicely.

ONIAI: It's a good and bad thing that this show can't quite be described as this season's KissXSis. Uglier characters, but a slight bit more substance. It might be tolerable.

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou: After the second episode the girl still seems more mentally challenged than endearingly eccentric so I'm still not committed. It is getting to the point where nit-picky details seem major to me- which is not a good thing. Like, how does a girl who exhibits no interest in caring for herself constantly look made-up like a model? Skinny, flawless skin, long and shimmering blonde hair with no hint of tangles? If a "beautiful person" doesn't take care of themselves, they still look a mess, and tend to smell, but not her.

Psycho-Pass : Watched the first episode because of the noitaminA brand name, but I didn't like it. More "cool" facade, I agree with the assessment it tries way too hard and borrows too heavily from better works.

Robotics;Notes: Seems like a safe bet. I doubt it will get the discussion of Steins;Gate but a problem I had with that show was how forced so much of the character interaction was, this already feels much more natural.

Say, "I Love You": Ever get Deja Vu? This seems to be very solid and fun shojo rom-com. Good characters, promising set-up, characters show their emotions nicely.

Teekyū: too-fast-too-much-its-a-failed-experiment-I-can't-even-stand-to-watch-for-its-two-minute-run-time.

To Love-Ru -Trouble- Darkness: I'm in the wait for a release crowd. The show is made to titillate, to show it censored defeats the purpose. And it's definitely not a show I'm likely to want to watch more than once.

Wooser: Now this is weird fun in a two minute package. It could actually stand to run longer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
iamtanmay2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Hi all.

I registered on the site just so I can say that the guy who [insults removed]

Why that [insults removed] article is linked to the wikipedia page of sakuraso, as a valid critic is beyond me. Probably that [insults removed].

Anyway, I loved tempest. Anyone who disagrees has obv not followed the manga or the anime completely. It should rank right up there with all time classics like bokurano, sis puela etc.

Sakuraso while not awesome, is much better than what the [insults removed] thinks. Obv because he never went past episode 1, like most of his [insults removed].

That'll be all.

Have a nice day now Anime smile

[Mod Edit: As the rules state, disagree respectfully or not at all. If you feel the need to post again in this fashion spending the whole time insulting, belittling and personally attacking someone simply because they don't share your opinoin then your post will simply be removed and you will be banned. I mean, this whole hate and rage filled tirade is pretty much the result of the reviewer simply not agreeing with you, and it's sad that's all you need to spit this kind of venom; just freaking sad. - Keonyn]
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:48 am Reply with quote
I love Girls Und Panzer, I don't see why people would hate it. Ok, so the beginning was a little bit weak but the rest of the episodes after that are really great, it made me want to learn more about tanks Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 55 of 55