• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Umi Monogatari.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
Umi Monogatari

Okay, confession time: I got it confused with Bakemonogatari and downloaded it by mistake. I realise the irony, considering it has Moe characters and I just recently said I hated Moe.

Of course I hated the Moe elements, the obvious cleavage shots, and all the panty shots that were more unnecessary than usual (given that the girls were in swimsuits anyway). Kanon's mother was also annoying; what was she, eight when she had Kanon?

But Kanon herself was the best character, both sympathetic and humourous. Actually, the humour by and large was more hit than miss, and luckily the fansubs explained the puns and the inner thoughts. And finally, characters who actually notice just how little Marin was wearing (and then staring; yay for realism).

As for the plot, well it was okay. I got magical girl vibes, sort of like "the evil has been set free, now they must capture it again". It would be interesting to see how Kanon's ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend settle into the scheme of things. They are depicted in the OP after all.

However, I won't watch any more of it; it isn't my usual fare, and the Moe elements are barely tolerable for me. But I will say it was better than I had expected, with the humour and Kanon carrying the day. Indeed, I would have seriously consider making it a regular watch if Kanon was the main character, but alas it's not to be.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Umi Monogatari

Okay, confession time: I got it confused with Bakemonogatari and downloaded it by mistake. I realise the irony, considering it has Moe characters and I just recently said I hated Moe.
See, this incident makes a good case for fansub groups actually bothering to translate the titles of series. Somehow I don't think you would've downloaded a file labled "Sea Story ~you were there for me~", amirite? Laughing Depending on what groups sub it, this show is definitely on my radar. Not only does it apparently have moe elements powerful to annoy the "haters," it's directed by Junichi Sato, who was behind series like Aria, Kaleido Star, and Princess Tutu. Which aren't trashy or generic in the least.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:40 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
See, this incident makes a good case for fansub groups actually bothering to translate the titles of series. Somehow I don't think you would've downloaded a file labled "Sea Story ~you were there for me~", amirite? Laughing

On the contrary - I did, which would never happen if they had left the Japanese title, since Umimonogatari is one of titles I didn't plan to start this summer. But while I am at it - it was dull, predictable, and boring - I watched in breaks. The moe appeal is nothing striking and innovative, rather average in design and action, which actually makes me think there might be something in Queen's Blade that could justify its production efforts. It was awkwardly scandalous, in a way. Umimonogatri has the huge potential of being generic and bland moe series, as any other ... H20 -> Footprints in the Sand Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:26 am Reply with quote
I don't realy know what to think of it, at the begining it felt like I was watching the Little Mermaide or something, but later on had those moments of them crouching down, that felt a bit unnecesary. With the introduction of the character Kanon it felt good that there at least not another full moe character, instead going for the kind of character that scares everyone. I guess I would have to see more to see how they take these characters and get a better idea of what styles they are going to take.
Espeon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Well the scene's of crotch shots and bend overs were a little over used i'm not bothered. I felt the girls chests were slightly unnatural looking. But all and it was a cool and funny little show and i shall be following it for now.
Labbes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:59 am Reply with quote
This show really insulted my intelligence by completely defying logic as well as physics multiple times. Seriously, the way spoiler[she opened that shrine] was just completely ludicrous, the way she got there even more. In the real world, that seal would have been vandalised a long time ago anyway.
I had at least some hopes for this, but I am certainly not going to continue watching it.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I admit I can be tired of moe at times but if it's meant to be with fanservice (like this one), I don't really have a problem. I just wish they would go more fanservicey
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
...it's directed by Junichi Sato, who was behind series like Aria, Kaleido Star, and Princess Tutu. Which aren't trashy or generic in the least.

Yeah, I thought the fact that he was/is involved would lure a fair amount of fans in to at least try out the show.

I thought the first episode was decent. Certainly it's interesting enough for me to continue watching. While some may have issues with the opening of the shrine or other aspects, keep in mind that by this point we've already accepted the fact that they are water breathing creatures who can breathe normally on land by wearing a special bracelet. It's like if you're going to suspend your belief, you have to go all the way.

