Forum - View topic
When is this going to switch to an "on demand" setup?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe offering some way to DVR?
Not interested until I can watch a few eps of a show I like when I want, without having to wait for hours of reruns to be done with.
Scheduled programming is why people have moved away from TV, and why many service providers provide on demand and DVRs.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Hehe odds are.. it might be a long time... they are just now starting and there are people demanding "On Demand"....

At least they are showing new episodes through out the whole week instead of showing it once and then not show it again for weeks to come.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr Big200

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
they are just starting out they might have an "on demand" or maybe even a DVR the good thing is they are showing replays through out the week
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Neon Alley is essentially a TV channel being offered streamed as opposed to cable/satellite. No offense, but I'm really baffled at the number of people who have yet to grasp its function. Possibly there will be a VOD complimentary service for reruns down the road, but it's a network first and foremost (i.e. The Anime Network, FUNimation Channel). If it was just on-demand, what would make it so different than any other streaming service, a la Hulu or Crunchyroll--besides being all-dubbed?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Neon Alley is essentially a TV channel being offered streamed as opposed to cable/satellite. No offense, but I'm really baffled at the number of people who have yet to grasp its function. Possibly there will be a VOD complimentary service for reruns down the road, but it's a network first and foremost (i.e. The Anime Network, FUNimation Channel). If it was just on-demand, what would make it so different than any other streaming service, a la Hulu or Crunchyroll--besides being all-dubbed?

This.

Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
Hehe odds are.. it might be a long time... they are just now starting and there are people demanding "On Demand"....

At least they are showing new episodes through out the whole week instead of showing it once and then not show it again for weeks to come.

Yeah.

I actually don't mind it being a regular channel, and yup as of now it shouldn't be too hard to watch most of what someone wants with the large amount of times they're airing each ep since it's a full 24/7, so even if it's not on-demand there's currently plenty of chances to catch stuff before they move on to the next eps. Hopefully weekends offer a good selection of the premieres that may have happened during the week.

I'm doing the trial and I actually think I'll be on this almost too much watching lots of stuff lol, perhaps even more since it's a "channel" than I would have on-demand (and since it's dubbed I can watch both seriously and/or casually depending on the day like Saturday nights on Toonami). It actually almost feels like say a full-time Toonami/AS with a lot of the shows they picked (plus rounded out with some others that probably wouldn't have been picked by them) which is pretty cool especially with the really enticing premieres they've got of stuff that probably should have gotten on Toonami like T&B and Blue Exorcist. If they can do as they hope and add some big shows from say Funi and Sentai that would be cool too.[Edit: Actually I guess they do have Funi's One Piece so that's a start]

I also wonder if having traditional air times makes for more "event viewing" to get more people on board? Like the apparent Berserk premiere at the end of the month. Everyone will be tuning in at the same time and it'll probably kick off more discussion on various boards than "on demand" where people will just watch whenever. Seeing Toonami premieres while on the message boards since everyone has to be on is kind of nice too in addition to on-demand stuff.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Neon Alley is essentially a TV channel being offered streamed as opposed to cable/satellite. No offense, but I'm really baffled at the number of people who have yet to grasp its function.

It's not that people don't grasp it... many people don't like it. If you miss a few eps because of work or can't subscribe for a few weeks, you'd be lost on the story for multiple shows.
Quote:
Possibly there will be a VOD complimentary service for reruns down the road, but it's a network first and foremost (i.e. The Anime Network, FUNimation Channel).

That's my point, both of those have a VOD service because anime channels need them.
Quote:
If it was just on-demand, what would make it so different than any other streaming service, a la Hulu or Crunchyroll--besides being all-dubbed?

You say that as if being in a convenient format is a bad thing. Hard to compete when you do things worse than competitors.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:

Quote:
If it was just on-demand, what would make it so different than any other streaming service, a la Hulu or Crunchyroll--besides being all-dubbed?

You say that as if being in a convenient format is a bad thing. Hard to compete when you do things worse than competitors.

My point being is that it is a TV channel, not a Hulu or Crunchyroll-type service. There are already plenty of places to watch shows on-demand, so why is it so bad to have a TV channel dedicated to anime (that just so happens to be streamed)? It's something more unique and there definitely are people out there that like the idea of having such a network available, especially if their cable/satellite provider does not carry one.

I can't say it's even necessarily competing with VOD sites, since both operate so differently. In terms of subscriptions, perhaps, but I don't see it as much of a stretch if someone has one or two VOD ones and is able to fit in another for a service like NA (particularly if one of the VOD's just a yearly subscription; less spent per month). From a personal standpoint, I see it as more of a complimentary service. One's not exactly cutting into the other in terms of my viewing habits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Demon's Dream

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
The VOD service is integral for some of us who wish to use the service. Just from viewing the trial, the shows I wish to watch are on either when I'm at work or long after I've retired for the day.

