• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Law Penalizing Downloaders, Criminalizing Ripping Goes Into Effect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:36 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
The average person cannot buy things off the japanese itunes store, your friend is incorrect

first of all, Japan's credit card system is separate from ours, even though it has a visa logo there is an extremely high chance the transaction will be denied or suspended requiring you contact the bank.
That's got sod all to do with the card system or even Visa - that's purely a policy of your bank. For byspell, my credit union's asked me about the one purchase I made from Japan on my debit card and a $300 domestic internet purchase I made not too long ago while CapitalOne has never not once raised the slightest peep about anything I've boughten, from Japan or elsewhere.
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:42 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:
I laugh at all of those who say that there is no need to download anything illegally, all of it can be obtained through legal sources.
Um....
Rukiia wrote:
There really is no need to download anymore except for maybe really really old titles that never got licensed (and/or, at this point, never will).

Okl, prove your saying Rukiia, if you are so sure, please point me to the legal English streams/simulcast of:

-Ginga he kick off
-Toriko
-Gon
-Lets try a new one of this season: Kamisama hajimemashita, it already aired no simulcast yet Sad

Thats enough, I am looking forward to you or anyone else that says the same pointing me to these legals streams or whatever other legal means to watch them right now -outside japan evidently-, lookign forward to them so if you would please. thank you.

jmaeshawn wrote:
I laugh at all of those who say that there is no need to download anything illegally, all of it can be obtained through legal sources.

I live in Japan and have access to Tsutaya video rental shops. Everytime I walk into one, specifically the one in Shibuya, I see the floor after floor filled with 100's of thousands of DVDs and blu-rays for rent and think about how much of the material there has never seen the light of day outside of Japan. Until the day when every last thing in these Japanese rental shops are licensed and available worldwide, then there will always be a need to find material through "other" methods, unless you happen to live here in Tokyo too.

Thanks, this is a very good input from someone actually in Japan to get things into objective perspective.

Last time I was in Japan I could not find some old series from the 70/80s -yet they were easily available online-, granted I only looked in Akiba but since I was not gonna waste time hunting them down all over the city I gave up Sad So not even being in Japan its a guarantee that you will be able to get your hands on any series by legal means.

Last edited by dan9999 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:12 am; edited 2 times in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:01 am Reply with quote
Tanken Driland, Doraemon, Shin-chan, Detective Conan, Chibi Devi!, Pocket Monsters, Yu-Gi-Oh, Battle Spirits, Jewelpet, Pretty Rhythm, Pretty Cure, Sword Eyes (doubt Aikatsu will be either when it premiers next week).. might as well throw in Kamen Rider and Super Sentai too while we're at it. There's a lot of series that people miss out on if they rely only on streams. Not to mention stuff like Madoka were never streamed until way after it ended and companies realized how huge it was and tried to backpedal for the rights.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:00 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:
Um....
Rukiia wrote:
There really is no need to download anymore except for maybe really really old titles that never got licensed (and/or, at this point, never will).

Okl, prove your saying Rukiia, if you are so sure, please point me to the legal English streams/simulcast of:

-Ginga he kick off
-Toriko
-Gon
-Lets try a new one of this season: Kamisama hajimemashita, it already aired no simulcast yet Sad

....You are not really reading what I am saying, you know? I never even said that everything is available on legal streams. Rolling Eyes But
if you insist: Toriko = Brought to you by Funimation. You're welcome.

As for Ginga e Kickoff!!, they picked up a few new sports Anime on Crunchyroll last Spring and since sports is generally not that popular of a genre they probably only picked out what looked good.

Gon - You are probably the only person who brought this Anime up. What does that tell you? Laughing

Kamisama Hajimemashita - Now hold on a minute. Crunchyroll is just starting to pick up Fall titles so that one might be next for all we know. Sometimes they are late with picking stuff. Have some patience.

I don't think you were even trying there. Laughing

Last edited by Rukiia on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:08 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
The average person cannot buy things off the japanese itunes store, your friend is incorrect

first of all, Japan's credit card system is separate from ours, even though it has a visa logo there is an extremely high chance the transaction will be denied or suspended requiring you contact the bank.
I've never had that problem with either Visa, MC, or Amex, so what's in your wallet?
EleutheroMaster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote
Gerald Celente said this: "When people lose EVERYTHING AND HAVE NOTHING left to lose, they LOSE IT!"