What I really enjoyed most about the first episode was the music, actually, and the background music in particular. I think I'm going to make a point of tracking down the OST when it becomes available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I just started watching it. So far the only two things that bug me are Kanon - I'm sure she's going to loosen up and be all warm and endearing and stuff but right now she's just a bitch. I thought the whole "evil spirit" thing was just for comic relief, since she's so down and spiteful over her getting dumped by her b/f, she's giving off this "evil spirit" but they really seem to be working it into the plot, and it doesn't make sense. The other thing that bothers me is the attempt at comedy. Saying normal "anime-like" things while in SD/Funny face mode is not comedy.

Otherwise Urin and Marin ooze charm (moeness aside), and the world is just beautiful. I thought of some of the best of Studio Ghibli when I first saw it. I just want to see Kanon develop better.

I hope this isn't necroposting. I got a feeling I would've been linked to this thread if I had posted a new one.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Hahahaha, I just finished it. It's incredibly schmaltzy. I haven't seen an overwraught melodrama like this since... I don't even know.

I don't have anything new to praise or complain about that I didn't say last night. I guess I can say the music is incredibly sublime, almost to a fault. The very few action scenes in the show are accented by the same whistful piano and violin tracks that accent any other part of the show, kind of an odd contrast. It gives the whole show a dream-like quality.

Overall, it's nothing that will stand out, but as far as Magical Girl goes, I've seen much worse.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably check it out whenever someone picks it up here, because Junichi Sato's stuff is always good Smile I'm guessing this is the Little Mermaid to Pretear's Snow White.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I'll probably check it out whenever someone picks it up here, because Junichi Sato's stuff is always good Smile I'm guessing this is the Little Mermaid to Pretear's Snow White.

That's pretty apt. However, though they are sea-dwellers, they're not mer-people. I'd say it's Sato's most forgettable effort from what I've seen of his.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I had a two line review in the watching thread, I'll repeat some of that.

This had such a weak and basic plot. Evil escapes, destined ones fight evil, friend gets controlled by evil. destined ones are discouraged, but they work together to save the friend and vanquish evil. I can see how this was based of a pachinko game, simple game as a source, led to a rather simple show.

Really, as soon as you see Urin take the ring tainted by the dark presence you can see what the end would be and who it would involve. But simple doesnt have to be bad, what can make it better and the thing that could surprise a person is how the middle runs and if the pleasant comedy elements it promised in the beginning were delivered. Up until the eclipse episode it was decent, but everything after was just annoying and melodramatic wallowing in sorrow, one decent comedy break at one point but even that didn't work that great because of the generally dark tone of the second half.

The wallowing period is standard in anime. Usually it's at the end of the third or fourth to last episode it seems the bad guy(s) have beaten our hero)es), there's no chance for them to win. So in the next episode they mope around, doubt themselves, strike out at those that want to help them but in the end they find the courage to fight even though it's hopeless. And then in the last episode or two they win against the odds. I expected that from this show. I did not expect it to take up half of the series!

All they had to do to fix it was to separate the stuff about Kojima and Oshima into dedicated episodes about them in the first half, maybe by delaying Urin's transformation after the eclipse or something. By integrating those stories into the mopey second half they really ruined what could have been fun and pleasant episodes and a chance to make Oshima more than a really unsympathetic bitch.

I will agree with other here though and say that I quite liked Kanon's character, she was the only character with complexity, and an interesting complexity at that. A good and generous person crippled by severe abandonment issues that cause her to push others away. I loved how she reacted to Marin's unconditional love.

Even if Marin's one dimensional dopamine addled personality made her less complex than Ms. Squirtle the jr. turtle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote
I thought Kanon was the second worst character along with Oshima. Kanon was all Mopey emo emo evil evil emo emo, and Oshima was hardly developed at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1