• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blast of Tempest (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exaar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
Still enjoying the heck out of this show. I'm a big Shakespeare fan though, and all the Shakespearean elements definitely help up my enjoyment.

To the previous poster who mentioned that their biggest complaint was how "anime-ey" the show is, what with its revenge and mages etc, I have to say that (while a lot of anime DO feature such things) in this case it's almost all lifted straight from Shakespeare. The play 'The Tempest' which this series seems to draw from, is about a sorcerer trapped on an island and involving a monster and revenge.

In that same vein, after episode two, I really, really love Mashiro's character. The more I see of him, the more he screams 'Shakespearean character' to me. It's not only his motivation (crazed Revenge-seeking) but just the way he speaks, the types of phrases he uses, etc. He reminds me of crazy Shakespeare characters like Tybalt etc.

As for Yoshino, I do this his behavior is a bit creepy but I also think it is intentional for us to view it that way. He seems strangely disconnected from the real world, but I don't think it is poor writing, I think he is supposed to come across that way. It even doesn't seem to occur to him to worry about his parents until Mashiro asks him about them. I keep going back to what Aika said about him in the first episode - how he's a liar, a born con man who hides his true face from the world. Now, obviously she was referring to their spoiler[secret relationship] but that phrase may have been intended as more all-encompassing than that.

My prediction going forward (based purely on speculation, I have read none of the manga) is that despite what we see now, Yoshino is going to end up being by far the more dangerous of the pair.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

spoiler[Yoshino & Mahiro. What a pair!
That mage guy was just too strong to be taken lightly.
Mahiro was totally like a rabid dog in that fight.
Quarantining the city is not good...
Yoshino seems to be the smarter and cool headed one.
Those two are like fire and water, a perfect match.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3
A lot of action in this episode from the very beginning. Also, spoiler[the Tree of Genesis apparently requires two powers.]

I admire Mahiro's efforts in the fight against that "spear guy". The kid's tough with those flash steps and is determined even using a spoiler[gun].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Continuing to enjoy the show, and I'm liking how they're expanding on stuff from the manga. The fight scenes continued to impress, and made good use of the city environment, with cars being smashed and lots of impressive destruction.

Yoshino was pretty clever this episode. spoiler[At first I didn't understand what he did with the healing magic, then I realized he used it on the blood from Mahiro's phone and followed the blood as it returned to Mahiro. Nice.]

I love the little details in the show. For example, spoiler[after the first bridge is taken out, we see Yoshino looking at a map and taking note of the second explosion. This is all done while he's talking to Hakaze about something totally different, so it's easy to miss. But it makes the scene near the end, where he knows where the missiles will strike next, more credible than in the manga, where it seemed more like Yoshino got lucky.]

Overall I am excited with how the adaption is going so far.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if anyone noticed a particular point in the exchange between Yoshino and Hakazi. Hakazi is explaining the principles of the sort of magic her clan uses. At one point, Yoshino asks if it is possible for that magic to revive the dead. Hakazi said it was not, which Yoshino said he pretty much expected. However, Yoshino then mentions something about magic being miracles, and how irrational the whole thing was anyway, even though the Kusarabi's clan's magic is supposed to actually ensure stability in reality. I forget his exact comments, but Hakazi suddenly started to think that she couldn't figure Yoshino out.

Hakazi doesn't know that spoiler[Yoshino loved Aika], but *we do*. When looked at in that context, and including some of Yoshino's other comments, it seems to me that he is going to at the very least look into the magic provided by the other tree: the only that breaks down laws instead of strengthening them (not the ceremony being performed in the earlier episode with chains being broken). A power that might be able to defy death, because defying death is irrational in the current world.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Okay, episode 3, here we go...

The way I feel about it, when he asked if magic could revive the dead and was told that it wouldn't because it was irrational, I think that since he sees the stuff as irrational anyway, perhaps there's a chance to do the irrational with the irrational...or something like that.

The music is so big and epic, almost like the show is too tame for it. Like the score belongs in some big summer blockbuster and not here.

Also, there's so much quality animation this season! This, KyoAni, K...it's really cool.