That day will come, people!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:00 am Reply with quote
EleutheroMaster wrote:
Gerald Celente said this: "When people lose EVERYTHING AND HAVE NOTHING left to lose, they LOSE IT!"

That day will come, people!
That day came back in 2008, where have you been? Laughing
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
Are you talking about "Change you can believe in[but never get]"?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

as for a 'large' amount of streaming sites? I wouldn't say there are alot. I've not been to a cafe so I can't say what 'pay per minute' features there are.

There is away around that and I'll post a link here, you just need to get Japenese Itunes cards >_>
http://nihongoperapera.com/store/itunes-japan-registration-guide-no-cc.html

Rukiia wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Not everyone lives in america or the u.k. where the 2nd hand market is actually stable with a wide variety of titles aviable for purchase.

You are right, they don't. Yet I myself don't even live in America or the UK. I can't use Hulu because I live in Canada so I miss out on some shows. Am I going to download them because I can't watch them? No, because I am patient and will wait for future home releases. Plus Crunchyroll is and has expanded to other countries.

Your still on region one for dvd's and region a for blu-ray so importing boxsets from america or japan shouldn't be a issue for you. Until they tear barriers down on region blocking in other countries, this criminal activity will continue because it provides a better service.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
In my experence, there really isn't any reasoning on the insufficiency of media economic models that are compelling enough to validate the violation of the right of authors/copyright-holders to determine who can enjoy their properties and under what circumstances. Or put another way, I've never seen a convincing argument as to why the shortcomings of the media industry model (lost profits, untapped markets, technological stagnation, etc.) make any claim to enjoying a copyright-holder's works without their permission valid.
kanechin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm pro piracy so....never going to japan.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
In my experence, there really isn't any reasoning on the insufficiency of media economic models that are compelling enough to validate the violation of the right of authors/copyright-holders to determine who can enjoy their properties and under what circumstances. Or put another way, I've never seen a convincing argument as to why the shortcomings of the media industry model (lost profits, untapped markets, technological stagnation, etc.) make any claim to enjoying a copyright-holder's works without their permission valid.
As I mentioned on page two, copyright's a utilitarian measure - it's up to the creators to economically defend the practice of granting them monopolies(though I'm not aware of any study finding a net boon to society - as far as I know they've been inconclusive when they haven't found a net drain). Most critics of intellectual monopolies go for the moral angle.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

Not true. You can buy yourself a Japanese Itunes card.

There are several websites that will sell you a Japanese Itunes card that you can purchase using foriegn currency. The one that I purchased my card from not only allowed me to do it, but gave me instructions, in English, regarding opening up a Japanese Itunes account. It was super easy to buy a song on JI, and then it took me a couple minutes to get that purchase to sync with my purchased music on the US Itunes. The purchase only took a couple of minutes; they send you a scan of the back of the card and away you go.

And regarding purchasing Japanese goods from Japan - You can also do that with the aid of deputy services. These sites allow you to buy items from Yahoo Japan and many other websites for a service fee.

And Mohawk, regarding your comment with Japan not accepting foriegn cards, that's true when you're physically in the country. I've had no issue with purchasing from companies while there with my Visa card. However, if you try to open an account on Yahoo Japan now, they will not accept it unless you have a Japanese credit card.

Either way, it doesn't matter - Most Japanese sellers will not ship outside of Japan anyways. Most people don't want deal with language issues.
martinic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
As long as it doesn't affect fansubbers I don't realy care. For people like me who are excluded the media highway they are vital.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
As I mentioned on page two, copyright's a utilitarian measure - it's up to the creators to economically defend the practice of granting them monopolies(though I'm not aware of any study finding a net boon to society - as far as I know they've been inconclusive when they haven't found a net drain). Most critics of intellectual monopolies go for the moral angle.

I think you misunderstood my point. I see copyright as more of a property rights issue, as opposed to one of economic models (which is why I stated that I've never seen an economic argument that overrides the property rights of a content-owner).

And I've had this discussion with you before regarding the use of the word "monopoly" when talking about copyrights, which I'm generally against unless you're not trying to carry irrelevant baggage into the discussion (IIRC the media industry is traditionally considered an oligopoly, not monopoly, though I think you could argue monopolistic competition [which isn't the same thing as a monopoly]).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7