• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sengoku Basara Game's Live-Action Show Spawns 2 Films

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midnighteve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:22 am Reply with quote
I'm so sad that no one is subbing this from what I can tell Sad Think this has a snowball's chance for Funi to pick it up somehow since they got the anime covered? (Heck, have there ever been any JDramas liscensed?)
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Besides the streaming for that Moyashimon live action, there was the Bloodhound J-drama that Bandai released (which I've seen but can't wholly recommend, unless like me you find the subtitle "Vampire Gigolo" hilarious). I think that's about it for actual TV series.

Come to think of it, it seems to me that lately a lot of J-dramas either haven't been getting subbed at all, or they get subbed halfway and dropped, or subs are really scattered around the internet (i.e. you have to do a lot of searching to find that one person subbing that one show, i.e. not as many sub team efforts as we used to see). Maybe people are getting tired of so many police/detective shows and so few josei-style series. In my personal experience, it's like people in the general drama community just aren't talking about J-dramas as much as they used to, like there's little-to-no "buzz" about new series-- K-dramas seem much more highly anticipated/followed nowadays. IMO this is one area where J-dramas could learn from K-dramas-- more variety please!*

*Also, would it kill them to get Kimura Takuya into another romantic comedy?

P.S. I've heard last season's Rich Man, Poor Woman was good, though part of me wonders how much of that was due to people being relieved that Japan hadn't forgotten how to make romance series altogether. It's on my "To Watch" list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
midnighteve wrote:
I'm so sad that no one is subbing this from what I can tell Sad Think this has a snowball's chance for Funi to pick it up somehow since they got the anime covered? (Heck, have there ever been any JDramas liscensed?)

poonk wrote:
Besides the streaming for that Moyashimon live action, there was the Bloodhound J-drama that Bandai released (which I've seen but can't wholly recommend, unless like me you find the subtitle "Vampire Gigolo" hilarious). I think that's about it for actual TV series.

There's also 2005's Team Astro, based on the 70s manga Astro Kyudan, which is streamed over at DramaFever.com (Moyashimon live-action is also streamed at DramaFever). The big trouble is that most J-Dramas feature actors that come from agencies that tend to have restrictions and/or high licensing costs behind them. For example, we'll likely never see any J-Drama licensed, or even streamed, if it stars someone that Johhny's represents.

Moyashimon & Team Astro are likely rare cases where there were little to no issues regarding them; also, Moyashimon aired on the noitaminA block, so FUNimation essentially had to stream it due to their deal with Fuji TV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1