• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Mickey Mouse anime series?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, for those of you who can probably tell by the profile picture I have, yes, I am a HUGE Disney fan. I have so much love and respect for the company and its history, that I would love to have a career with them someday as either an animator or a marketing executive. I started my career with the company this year as a Walt Disney World cast member as part of the Disney College Program, and my program lasted from January to June of this year.

Anyway, I heard in 2011 that a feature length Mickey Mouse movie is in development at Walt Disney Animation Studios right now. However, I have a better idea in mind. Do you know how Stitch from 2002's Lilo & Sitich had his own anime series back in 2008? Well, I'm hoping they do the same thing with Mickey Mouse in the near future. I think it would be cool to see Disney's mascot in a Japanese anime. And, hypothetically speaking, I think Shin-Ei Animation (the studio behind Doraemon) should co-produce the series. What are your thought on a Mickey Mouse anime?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Horrible idea. Mickey Mouse is as American as an animated character can get. I dearly, dearly hope no one ever even considers doing something like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Horrible idea. Mickey Mouse is as American as an animated character can get. I dearly, dearly hope no one ever even considers doing something like this.

back in the 30's mickey was about as close to an anime as could ever be done today.

it had blatant adult themes,smoking,drinking and sexual innuendo.even the ones from the 50's and 60's were more adult than whats considered today's mickey.

its almost impossible to find but a few of the original mickey mouse reels. not because they deteriorated as some have implied but because Disney chose to cater to a younger crowd and vaulted the old movies and shorts (they occasionally break out a few for documentary's and anniversary's) so as to not sully the characters reputation and disneys as well.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
Only if it's a Kingdom Hearts anime.
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Do you know how Stitch from 2002's Lilo & Sitich had his own anime series back in 2008?

Yeah. Wasn't very good, was it? Confused

(I think we have to accept that Disney, like Marvel, is just one of those things Japan just culturally doesn't get. They like it, but they just don't understand it enough to duplicate it effectively.
No offense to Kingdom Hearts II, though.)
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
Actually the Stitch anime was pretty nice. If only for the fact it had Yuna (a little girl who encouraged Stitch's aggressiveness, to the pont of wanting to fight people like Gantu by herself since she practices kung fu)

Though the difference is Lilo & Stitch has an established lore/thing to play off of and adapt; like an actual plot and villains to play with. Mickey Mouse is just a bunch of shorts, outside whatever movie he's parodying (Musketeers, Christmas Carol, etc). Unless you bring in Kingdom Hearts, anyway (though he's not much of main character in that, admittedly) In that regard, what would a Mickey Mouse series be about?
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Actually the Stitch anime was pretty nice. If only for the fact it had Yuna (a little girl who encouraged Stitch's aggressiveness, to the pont of wanting to fight people like Gantu by herself since she practices kung fu)

Though the difference is Lilo & Stitch has an established lore/thing to play off of and adapt; like an actual plot and villains to play with. Mickey Mouse is just a bunch of shorts, outside whatever movie he's parodying (Musketeers, Christmas Carol, etc). Unless you bring in Kingdom Hearts, anyway (though he's not much of main character in that, admittedly) In that regard, what would a Mickey Mouse series be about?

That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out. Wink

I'm all open to different ideas regarding a possible anime series with Mickey Mouse (yes, even a Kingdom Hearts anime would be fantastic). However, if any studio Disney would team up with decided to go all Sonic X on us with the plot (characters being sent to the real world, making friends with a young boy), then I would lose all interest in the series entirely.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about anyone else,but me,I'd like to see a Mickey Mouse anime series. They did anime versions of other American characters,what's wrong with Mickey Mouse? If Disney thinks it's ok,then why not? I don't have a problem with it.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind it, and think it could be interesting. Though I'd say, it would need to be dubbed and available in the States. Remember that Stitch anime didn't air in the US except for a week preview on Disney X D, and PPG Z didn't air here at all. And it would need Russi Taylor and the current Mickey voice who's name escapes me at the moment.

Last edited by Hitokiri Kenshin on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't agree with you more Hitokiri Kenshin. I could see Disney requesting Funimation to dub this potential anime. Bret Iwan and Russi Taylor could reprise their roles as Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse, and the voice actors for Donald Duck, Goofy, Pluto and other characters could reprise their respective roles. However, if the plot for this potential anime revolved around Mickey & friends being transported from their universe to Tokyo, Japan, I could see such talent as Vic Mignogna, Luci Christian, and Colleen Clinkenbeard doing voices for some potential original characters as well.
martinhulk1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Watched it when i'm in school. But now never have to lots of time to watch these type of stuffs. But Guy's its really nice cartoon to watch and one of mine favorite of that time. I enjoyed it so much.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quote
martinhulk1--
I just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to the fora! Anime catgrin Cool Anime smile Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1