Forum - View topic
Your thoughts and opinions on the service.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
This topic, as stated above, is where you can post all your thoughts and opinions on Viz Media's new online anime streaming channel Neon Alley.

So who else has the service? What are your thoughts on it so far? Are you pleased? Displeased? What could they do in your opinion to help fix it?

Personally, here are the issues I've encountered so far:

• The pop-up schedule listing needs MAJOR work. It only tells you the name of the show, the title of the episode, and the time it comes on. It doesn't, however, list the individual number of the episode, which makes it hard to tell if it's a re-run or not. It also doesn't list the date, so if you check forward past a certain point, you can't tell which day the show you want to watch comes on. You just kinda have to guess. Of course, you can always check NeonAlley.com for the complete schedule, but it would be much more user friendly if it just told you those things right there.

• While checking the schedule, the service has a tendency to malfunction. When it does, it locks up, the entire screen goes black, and NOTHING less than a hard reset will get any sort of reaction out of it. This is a potentially serious flaw, and since I've been using the service it has already happened to me three times.

• The quality can be pretty iffy at times. At first I contributed this to my internet connection, until I learned from other users who had very expensive, strong internet lines that it was happening to them as well. At certain parts of the video, the quality seems to take a nosedive from YouTube quality to absolutely-abysmal dial-up quality video. The sound also really suffers during these moments as well. While the service touts that they offer HD video, I have yet to truly see any video quality that I would describe as "high-def".

• The schedule could use a lot more variety. So far the shows that get played the most are Naruto and Inuyasha. While those are indeed popular shows, they have a tendency to get played in big one and two hour long blocks, while every other show is only streamed in single episodes. As for their back catalog, Buso Renkin, NANA, and Death Note are all cool, but I was really hoping they'd dig a bit deeper into Viz's catalog and pull out some of their old classics. I'd absolutely kill to see some Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, or Hikaru no Go on there. I know they may not own the DVD rights to those shows anymore, but they never said they don't or can't get the streaming rights.

• I'm cool with them showing commercials and all, but those too need more variety. I keep seeing the exact same ones for IGN, RightStuf, and Cardfight Vanguard over and over again. Not to mention they play that blasted "Premiere Schedule" screen literally 8 times between every episode and commercial break. My suggestion is to show more anime trailers, even if the show in question isn't streaming on the channel. I saw the Shakugan no Shana trailer on there a few times, and they don't own the rights to that at all. Adding a few more trailers from FUNi, Sentai & Viz would help break up the monotony.

• And lastly, they need more Neon Alley Shorts, because if I have to sit through that God-forsaken mosquito song again, I'm gonna choke somebody. Mad

Anyways, those are my current thoughts on the service. All in all it has promise, but still needs quite a bit of work.

What do you guys think?
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

• The quality can be pretty iffy at times. At first I contributed this to my internet connection, until I learned from other users who had very expensive, strong internet lines that it was happening to them as well. At certain parts of the video, the quality seems to take a nosedive from YouTube quality to absolutely-abysmal dial-up quality video. The sound also really suffers during these moments as well. While the service touts that they offer HD video, I have yet to truly see any video quality that I would describe as "high-def".

Thank you for saying this. I'm so glad I'm not the only one experiencing quality issues. I thought my Internet was too slow as well. The video and audio quality ranges from SD to abysmal to me, and I have never seen anything HD-worthy on the network. Maybe it's not good quality because the first week is only a test run, so they're saving their money until they see that Neon Alley is profitable. Either that, or their servers are busted.

Then again, what company would be stupid enough to hold back on good-quality video during the first week of service? Poor quality would turn people off. There's gotta some problem they're experiencing. Hopefully they fix that in the next update.
MadarakiFran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
You might keep track of when the quality dips and see if it happens again in a rerun. I'm starting to think its a problem with the way they've been encoding the episodes.

A lot of good points on the guide. I think it'd be good to have a graphic for NEW or Premiere for premiere episodes.

