• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Puella Magi Madoka Magica Films' Footage Aired

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
Wow! It's like exactly what I have on my two hundred dollar blu-ray/dvd set! Only now it's in theaters!

Let me know when the third one's got footage out
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Wow! It's like exactly what I have on my two hundred dollar blu-ray/dvd set! Only now it's in theaters!

Well, the first two films ARE recaps. What were you expecting?
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

From the sounds of it, they've re-voiced most of, if not all of, the entire thing. In fact, some of the re-animated scenes look really good. It looks like they made episode 3's spoiler[death scene a little scarier], too.

It may not matter much to some people who only care to give the series a few glances to enjoy it once or maybe a few times... but for people like me, who have studied the thing from front to back, I noticed all of the differences in this trailer without having to go back and check my BD/DVD set.

I've got the tickets and I might be able to see some of the creators attending the theater I'm going to in Kyoto... though I don't have the tickets that allow me to talk with them and shake their hands. ):
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
Juno026 wrote:
From the sounds of it, they've re-voiced most of, if not all of, the entire thing. In fact, some of the re-animated scenes look really good. It looks like they made episode 3's spoiler[death scene a little scarier], too.

It may not matter much to some people who only care to give the series a few glances to enjoy it once or maybe a few times... but for people like me, who have studied the thing from front to back, I noticed all of the differences in this trailer without having to go back and check my BD/DVD set.

No kidding. These alterations look really freaking gorgeous.... though compare them to their earlier versions, a few of them look kind of overdone, hah (like the 0:50 mark). I'm pretty happy with what they've shown, though, "overdone" or not; I like there are more aesthetic touches than I was expecting.... hey, the more ways there are to experience the anime, the better. And if I'm expected to eventually fork up the money for the movies (I somehow doubt Aniplex USA won't sell the compilation/recap films separately from the third all-new film), there damn well better be some changes.

Also, I must add that I really love how Sayaka's beret actually transforms with her costume-- it has now become a fortissimo!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

I don't have the series on bluray. I don't even have a bluray player. Sardonicism is all fine and well, but for me, this is a very good thing.

That is, it would be if it were playing anywhere near where I am, which it isn't...
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
Nemo of Mentis wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

I don't have the series on bluray. I don't even have a bluray player. Sardonicism is all fine and well, but for me, this is a very good thing.

That is, it would be if it were playing anywhere near where I am, which it isn't...
The show is available streaming if you're looking for a way to watch it.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
The show is available streaming if you're looking for a way to watch it.

I'm quite sure he/she is talking about the movie version, which is only playing in a few theaters in America.

Animerican14 wrote:
No kidding. These alterations look really freaking gorgeous.... though compare them to their earlier versions, a few of them look kind of overdone, hah (like the 0:50 mark). I'm pretty happy with what they've shown, though, "overdone" or not; I like there are more aesthetic touches than I was expecting.... hey, the more ways there are to experience the anime, the better. And if I'm expected to eventually fork up the money for the movies (I somehow doubt Aniplex USA won't sell the compilation/recap films separately from the third all-new film), there damn well better be some changes.

Also, I must add that I really love how Sayaka's beret actually transforms with her costume-- it has now become a fortissimo!

There seems to be a whole new soundtrack, too. 0:28 sounds like the usual song, but with wind instruments. 1:03 sounds powerful. And hear the chanting at 1:47 and soon after... Kinda chilling. And of course, 2:18--A tune we all know, but with Japanese lyrics ("...n/rashiin da saru hazu, hitori jya nai..."[?]).

Now I'm even more excited for this weekend...
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I'm quite sure he/she is talking about the movie version, which is only playing in a few theaters in America.

He, and yes. I've already seen the series streaming and absolutely loved it.

Animerican14 wrote:
There seems to be a whole new soundtrack, too. 0:28 sounds like the usual song, but with wind instruments. 1:03 sounds powerful. And hear the chanting at 1:47 and soon after... Kinda chilling. And of course, 2:18--A tune we all know, but with Japanese lyrics ("...n/rashiin da saru hazu, hitori jya nai..."[?]).
I noticed too, but I'm not sure if that's just a promotional version or whether it'll actually be that way in the film. If it is that way in the film, it's kind of a questionable directorial decision, and I'd like to hear Shinbou's justification for it, but...

That's how I heard the lyrics too, but my Japanese is pretty questionable...
Animexcel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

I don't own Madoka Magica on dvd nor blu-ray. When I heard there were 2 movies retelling the tv series, I decided to hold onto my money. Plus, some of the changes from tv version made for blu-ray didn't sit too well for me.

From the looks of the film footage. I really like what I'm seeing with Sayaka and Mami's new transformation scenes :3 I'm looking forward to hearing the new version of Credens Justitiam as well. 10/20 can't come any faster.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
There are enough differences (and improvements) in animation for me to want to see this. Those transformation sequences are stunning!
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Nemo of Mentis wrote:
I noticed too, but I'm not sure if that's just a promotional version or whether it'll actually be that way in the film. If it is that way in the film, it's kind of a questionable directorial decision, and I'd like to hear Shinbou's justification for it, but...

Well, considering how I was hearing all of the other clips of the music, I think they cut that clip out of the movie, so it's playing in the background of that exact scene. It would make sense, as the original song was playing in that scene, too.
Animexcel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Nemo of Mentis wrote:

Well, considering how I was hearing all of the other clips of the music, I think they cut that clip out of the movie, so it's playing in the background of that exact scene. It would make sense, as the original song was playing in that scene, too.

I agree. I also think it's because the song is a fan favorite and it would be an opportunity to do another rendition instead of using the original again from a previous scene.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1