• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Appleseed Theatrical List Updated

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, another movie I won't get to see until it releases on DVD (most likely from Geneon, since they are a partner in the production committee). Sad

I hope anime starts getting more distribution. It would really make money if only there were more theaters carrying them. (The list for Appleseed is pretty good, but if you are not near a major city [like me], then that's one person they lost $5-$8 they could have had with wider distribution. Add many more people to that, and you get thousands (if not tens of thousands) that just slip through their fingers every time...)
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
this is sad to me though, i'd love for this movie to be mainstreamed in kerasotes theaters, but they don't even carry it, so i'll have to head up to chicago somewheres. meh, the weatehr sux

i need news on the second week release schedule, anything?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there is the market to warrant a wide release, and, while there would be a few people who would go who won't be able to, it's probably not enough to justify the tens of millions they'd spend on prints and advertising for a true wide release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:22 pm Reply with quote
but for the movie itself, is it not sellable to american audiances? really is it not accessible enough to the americanmind? it's a fricken gorgeous animated movie with very fluid animation and a lot of cool enough carnage and action, x_x

do i have to say deunan is hot? bah

ah n/m ijust figure it can be done right if they bothered to do it at all, that's just me tho. one of these days the will do just that with another movie down the line, one of these days, sigh

still need a second week release schedule o.o;; guess i'll just have to wait it out
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:42 pm Reply with quote
There's enough of a domestic market for anime films for them to sell well enough on DVD, where the overhead is much lower than for a theatrical wide release, for the profits to be interesting to the studios, but, make no mistake, it's only a niche market and there just isn't the critical mass of adults necessary to warrant spending the amount of money necessary to give it a wide release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:01 am Reply with quote
Actually, I think Appleseed will do well, because it's more Western than most anime. Now whether it'll do well enough to overcome its R rating is another story.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:31 am Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
ah n/m ijust figure it can be done right if they bothered to do it at all, that's just me tho. one of these days the will do just that with another movie down the line, one of these days, sigh

I don't think it would do well enough to warrant the wide release. They'd probably lose tens of millions of dollars if they tried one. Which, I'm certain, is why they aren't....

-t
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:39 am Reply with quote
FWIW, the Western reviews have been mostly negative.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
FWIW, the Western reviews have been mostly negative.

Meh! Western critics would diss virtually any movie unless it's some mundane independent comedy/drama. I make it a practice of never taking a critic's comment too seriously.
(and the same can be said for some of ANN's reviews Razz )

One should always judge for themselves wether or not it may appeal to their tastes. I liked Appleseed, just like i thought Casshern was awesome. So there. Razz
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
I only brought it up because when the critics are largely united in favor of a movie (like Spirited Away) it suggests that the film has a market outside the niche market, but when they are united against it that suggests the niche market is pretty much it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I won't type/quote the Critic's entire review, word per word (The review's caption reads; "At it's core, Appleseed' leaves bland taste") but i'll just add his last paragraph;

Quote:
"Appleseed" was shot in what is called "3D live Anime," which is supposed to be a breakthrough process.

Unless you're an expert,however the film looks like any number of recent anime features.
The action scenes might grab you,but there's a lot of talky downtime.
Worse, "Appleseed" has been dubbed into english,thereby losing much of any flavor it might have had.

Appleseed: one and a half stars, Elektra: one star. Confused Wink
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those cases where I have no problem believing the critic is right, but I can't know unless and until I see the movie. Since I'm not inclined to see either Appleseed or Electra even if the critics dig them, though... guess we'll all have to make our own calls.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Aaron:
Quote:

I only brought it up because when the critics are largely united in favor of a movie (like Spirited Away) it suggests that the film has a market outside the niche market, but when they are united against it that suggests the niche market is pretty much it.

And yet Spirited Away made less than Yu Gi Oh, despite it having better reviews than the latter film.

soultaker: Seeing legal clips of Elektra at Yahoo, I'd probably vie for Appleseed as well.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I didn't say if the critics all like it, it will make lots of money. I was only talking about the potential market. A film like Spirited Away has more sales potential and better shelf life than Yu-Gi-Oh, but it didn't get hustled the way it needed to be.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
soultaker: Seeing legal clips of Elektra at Yahoo, I'd probably vie for Appleseed as well.

If you're skeptical of Elektra,try looking at this clip instead. http://www.fantastic411.com/ Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2