As far as the commercials go, it's pretty much a give it time sort of thing. As the channel becomes more successful they might be able to attract more sponsors. We see a glut of the same commercials because they're the only sponsors. The commercial content is really great though, I think. It's much more targeted than what I had seen on the Funimation channel. I'd much rather see a Cardfight!! Vanguard commercial than Inventhelp or the newest Pocket Fisherman.
getchman
He started itHe started it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
i haven't signed up yet, but i plan to very soon. wanted to wait a few days while bugs get fixed
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I wish Viz good luck on their new adventure, but paying for a linear channel with limited commercials is bs. I am sorry, but this is my honest opinion about your service.
bldragon41

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
So far I haven't had any problems as far as video goes. The problem that I have seen so far is that they tend to go to commercial right in the middle of one of the characters speaking. And when that happens, you never get to know what they said, because they pick up after that character is done talking. If they could time the commericals a little better, like to when they are at the half way point, it would be better.
CXHazuki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I have no interest in the service, I prefer the on demand model used by crunchyroll and hulu, both of which I can watch on my ps3 as well as pretty much every device imaginable. While I definitely want to watch the dub for Tiger and Bunny and am interested in Lagrange, I will just wait for DVD releases.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
CXHazuki wrote:
I have no interest in the service, I prefer the on demand model used by crunchyroll and hulu, both of which I can watch on my ps3 as well as pretty much every device imaginable. While I definitely want to watch the dub for Tiger and Bunny and am interested in Lagrange, I will just wait for DVD releases.

Sort of wish they would just release them as soon as they can. People will buy them, while the others will keep watching the weekly stream. If they stream it, I doubt more people will buy it because they'll use the excuse of "it's on Neon Alley, no point in buying it."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mgfan2029

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
To me the biggest flaw with the service is the schedule look up because when i try to look through the show's it locks my ps3 and as OP stated it doesn't take less then a hard reset to fix it. Viz really needs to correct this.

My other pet peeves with the service is the video quality and i know this is a new service but it could use a little more variety of shows.

Other then that I really hope this new service succeeds so that we can get a lot more variety on the channel.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

• The pop-up schedule listing needs MAJOR work. It only tells you the name of the show, the title of the episode, and the time it comes on. It doesn't, however, list the individual number of the episode, which makes it hard to tell if it's a re-run or not. It also doesn't list the date, so if you check forward past a certain point, you can't tell which day the show you want to watch comes on. You just kinda have to guess. Of course, you can always check NeonAlley.com for the complete schedule, but it would be much more user friendly if it just told you those things right there.

Actually, if you highlight one of the shows and hit your X button, it does give you more information. This app is very specific with the X button needing to be used verse the Enter (which I find a bit annoying at times). Still, it doesn't give you all the information you mentioned and I agree the pop up schedule needs work. I'd like to see a option that brings up the entire upcoming seven days schedule, myself.

Quote:

I'm not having a issue with the pop up menu crashing me, FWIW. I'm also not having major issues with video or sound quality (none really with sound but a few minor things with video). I do seem to get the HD quality on most things but my wireless and dial up are decent so this could be why. However, I am having problems with freeze ups that are making me miss parts of shows and have posted a thread on that.

I'm skipping the part about schedule - I would hope they realize they'll need to expand it but I realize this is their first week and that will get worked out over time.

Quote:
• I'm cool with them showing commercials and all, but those too need more variety. I keep seeing the exact same ones for IGN, RightStuf, and Cardfight Vanguard over and over again. Not to mention they play that blasted "Premiere Schedule" screen literally 8 times between every episode and commercial break. My suggestion is to show more anime trailers, even if the show in question isn't streaming on the channel. I saw the Shakugan no Shana trailer on there a few times, and they don't own the rights to that at all. Adding a few more trailers from FUNi, Sentai & Viz would help break up the monotony.

Tonight they had a Top Digital Download Manga release and last night they ran one for something else (Video sales?). They're obviously rolling out stuff as we go. Also, you forgot to mention the Funimation and VIZ ads that are running (Funi has Shana and One Piece and Viz has Naurato and it's more than one season on all of them, I think). I do have to say, and I think another poster brought it up, that the commercial breaks are a bit wonky at times. They're cutting out dialog. In reverse some of the commercials are cut wonky as well. Is that a trailer for Shanna S2 that's trying to air? The full Funi one for S1 is airing but there's another one that's getting truncated badly and I think it's for S2.

