Forum - View topic
Neon Alley Sold Out

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thenobleshinobi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
This was a great, very creative and innovative idea! A 24/7 anime streaming channel that was growing and expanding in the right direction. To sell off to Hulu and to go free just seems like a very bad business decision when it's been hard enough as is to get a dedicated anime channel in the US period, cable and satellite companies don't offer any than the VOD subs which IMO Neon Alley was a better sub than to sub to cable or satellite, this was just very bad even after just 1 year anniversary this is sad and I'm upset.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
It was only a matter of time, neon alley was destined to fail from the beggining. It was just to late in the game to try a linear cable service when fans had already become spoiled with so many On Demand choices. That ontop of the giant hurdle that is starting a brand from scratch; Viz just doesnt posses the resources to generate brand recognition and product awareness. This was a smart decision to merge with hulu.
Now they can piggyback off of Hulu's mainstream popularity, while reallocating their resources to putting out the best possible product. Hopefully with a direct partnership with Hulu they can work out a deal where Viz shows are getting promoted on the homepage and as reccomendations after people view, let's say, a "doctor who" episode.
venture2000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I am disheartened that the Neon Alley linear channel is shutting down too.

If you read between the lines it means that there isn't a big enough audience here in the US to support a linear channel. The Anime Network realized that, The Funimation Channel is slowly realizing that and I believe Neon Alley already realized that. That is why they did what the did.

The new model is video on demand. Perhaps, I am from a different era, but I enjoyed the ability to tune in at random times (to the linear channel) to watch programming I would not have otherwise watched on a VOD platform. I have discovered many a series that way.

With video on demand, the viewer is shown many, many titles and left trying to figure out what series to watch based on the attractiveness of a particular program's title card. (kind of like being in a video store from yesteryear). That is not how I prefer to watch anime and especially not on a computer screen.

I wish Neon Alley the best, but come April 1st my viewing options will switch back to the occasional anime program aired on a random cable or satellite channel. I guess that means I am moving away from the genre.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
come April 1st my viewing options will switch back to the occasional anime program aired on a random cable or satellite channel. I guess that means I am moving away from the genre.

Sorry to hear that the change in format means you'll be enjoying the genre less, but I can appreciate the preference for a linear channel. Let me however, attempt to soften the blow with some alternatives:

If the main concern is being exposed to anime you wouldn't have given a second look based on cover art, why not ask for recommendations in the forums here or on crunchyroll.com?

If the social aspect of that is unappealing to you or is too much work, why not try hulu.com or netflix. Both will provide you with automatic recommendations based on your viewing habits.

There's still Toonami on tv, granted only one night out of the week. And you can always send an email to your cable provider saying you want more anime programing. You'd be surprised what an impact that can have. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck.
venture2000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
As I write this, we are just a few hours away from saying goodbye to Neon Alley's linear anime channel which for many of us who lost the Funimation Channel was a more than adequate replacement.

With the channel leaving those who wish to continue to watch anime will be forced into the ever prevalent VOD format (because the audience is not large enough to support a actual channel) or go back to watching individual anime programs on cable or satellite(fragmented anime).

This unfortunate future was alluded to in a Hey Answerman column from last October. On the eve of this channel's demise, I thought I would leave the link for those of you who haven't read the article.

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2013-10-04
0Seru0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote
I loved the idea of watching a 24/7 dub channel while paying solely to supporting the industry.

Neon alley was the first anime service that kept me of torrenting.

I have great moments and memories of the channel, but the way it ended made me hate Viz even more.

Now, it's time to clean the dust out of my Bakabt account.
DENelson83

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:39 am Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:
This was a smart decision to merge with hulu.

Canada, and by extension the rest of the Anglosphere outside the US, strongly disagrees with that assessment. Hulu has gone to great pains to keep non-US viewers out of its service, and I don't see that ever changing. And Viz apparently does not do business in Canada, and also has no plans to anytime in the near or even distant future.
clipeuh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
DENelson83 wrote:
noblesse oblige wrote:
This was a smart decision to merge with hulu.

Canada, and by extension the rest of the Anglosphere outside the US, strongly disagrees with that assessment. Hulu has gone to great pains to keep non-US viewers out of its service, and I don't see that ever changing. And Viz apparently does not do business in Canada, and also has no plans to anytime in the near or even distant future.

As a fellow Canadian who sent multiple nagging emails to Viz for years about letting us see their shows, I just caved in and got one of those free proxy that gives you access to America-only content. It's kind of a drag but it's worth it for Hulu.

It may be in one of those legal greyzones, but I still sit through their terrible ads just as much as a real american, so I don't feel too guilty. Netflix and Hulu could find a way to block all of those extensions, but they don't so I assume there's some sort of tacit approval of them.
DENelson83

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
clipeuh wrote:
As a fellow Canadian who sent multiple nagging emails to Viz for years about letting us see their shows, I just caved in and got one of those free proxy that gives you access to America-only content. It's kind of a drag but it's worth it for Hulu.

Except Viz said in its press release that its licence for Sailor Moon applied to North America. Last I checked, "North America" in the English-speaking world means "US and Canada". So why would Viz then turn around and release the show only in the States? That is callously duplicitous to say the least. BTW, did you notice that Viz is the only major North American anime distributor that completely ignores Canada? With Viz acquiring my only favourite anime, it now finds itself in a colossal conundrum.

I will not be satisfied until I see Sailor Moon legally released back into Canada—not just the new anime, but the original as well. I have an active campaign on Twitter called "Operation Maple Moon", with the objective of pressuring Viz into expediting such a release.

BTW, off the top of your head, how many years did you spend e-mailing Viz on that front?
clipeuh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:30 am Reply with quote
DENelson83 wrote:
BTW, off the top of your head, how many years did you spend e-mailing Viz on that front?

Sent one or two mails back when they first launched VizAnime (like 4 or 5 years ago something like that) then later on their Facebook page. Never really got a conclusive answer other than "we are looking into blablabla".

Good luck on your campaign, they're really missing out on a bunch of viewers here.
DENelson83

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:39 am Reply with quote
Well then, maybe it's time to start telephoning them. I have the phone number for Viz in San Francisco. If you want to know what it is, send me a PM. It's not toll free, though, so be prepared to spend a little money.
venture2000

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
(insert audio clip of the Pharrel Williams song)

I have the Funimation Channel back! (not video on demand, the actual channel).

I just hope that the channel doesn't shut down like Neon Alley or Anime Network did or get pulled by the tv provider- like Verizon did back in 2012. Time will tell, I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1