• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hayate the Combat Butler: Can't Take My Eyes Off You (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
been years since i tried watching the first season, so i dont remember much, but is Hayate always this stupid around girls?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I'm a Hayate fan. I watched the first season years ago and liked it. I liked the second as well. But now that I'm in the third season, I just don't care anymore. I'm just not a big enough fan of this franchise to feel anything. The drama/suspense doesn't affect me, my laughs are hollow, and the characters aside from Maria are tiring. I don't wanna drop this show, because I do kinda/sorta like what I've seen, but as I watching my Friday lineup, I kept skipping over this and I didn't really wanna watch it when I finally got to it. If I don't watch next weeks episode I won't really care, and I think that says everything about how I feel right now.

Oh well. It was fun while it lasted, Hayate the Combat Butler, but 80 episodes in and you've finally worn out your welcome. Maybe if Noriko Wakamoto was still around as the smart ass narrator I would've felt different, but we'll never know, will we? Parting is such sweet sorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
YAY HINAGIKU!

I thought it was a nice episode, but for some odd reason the proportions of her face seemed off the entire episode...

I haven't seen season 1 because after so many poor anime adaptions, I couldn't deal with another on that goes off story, especially after beelzebub.

though I noticed second season, while following the basic plot, didn't have that mood that I felt in the manga, which I thought stunk. I think this season's doing a pretty good job, and while I don't like the fact we don't have the narrator, I do like idol girl's brief appearances, peeking ahead a bit and reading some of her arc, I really began to like her.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
is Hayate always this stupid around girls?

Pretty much. But is he any worse than any other anime male harem lead you ever heard of?

And Nagi is arguably worse where Hayate is concerned. Although I find I do rather like her when she is in her authoritarian/assertive mode.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
getchman wrote:
is Hayate always this stupid around girls?

Pretty much. But is he any worse than any other anime male harem lead you ever heard of?

And Nagi is arguably worse where Hayate is concerned. Although I find I do rather like her when she is in her authoritarian/assertive mode.

he is the worse. Other harem leadd atleast know those chicks like him, they just don't want to act.

No more bad ass narrator, change character design, i think i will just watch it when i'm very bore and have nothing to do.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I usually thought that to some degree that Hayate feins ignorance, it seems to be more of a fact that he expects people to think pretty badly of him based on his childhood. And he still feels responsible for messing things up with his old girlfriend, a rather sad story that is the reason he is so hesitent of thinking the girls like him. Sadness from that story not getting animated, and I still want to find out if and how he sees her again.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4
Well, Ruri sure wants some sisterly love. So, I guess...there's one thing for her to do! spoiler[Be a pro at video games and manga!] I lol'd when she walked into the wrong section at the store. Silly girl.

I also applaud Nagi's dedication to her games. Dat dedication.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Eh, wasn't a fan of this eppie. The whole mocking of otaku and their predilections has really been done to death by now. I don't think there are any new laughs to be had in that less than zesty fresh territory. And dammit, when are we going to see some Izumi outside of those dopey connecting theatre bits?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And dammit, when are we going to see some Izumi outside of those dopey connecting theatre bits?
Do you mean Izumi or Isumi?

Episode 4

Although somewhat entertaining, it feels a little weird that these side stories are taking over the plot we saw in episode 1. But I guess this is the first time we have seen these charactersfight like this, that the hobbies they share also sets them apart. I did like the bit where they built up Nagi, then tore down the other's opinions, even if it has been done before.

Also since when did Wataru have a book store? I thought he did movie rentals. Seeing nagi flustered reminded me of the time she tried to sneak an adult movie.
mad mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I liked this episode, even though it was pretty filler-ish and probably would have worked better as a half episode. It's not going to be like this the whole time, though. There's more plot hints in this chapter that would be impossible to explain if you aren't up to date on the series.

Quote:
Also since when did Wataru have a book store? I thought he did movie rentals. Seeing nagi flustered reminded me of the time she tried to sneak an adult movie

He did some market research, determined that the video rental business was all but dead, took out a loan, revamped Saki's uniform, sold the old store and set up a new business in Akiba. No, really. He even took some time to sort out his personal love triangle while he was at it. Wataru's been busy.

Also, just because I don't think any anime only watchers caught it. spoiler[The book Ruri buys at the end was drawn/written by Nagi. She's actually still working on it in the manga right now so it's a bit of a teaser for manga readers.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
mad mac wrote:
He did some market research, determined that the video rental business was all but dead, took out a loan, revamped Saki's uniform, sold the old store and set up a new business in Akiba. No, really. He even took some time to sort out his personal love triangle while he was at it. Wataru's been busy.
I forgot to point that out, damn Saki looked good.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:38 am Reply with quote
@ DP - I meant Isumi. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing more of Izumi, too.

@ mad mac - re; your spoiler. I assumed that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:24 am Reply with quote
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I really like the OP song, I have been finding it really catchy, and there is something about the animation that I find pleasent. A symbolism that I am not entirely sure what it represents, but it makes me feel a little warm.

As for characters, I am getting the distinct feeling that there are so many characters that it has been hard for them to be easilly woven into the story. They had to do this entire episode to be able to get Nagi's otaku friends, Wataru and Saki into the story. Though now that I do think they could have dropped Isumi into the story as she appears at unlikely places, the idiot trio come at the worst possible times, and Yukiji finds a way to make things worse, or booze it up.

Personally I am happy that Fumi at least gets small bits, I found her hillarious, like her first impressions of Hina being a little familiar, scolding Nagi, and seeing was Yukiji is like at 7:30 in the morning.
mad mac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I really like the OP song, I have been finding it really catchy, and there is something about the animation that I find pleasent. A symbolism that I am not entirely sure what it represents, but it makes me feel a little warm.

Yeah, the OP has really grown on me too. I'm hoping we have a better idea what it's about by the end, though.

Quote:
As for characters, I am getting the distinct feeling that there are so many characters that it has been hard for them to be easilly woven into the story. They had to do this entire episode to be able to get Nagi's otaku friends, Wataru and Saki into the story. Though now that I do think they could have dropped Isumi into the story as she appears at unlikely places, the idiot trio come at the worst possible times, and Yukiji finds a way to make things worse, or booze it up.

This is a huge problem even in the manga. There's so many characters that a lot of them don't show up for months (or years) at a time, or just make small appearances here and there.

I get the impression from this season that the last half or third will be relatively focused on a few characters, so they're just trying to highlight as many characters as possible before then. It's probably safe to assume that the ones that show up in the extras constantly won't have any involvement with the story when it actually gets underway.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
Watched episode 4. I'm definitely a Chiharu type of person. I'll always love RPGs no matter what! Even if it might just be a carbon remake of a previous version!

Speaking of which, do we have any idea what's up with the blue haired girl in the wedding dress yet? She sings the ED theme, and she just monologues randomly at parts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6