Not too much Evangeline (Conspirator so fine) this week. I have a question, though. In anime, when somebody gets patched up after a beating, there's always that little band-aid across the bridge of the nose. Did Eva get popped there or what? I don't recall her, so is it just for show? Like 'oh, she has a bandage coz she got hurt'?

Finally:

Hungry? Grab a Znickers.
Riddley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this show, but I'm mystified by all the Shakespearean quotes.

I'm just waiting for, "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now? Your gambols? Your songs? Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?"
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I wonder if anyone noticed a particular point in the exchange between Yoshino and Hakazi. Hakazi is explaining the principles of the sort of magic her clan uses. At one point, Yoshino asks if it is possible for that magic to revive the dead. Hakazi said it was not, which Yoshino said he pretty much expected. However, Yoshino then mentions something about magic being miracles, and how irrational the whole thing was anyway, even though the Kusarabi's clan's magic is supposed to actually ensure stability in reality. I forget his exact comments, but Hakazi suddenly started to think that she couldn't figure Yoshino out.

Hakazi doesn't know that spoiler[Yoshino loved Aika], but *we do*. When looked at in that context, and including some of Yoshino's other comments, it seems to me that he is going to at the very least look into the magic provided by the other tree: the only that breaks down laws instead of strengthening them (not the ceremony being performed in the earlier episode with chains being broken). A power that might be able to defy death, because defying death is irrational in the current world.
I was thinking pretty much the same thing. I sure hope it goes there, because I do get tired of "best friends turn into enemies for no particularly good reason." Not that these two are friends. No, sir.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

spoiler[So those two managed to get away from the city, but not from the curse.
It was kinda funny how they just casually borrow someones house.
Flashback to their childhood days was a nice addition to the story.
At least we found out how those two became close friends.]

Nice, relaxing episode ^^
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Yah, I noticed that but forgot to mention it. I'm very curious to see where that plot thread goes, as it seems like either obvious foreshadowing or a deliberate red herring.

Episode 4

A breather episode of sorts, after the craziness of the last 3 episodes. spoiler[It was amusing to see how the celery became something of a running thing with Yoshino. The story of how Mahiro and Yoshino met was nicely done, and I loved the scene near the end where Yoshino tells the lie about the puppy. Overall this episode did a good job of fleshing out their weird friendship.

Also, I guess since Hakaze is in fairly skimpy clothes throughout this show, they decided that this episode Mahiro could provide some fanservice of a different sort with that bath scene. ]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4
Ye, this was just a relaxing episode of memories and flashbacks. Mashiro is a pretty tough kid imo. I used to remember someone like him as a friend when I was a kid. Good times, good times. Also, that story at the end...The greatest friendship tale ever told

Just overall a relaxing episode. Expecting some action next time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

A really nice episode. Easy-going, but full of development. It really helped personify Yoshino and Mahiro's relationship, as well as show the softer side of both of them.

I know that I bring it up in almost every post of mine, but the music is amazing! It has hints of Joe Hisaishi, but still shines with Michiru Oshima's originality. Big when it needs to be, soft and moving at other times...I can't wait for the OST to be available. That song that plays near the end, when Yoshino goes out for his morning walk was especially nice. Overall, the music does an excellent job at doing what it's supposed to: setting a great atmosphere and just being really pretty.

There was a lack of Evangeline (conspirator so fine) this episode, but the preview shows that we'll be seeing her, Salmon and a good fight or two next time.

This is a fiiiine show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah relaxing episode, spoiler[only an entire small villaged killed this time, with a heartbreaking scene of seeing two terified children imortalised in the dankness of metal.] Oh, there was also the subplot about spoiler[the attempted murder of a child, that was solved by emotional blackmail.]

Are the characters even trying to stop the events? Why don't they just try to find where Hakaze is?Why didn't they get colds or even sneeze from being in the rain? Why aren't butterflies turned into iron? Plus living animals turn, but meats don't, unless the fridge protects it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Hey man, if I wanna relax, I'll take a nice hot shower. When I'm watching a show called "Blast of Tempest" I expect ... nay, DEMAND ... action and lots of it. Let's have no more boring flashback to our childhood episodes, shall we? And not even a frame of Legs Magee anywhere to be seen? Unforgivable.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm not blown away by this show, its ok so far, but I liked this episode and some background on the characters. I just thought it was told well and explained a bit about them and their relationship.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 27