• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Btooom! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The guy is human trash that can not be trusted,

But she is not.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
So Datespoiler[ finally showed his true intentions.
He was the one who betrayed Murasaki as well.
It's lucky Himiko is friends with Murasaki.
They never would have made it without her help.]

Well, all is well that ends well ^^
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:15 am Reply with quote
Boob Defense Shield - deploy!

All in all a pretty silly episode, but not without its entertainment value. I love how Sakamoto-stunned says, spoiler["The old naive me is dead, eff yeah!" And then two seconds later, "Good old Taira-san would never blade us!"] Dumbass.

Anyway, here's hoping for Season 2.
casualfan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
REALLY!?!? Because of a different view point he survived!! What a cheap ploy and a cop out. We all know he was not going to die so what was really point in pulling a stupid stunt like that? I thought the writing in this show was bad enough and they pull a stupid stunt like that.

Uh, no. Let me explain something about how our vision works. You see, we have two (2) eyes. And because our eyes are spaced a certain distance apart, they are able to focus on a particular point, which allows us to have something referred to as "depth perception", which means we can tell how far something is away from us.

With only one (1) eye, you lose your depth perception, and so it becomes difficult to tell just how far away things are. You can guess, but if you're not used to seeing things that way, your guess isn't likely to be very good.

The Bad Guy (Oda) was spoiler[tracking Sakamoto using only one (1) eye. Sakamoto knew this and so stood directly behind (from Bad Guy's angle) the trapped area. But Oda couldn't tell how far behind the trapped area Sakamoto was standing, and thought that Sakamoto, when he kneeled down, was actually right on top of it, when in fact Sakamoto was several feet away... outside of the kill radius of the blast.]

That Sakamoto even thought to do that is pretty amazing. However, in online gaming, based on what we saw of it, this trick would also work since depth of field is only approximated on a 2D surface of a monitor/TV, so he may have learned this technique in the game and not just come up with it on the fly.

So, it was not "because of a different view point," but becausespoiler[ Oda wasn't able to use his depth perception, and Sakamoto recognized this and took advantage of it.]

No I get all of that. It just really lame how they wrote that in. That is extremely lazy writing. It's as if they did not bother wanting to try and come up with a reason other then trick the viewer into something that happened, when really it did not. That is my problem. Why even bother with the whole thing in the first place then.

It's called dramatization, something very common in anime. Especially this anime. Realistically if a bomb blew up from a few meters, a normal human would die not just from the explosion, but from shrapnel. And yet the main cast of the show survived without a scratch over and over from episode 1. So if you're looking for a logical show, this isn't one of them.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
well, i dont know about the rest of you, but im hoping that plant gets trimmed a little bit in the BD's
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
When Taira spoiler[commits suicide the first thing I thought was "that explosion is waaaaaaaaaaaay too big for that type of bomb.] I then enjoyed the brilliant idea proposed by Himiko for spoiler[Ryouta to kill her. Kill the only person that matters to you, or kill the next crazy person that attacks you? Tough decisions to be made.] I'm actually impressed that they didn't go through with spoiler[a sex scene there. It would've probably been the least realistic thing so far if she was suddenly over her fears.]

I don't see anything about a second season anywhere, and I don't know if they were telling us there wouldn't be at the end, or if they were just messing with us. If you want to know what I'm referring to: spoiler[The final thing shown is "CONTINUE? YES/NO CREDIT 0"]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (final)

So it seem that they ended a season here with the plan of doing another season, I see that there is going to be a few people angry about that. A big reason of why they will be angry is that the idea that spoiler[they have so many pieces is that they should be able to beat the game and finish things, but though they should be at the end of the game, that does not mean they are near the end of the story]. This kind of worked as an inverse in the SAO anime, we thought that spoiler[floor 75 meant they were 3/4 of their journey, but then they managed to finish it there]. In Btooom! they have spoiler[managed to get 6/7ths of what they need, so according to the game they should be done, not enough for another season. ]

But the story does not have to actually spoiler[follow the rules of the game it is set in, instead the journey here seems to be that Sakamoto discovery about needing to be less self absorbed. And there seems to be the possibility that multiple players will be able to get off in a sequel season, since we find that there has been a mechanical failure within the game.] It actually seems that the guy who was spoiler[trying to get Saksmoto a job is having a hand in it. I am guessing that we will be seeing the rules of the game pulled apart, something started by the mechanical failure, and possibly ending with lots of people getting off].
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
Based on that ending, I sense a season 2 in the future although I did enjoy the series overall. spoiler[Tbh, I wanted to watch a duel between Himiko and Ryouta or at least, Oda vs. Ryouta again but neither happened Rolling Eyes]

Still though, I found some of the themes and characters done right. Hell, I'm going to miss that OP song now; one of my favorites from the Fall Season -

No PAIN, no GAME.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
Well okay. That seems like a decent way to leave things. They probably weren't going to be able wrap things up sufficiently. It'll be a bummer if the show never gets a season 2 but not much more so than if they'd just given us a crappy and rushed ending. So yeah, I'm happy to take a chance here.

And this was a really strong episode too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
I wasn't a huge fan of this last eppie, but I do look forward to Season 2 which I think is pretty inevitable. I don't know the sales figures for Btooom! but I haven't heard anything about them being crap, so I think a second helping is pretty much guaranteed.

As for the eppie itself, I just didn't buy spoiler[Sakamoto's take on Taira-san. When somebody is trying to blow you and your erstwhile girlfriend up, I simply don't buy that you're gonna be all understanding about it, "Oh, Taira-san, this is all my fault! I killed you!"] Horseshit. Oh well. That still wasn't enough to douse my enthusiasm for the show overall.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
Well he did say he was going to spoiler[go insane] if he left him again, but too distracted by blondie, I mean he is not as big as her's but his is not tiny, especially for a guy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote
But the whole reason Sakamoto "left" Taira-san in the first place is that he seemed to be dying from infection and went off to look for some medicine. What was he supposed to do - stay and watch Taira-san die? No, that whole element is crap. Plus I didn't like the fact that both Taira-san and Sakamoto were spoiler["talking" to figments of their imagination.] With Taira-san it made sense, but it was just dumb having Sakamoto do it, too.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote
ep.12

spoiler[so taira having sanity probs to point seeing his own family that cause him boom ryouta & himiko.

give ryouta wonder why cause of he leaving taira a lot during hurt leg so himiko to defend & ryouta leap save himiko to both find with ryouta telling shouting taira i'm sorry for everything.

with taira hearing see big lizards he did own sorry boom himself with ryouta going crying for taira give all cause this game is evil how ruined a lot of lives.

so after wonder himiko saying like take my chips but ryouta said no cue kiss with we will escape together & meanwhile evil company having some probs seem "someone" is rebel against evil company?

only wonder left will it continue yes or no?]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
Taira having a crisis..
Looks like everything that happened flipped a mental switch.
spoiler[Never thought he would turn on them..]
Lots of flashbacks in this episode.
spoiler[In the end the one getting hurt the most was himself.
Himiko was having a self-sacrifice moment.
It was nice, but useless 'cause Sakamoto would never leave her.]

Pretty sweet ending ^^
Marzan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:43 am Reply with quote
spoiler[ I got the feeling from the last scene (the "game continue yes/no Credit 0" that a continuation of this series is dependent on people buying the BD/DVD's? Or was it just being tongue in cheek?]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 19