Quote:
• And lastly, they need more Neon Alley Shorts, because if I have to sit through that God-forsaken mosquito song again, I'm gonna choke somebody. Mad

LOL! You are so right on that one! I thought maybe they could put on School House Rock ones, if they had the rights but that's just me being super silly (I know they don't have those rights) and being nostalgic all week (for some reason I have Lolly Lolly Lolly and Inter-planet Janet stuck in my head and they popped in from the ether) Laughing

An with that I need to go unlock my PS3 because NA just froze up again :p
MadarakiFran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I actually really like the shows. The Funimation channel, when I first got it, barely had any good shows. Before Fios decided to drop it from the lineup it had gotten a lot better though, so there's some real hope. I kinda dig that it's like a Shonen Jump channel.

I do like having the linear channel. VOD service would be a logical extension in the future though. I wouldn't count it out from ever happening.
TigerC10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

I'm hoping that the commercials are inserted just to fill space out to make a 22 minute show span 30 minutes. If Viz is taking money to run these ads, then the price of the service needs to drop immediately.

I don't mind repetitive ads, same thing happened on Funimation channel when they first launched. Can't "sell" ad space without providing audience numbers.

SpacemanHardy wrote:

Oh gawd, I heard it 4 times in the hour I watched tonight. Makes me want to puke every time. Is Viz trying to be cool? Are they trying to reach out to urban youth? Yuck.

MadarakiFran wrote:
It's much more targeted than what I had seen on the Funimation channel. I'd much rather see a Cardfight!! Vanguard commercial than Inventhelp or the newest Pocket Fisherman.

8. That's the average number of credit cards in a person's wallet that made me want to bludgen myself over the head. I saw that adspot on the Funi channel so much that I started quoting the commercial line-by-line and when friends came over and I did it they got weirded out.

bldragon41 wrote:
So far I haven't had any problems as far as video goes. The problem that I have seen so far is that they tend to go to commercial right in the middle of one of the characters speaking. And when that happens, you never get to know what they said, because they pick up after that character is done talking. If they could time the commericals a little better, like to when they are at the half way point, it would be better.

Yeah, that ticks me off to no end. There was an entire scene shift during the commercial. When it came back I had no idea how the characters went from one place to another - or what they were talking about. Broke my involvement with the show pretty badly.

Send your complaints through this e-mail form:

http://www.neonalley.com/​support

Send multiple complaints if you have to. Send them daily. Send repeats. Tell them your grandma came to visit and complained too. The only way Viz will sit up and take notice, is if you complain through their official channel for support.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
bldragon41 wrote:

Yeah, that's the only real issue I've encountered so far. It's also effecting pretty much all the commercials and trailers I've seen so hopefully since it's almost a universal issue it's something that will be fixed shortly. The commercials seemingly cut off a few seconds before the end like the Beserk Movie premiere one where they're in the middle of saying "check the schedule for repeat times" or something like that and the ones for the new anime sets. Yeah, I think that's the S2 Shana set that keeps getting truncated.

Hopefully they're becoming aware of this through the feedback and will fix it so that the leaving the show and returning to the show mid-break commercial for future eps of any show doesn't cut off anything and especially any lines of dialogue. This is an important fix.

Improving the pop up guide would be great and soon will be really needed/handy. So I'd definitely love to see them spruce up the pop-up schedule, especially once we're out of the first week and there's a large mix of premieres and old eps, if possible a "new" icon or a color code for the premieres might be good too.

Otherwise quite enjoying it so far. As said, it's kind of like a Shonen Jump + Toonami/AS action channel plus a few other nice shows that are harder to get on TV, so it almost feels like watching a "Toonami+", which is quite good. And it'll apparently add another genre I like later with some mecha in Lagrange.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote
Can't say, Viz have this awful thing about not wanting to take my money because oh noes I'm british.
getchman
He started itHe started it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Can't say, Viz have this awful thing about not wanting to take my money because oh noes I'm british.

well, just like Funimation they are restricted to Canada and the U.S.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5