Forum - View topic
Your thoughts and opinions on the service.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
I wish Viz didn't push back the release date for Tiger & Bunny...I was looking forward to it and I can't watch this internet TV station of these (dail-up sucks). Now I have to WAIT another 6 months to even see this BD release.

I mean, Inuyasha: Final Act part 1 is coming out next month. Why can't I get an early release of the Tiger & Bunny? This would be a blind buy for me, I just know it's about superheros and the director wrote it for people that that haven't been into anime for a while. Just release it as fast as you can, damn it.

And I bet people will use the excuse, "oh, it's on neon alley" and not buy it. It's what people do when there are official sub-only releases and not buy it because it's streaming on some site for free.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
When did they push it back? I remember them saying it will come out early next year

[EDIT: No need to quote an entire post if your reply is going to appear directly underneath. Only quote if the user is further up the page, or if you want to quote a specific part of text. Or, you can simply put "@user" to let them know you're talking to them. Thanks. -TK]
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
Sadly, it would've come out this year (at least the 1st part), but since it went onto Neon Alley, they pushed it back so to finish the run on the TV station. Like someone said, the UK release (might be wrong country) was even pushed back because of it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
I doubt that since Inuyasha:Final Act is coming in Novemeber.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't Blue Exorcist originally released sub-only, and then outcry from fans persuaded Aniplex (or whoever was in charge) to dub it? That just goes to show that dubs really are nothing to be messed with.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
No, the fans didn't persuade Aniplex to dub Blue Exorcist. They were mostly likely planning to dub it all along, but being Aniplex and all, they wanted some fast money and did faster sub-only sets. and from what I've heard, the sub-only sets sold poorly and they're hoping a dub will save it.

I think they're hesitate to dub anything because of how well the Durarara sets didn't sell for them and they were puzzled about it because they thought it was going to be a sure hit. Aniplex has a much to learn about the US market.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I do think the fans had something to do with it. A lot of folks were upset that not only was the show not dubbed, but it was overpriced, not on bluray, and that the DVD encodes were rather poor, especially when compared to Aniplex's other DVD releases like Durarara!!

It should've been dubbed in the first place, if you ask me. Shounen & action shows need dubs, plain and simple.

Also regarding DRRR's sales, it's interesting to note that for a while at least, pre-orders for the bluray were actually going rather well. It's still horribly overpriced for what it is, though. Ain't NO lunchbox on this earth worth $60 bucks. Confused
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Companies need to learn that they shouldn't follow the Japanese release/price model. No one is going to buy several single DVDs of 4-5 episodes at $30 a pop.

Take K-ON for example. The first season was only 13 episodes, and Bandai originally released them in 4 singles. Are you kidding me? Sentai however, released the 27 episode 2nd season in only two sets. THAT'S how shows should be released. California licensors really need to start taking cues from other licensors.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
Companies need to learn that they shouldn't follow the Japanese release/price model. No one is going to buy several single DVDs of 4-5 episodes at $30 a pop.

Durarara was sold as low as $42 for 9 episodes, that's double content of what singles were normally priced at. Drrr had a decent price, it's the only crap of theirs that's over priced.

First off, their sub-only limited sets. The 1st one they released onto the market was $72-75, that's a decent price, but the ones they've been putting onto the market now are up in the $150 range...that's to damn much, seeing as they're only sub-only and screwing themselves over because they set the started their sub market at the lower price. Next we have PMMM, they overpriced it. It's only 12 episodes long, half as long as Drr, it should've been priced as so. $75 on DVD and $90 on blu-ray. And with the poor dubbing the show was given, it's not worth the price they marked it at.

So far, Durarara is the only one that's priced right. If it turned out to be sub-only and they still charged $150 for it...it would've been over priced. And yes, AoA's office is in Japan, they don't have one in the states, so it's a bunch of native Japanese trying to market in the US and mostly didn't do research before coming over (such as taking look at how Funimation and Sentai does things)
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Actually, I do think the fans had something to do with it. A lot of folks were upset that not only was the show not dubbed, but it was overpriced, not on bluray, and that the DVD encodes were rather poor, especially when compared to Aniplex's other DVD releases like Durarara!!