I realize I'm outside of the 'prime' demographic range, but I still want to be a paying customer for this service. I have DVR for my cable, Netflix, and at one time, Anime Network. It's just a convenience that's necessary when I have some downtime.

Until VOD is available for Neon Alley, it really is an inefficient use of my funds because I won't get to enjoy the service. (Granted, it's probably still an inefficient use of my funds, but otaku blood still flows in these veins.) Cool
TigerC10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:

My point being is that it is a TV channel, not a Hulu or Crunchyroll-type service. There are already plenty of places to watch shows on-demand, so why is it so bad to have a TV channel dedicated to anime (that just so happens to be streamed)? It's something more unique and there definitely are people out there that like the idea of having such a network available, especially if their cable/satellite provider does not carry one.

Why is it so bad? Because of their chosen platform. PS3 via an app. There is quite literally no reason it shouldn't be VOD. I'm a web developer, this is what I do for a living - and it's easier on system resources (easier to program) to do VOD than to do a broadcast that everyone taps into. Orders of magnitude easier!

You cannot pause the live broadcast, nor can you rewind it. If you miss a critical dialog, or can't hear it due to some external factor (or maybe you're just keeping it quiet because of others in the house) - good luck hope you can tune in for another broadcast at a later date. Oh and uh, instead of telling you which episode number is being broadcast on the schedule later in the week you're left to your own devices to figure out if it's the episode you missed.

Speaking of being unable to hear the broadcast - there's no closed captioning support. No subtitles. Basically, to ensure you hear everything, you've gotta turn the volume WAY up. Hearing impaired anime fans are just screwed if they sign up for this service.

You know, I had trouble logging into Neon Alley on my PS3. I sent an e-mail to Neon Alley support and it took about 8 hours to get a response. That's right, there's not even a phone number to call. So that's a pretty bad problem - selling this as a "TV channel" without the ability to play back missed episodes means you gotta have 24/7 support that responds quickly to resolve issues - lest you screw over a customer who can't see the program due to technical difficulties.

Which, it turns out, my trouble signing in was because my Viz password had special characters (@, $, %, & and that stuff) in it. THAT'S RIGHT! In order to log into Neon Alley, I actually had to lower my password's strength by removing the special characters. Woahhhh.... That's messed up, Viz.

Sorry, Neon Alley in its current form should never have been released. This is a joke of a service, and I would have rather this been an ACTUAL channel in my cable's lineup since I could at least set the DVR to record the things I want to see.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TigerC10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
TigerC10 wrote:
Which, it turns out, my trouble signing in was because my Viz password had special characters (@, $, %, & and that stuff) in it. THAT'S RIGHT! In order to log into Neon Alley, I actually had to lower my password's strength by removing the special characters. Woahhhh.... That's messed up, Viz.

I was under the impression that I'd have to temporarily change my password just to sign into the Neon Alley app every single time I wanted to watch. Turns out you don't have to.

In order to do the initial sign in, you must not have any special characters in your password. Once you've signed in the first time, you can change your password back and never enter it again on the Neon Alley app.

I guess that has something to do with the "activated devices" thing. That kinda depresses me, because with a limitation of activating on "3 devices" - that means that mobile apps and PCs would compete with the PS3 space should they ever open up more platforms.[/i]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:57 am Reply with quote
Being on demand is the opposite of what the service is all about.
TigerC10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

And it's the opposite of of being good for customers in it's current form too.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

I suppose you're right. As it is now, it is long running ad for Viz products. You have to pay to potentially see something you like, while being forced to see episodes of other shows from Viz's library, on top of Viz raking in money from commercials. They're COUNTING ON people to miss a few eps so they would be inclined to go out and spend more money on the DVD/Blus.

Having a video service that conveniently allows anime fans to catch new shows at a decent price is the opposite of what Neon Alley (i.e. Glorified Mass Advertising Campaign) is all about.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
TigerC10 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

And it's the opposite of of being good for customers in it's current form too.

Now, if you ask me, I prefer chocolate to licorice. That doesn't mean that I would complain to a seller of licorice that it doesn't taste like chocolate.

I'm skeptical that the business model will be a big success, but the answer to when they will stop the streaming-linear-channel they are doing and start doing something else instead ignores that they already do VOD streaming. They didn't stop their existing VOD streaming in order to launch Neon Alley.
Demon_skeith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I really want to get this but I simply have no time with college, work and all that stuff.

It would be great if you could somehow save a few episodes like a DVR service to watch when your able to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3