• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hayate the Combat Butler: Can't Take My Eyes Off You (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Can an SR-71 Blackbird actually fly from Tokyo to Vegas in 3 hours?

maybe. Tokyo to Vegas is 5524.73 miles. A blackbirds max speed is mach 3.3 at 80,000 feet. that is 2,200 MPH, which would take 2.5 hours. however, its range is about 3355 miles, so it would need to land, refuel then take off again to reach Vegas. i have no idea if that could be accomplished in the remaining 30 minutes
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

Can an SR-71 Blackbird actually fly from Tokyo to Vegas in 3 hours?

maybe. Tokyo to Vegas is 5524.73 miles. A blackbirds max speed is mach 3.3 at 80,000 feet. that is 2,200 MPH, which would take 2.5 hours. however, its range is about 3355 miles, so it would need to land, refuel then take off again to reach Vegas. i have no idea if that could be accomplished in the remaining 30 minutes

aerial refueling from a pacific carrier along the route would be well within the time needed.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:

aerial refueling from a pacific carrier along the route would be well within the time needed.

ah, good point, i didn't think of that
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
now for the big question could someone no matter how rich actually get a military jet from japan refueled by a military bird off a navy carrier all the way to las vegas with a single phone call in under 3 hrs?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
now for the big question could someone no matter how rich actually get a military jet from japan refueled by a military bird off a navy carrier all the way to las vegas with a single phone call in under 3 hrs?
Have you watched Hayate, in first episodes Nagi quickly got enough money to pay "very nice people" and managed to pull off some elaborate show, they have had nurseing robots, Nagi has a pet white tiger from Africa that can speak, her best friend secretly fights ghosts. Her Butler has been gone into freezing shark infested water while bleeding, run over by cars, jumped out of a train, destroyed a giant robot, gone through a blizard, had a deathmatch over lava, stabbed, and come out alive.

Money in this show has bought titanic ships, the above mentioned giant robot, a giant RPG styled dungeon, a theme park used twice, a lake filled with exotic fish, a buttler competition. a huge amount of highly skilled guards, a castle, military styled weapons that go against gun regulation, a genius level tutor whoes job expanded actually into many other things.

I don't think the show is that worried about realism.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:10 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:
Have you watched Hayate, in first episodes Nagi quickly got enough money to pay "very nice people" and managed to pull off some elaborate show, they have had nurseing robots, Nagi has a pet white tiger from Africa that can speak, her best friend secretly fights ghosts. Her Butler has been gone into freezing shark infested water while bleeding, run over by cars, jumped out of a train, destroyed a giant robot, gone through a blizard, had a deathmatch over lava, stabbed, and come out alive.

Money in this show has bought titanic ships, the above mentioned giant robot, a giant RPG styled dungeon, a theme park used twice, a lake filled with exotic fish, a buttler competition. a huge amount of highly skilled guards, a castle, military styled weapons that go against gun regulation, a genius level tutor whoes job expanded actually into many other things.

I don't think the show is that worried about realism.

didn't expect reality just asked if it would even be possible since I'm pretty sure there isn't even one of that plane based in japan. but that aside if the fortune they keep eluding to that nagi keeps dipping into were put into context she'd be bigger than Honda,Hyundai,Toyota,Subaru put together and account for about 60% of the entire countries economy.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12/Finale
While the series wasn't the highlight for me of the Fall Season, I enjoyed the finale and the ending. Overall, a slightly above averages series imo.

The latest episode's spoiler[raining money scene and Ruka's final performance along with that fight and talk at the end were a nice watch.] I'll just leave it at that for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

Wasn't the best series this cour, wasn't the best Hayate season, but this end had heart, and hit the very heart of the Hayate series. There is some goofeyness: Yukiji spoiler[kept going after the money], spoiler[crossdressing] was involved. There was some action: spoiler[Isumi getting angry and attacking Tsugumi], and the spoiler[giant tree]. But the heart was the heart is what was the most important: spoiler[Yukiji would protect Hina over money] without hesitation, and that despite it all spoiler[Nagi's father would sacrafice himself to protect her].

I think my favourite bit was actually looking back and realizing that spoiler[Yukiji winning the money was not meant to be good luck. It was hinted that it was bad luck that would lead Yukiji astray and possibly make her sacrafice her sister for it, but her love was enough] to overcome it. I am not sure why, but that makes me feel a little teary eyed, strange for what is usually a gag series, I think the spoiler[sibling bond] thing really resonates with me.

Of course the way to activate the spoiler[mirracle was as rediculous as singing, but they just had to throw in the dress up as a girl thing], it is Hayate so we should expect that. But despite that sillyness, the part where Hayate spoiler[was confident that Nagi's father would do that made me feel really happy, even made the part where her Father in drag seeing Nagi's mother] feel sweet.

I feel the episode reallly tied a bow on this season, it was not epic, but it was good, now that I am used to this style I kind of want to go back and watch the movie so I can enjoy the message a bit more. The movie had the moral of spoiler[family care of Hayate's grandmother had for him, and the dedication Hayate has to Nagi], while this series showed the spoiler[dedication Nagi has to Hayate finishing on with thanks to the love that Nagi's father had.]

I will rate the series as Good, but I would say that is a bit lower than how I feel about the ending, though it probably works into the lack of direction early on, and the lack of strong comedic feel that I loved about the first two seasons. I did enjoy Tsugumi a bit.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I ended up rating this season as "Decent" which is a big drop from the "Excellent" that I gave the first two seasons. The darker tone and story line just didn't sit well with me. There was some good humour here and there, but not at the consistent level of the first two seasons. Basically, the main thing this outing did for me was make me nostalgic for what was. Not a waste of time, by any means, but not nearly as good as I would have liked.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:09 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The darker tone and story line just didn't sit well with me.

Hairy legs and tutus don't go together. There were a lot of odd comedic misfires like that.

I give them credit for trying to do something different than what they had done before, but if the first season had been like this I don't think there would have been a second.
mad mac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
Well...I really liked the ending. Wasn't a huge fan of the earlier episodes barring a few moments/gags, but I thought it picked up considerably once they got to Vegas. (Or, to paraphrase a random Japanese fan "Missy, after 8 years you finally said it! 8 years!")

That said, I think aside from the inconsistent animation/direction (The staff and director were inexperienced, and it shows.) that this season failed utterly at drawing in people who enjoyed the previous seasons but haven't been reading the manga. It's just way too much of a change from what they were used to, unlike some of us that have had years to get adjusted to the different style.

So, that's unfortunate. I won't guess as to how well it will sell, but the feels like a missed opportunity. I mean, I really liked it in the end and I'd still be tempted to just buy the last 4-5 episodes and ignore the rest.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I gave it a three out of ten, to match what I thought of the recent film version. It's bloated boring stupidity, and not the least amount humorous. I'll take these characters in dire situations if it's handled in a black comedy sort of way, but legitimately trying to be serious is inconsistent with the tone of the first two series, and it just does not work with these characters.

HaruhiToy wrote:
I give them credit for trying to do something different than what they had done before, but if the first season had been like this I don't think there would have been a second.

It'd have been completely forgotten by the third or fourth week, regardless that Rie was in a leading role.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6