It should've been dubbed in the first place, if you ask me. Shounen & action shows need dubs, plain and simple.

Also regarding DRRR's sales, it's interesting to note that for a while at least, pre-orders for the bluray were actually going rather well. It's still horribly overpriced for what it is, though. Ain't NO lunchbox on this earth worth $60 bucks. Confused

Completely agree with this about Blue Exorcist. And could not agree more with that middle part, I was also saying that the moment they announced those surprisingly sub-only DVDs for something like this.

Yeah, I'd hope the fans had some impact and also were why it was seemingly one of the prime picks Viz picked up in time to dub for Neon Alley. Those were the same reasons I didn't buy them despite really wanting to own this show at the time. To me this was certainly something that called for a US-friendly release like other shounen that sell well here. These shows certainly seem to be one of the best sellers in the US especially when released properly and with good dubs.

So glad to finally have a dub, it needs to get on BD too (I hope Viz can do it to go with this airing).
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
bldragon41 wrote:
So far I haven't had any problems as far as video goes. The problem that I have seen so far is that they tend to go to commercial right in the middle of one of the characters speaking. And when that happens, you never get to know what they said, because they pick up after that character is done talking. If they could time the commericals a little better, like to when they are at the half way point, it would be better.

This is a major one for me. Its why I dropped my HuluPlus subscription, which is another "pay to watch ads" system: ads breaking in at non ad-breaks.

I mean, you have 4 ad breaks with an anime episode: between shows, after the opening, at the eyecatch, before the end. It shouldn't be rocket science to get the ads into the available ad breaks.

Its especially annoying when it happens on a service that is designed for anime.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
bldragon41 wrote:
So far I haven't had any problems as far as video goes. The problem that I have seen so far is that they tend to go to commercial right in the middle of one of the characters speaking. And when that happens, you never get to know what they said, because they pick up after that character is done talking. If they could time the commericals a little better, like to when they are at the half way point, it would be better.

This is a major one for me. Its why I dropped my HuluPlus subscription, which is another "pay to watch ads" system: ads breaking in at non ad-breaks.

I mean, you have 4 ad breaks with an anime episode: between shows, after the opening, at the eyecatch, before the end. It shouldn't be rocket science to get the ads into the available ad breaks.

Its especially annoying when it happens on a service that is designed for anime.

On the plus side at least this is more like Toonami with only one break in the middle, but I do agree I'm not really sure why they aren't just using the middle eyecatches for the break, it would be good if they could fix this when they cut the next sets of eps. Hopefully they're fully aware of this since it's been discussed since they started and since it also effected the commercials so they'll need to also make sure the new commercials they make don't get cut off like some of the first set too.
Neon Alley Moderator
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
I wish Viz didn't push back the release date for Tiger & Bunny...I was looking forward to it and I can't watch this internet TV station of these (dail-up sucks). Now I have to WAIT another 6 months to even see this BD release.

Don't forget VIZ also has a ton of anime that's download to own. You can get Tiger & Bunny Ep 1 in HD from iTunes, GooglePlay, Amazon Video on Demand and the XBOX marketplace.

Currently the strategy is the same as what we've done before. We release DTO (download to own) episodes in HD(if avail) and SD the day after its on TV. Look for new eps of TB and InuYasha The Final Act on Sat. and Nura on Sunday.

Not sure if the strategy will change later, but at least that's how it is right now.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
It's a bit minor but one thing I'd like to see is subtitled lyrics for the opening and ending songs as well as subtitles for signs and stuff so viewers can read them. I know Viz doesn't normally do that for the dub track of their releases but it would be pretty nice to have here.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Okay, got a bit of a minor issue here. I was looking forward to catching the second episodes of Tiger & Bunny and Inuyasha: the Final Act but ended up missing them because the schedule is listed in PST! Is there anyway to change it to EST?

edit: never mind, I figured it out. But now I'm getting an error message evey time I try to log in! Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5